Zumo 550 Address issue Europe 9.0

Mark6808

Well, I guess I should have learned to use my zumo sooner, as I leave in 6 days :eek:
Trying to input address in the City Navigator Europe, and having a little difficulty as the addys are much different than here in the States.:nenau

Can anyone help a total tosser out here, and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

First addy: Frankfurt Air Transat, Bldg 543 - Cargo City South
Room 2008 Export, Frankfurt/Main
( Just as it's written on the shipping label )

Second : Grianane
St Olaves Close
Ramsey
IM8 3HA

I'm starting to wonder if I have enough computer knowlege to get by, I best bring paper back up:blast

Thanks in advance
Mark 6808

Any helpful tips for a first time travler abroad will be greatly appreciaited, Zumo or other wise :bow

just had a quick go. And i cant find them either....!!!!
it really is pants when looking for an address...... Dont think ive found a house before. Always seem to have to make a sacrifice with street name , cant find post code etc......

Sorry cant be of more help......

Good luck:beerjug:

+1.

I can't find them either!!!!

When you get to Frankfurt Airport, just ask. Someone will know.

I've found 2 Grainane's in the Isle of Man, but neither are in Ramsey.

Good luck!

Second : Grianane
St Olaves Close
Ramsey
IM8 3HA

For St Olave's Close, find Coburg Road and just above that is a cul-de-sac pointing back towards Bowring Road - that's St Olave's Close, but according to the Map Viewer neither it or Aberland Road that it comes off are named.

I've added the two road names to the attached Map Viewer image, so just set a waypoint for somewhere on St Olaves Close to get the directions.

If you're still having trouble, contact me and I'll meet you to lead you up - when are you over? TT?

Attachments

• StOlavesRd.jpg
    StOlavesRd.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 259
First addy: Frankfurt Air Transat, Bldg 543 - Cargo City South
Room 2008 Export, Frankfurt/Main
( Just as it's written on the shipping label )

Also, as a guide, this is Building 543 at Frankfurt am Main (the ANA(NCA) building at lower centre):

fra_map.gif

The building is actually the AviaPartner warehouse, from what I can find online

For St Olave's Close, find Coburg Road and just above that is a cul-de-sac pointing back towards Bowring Road - that's St Olave's Close, but according to the Map Viewer neither it or Aberland Road that it comes off are named.

I've added the two road names to the attached Map Viewer image, so just set a waypoint for somewhere on St Olaves Close to get the directions.

If you're still having trouble, contact me and I'll meet you to lead you up - when are you over? TT?
My sources say "Aberland Road" is in fact "Cumberland Road".:nenau

My sources say "Aberland Road" is in fact "Cumberland Road".:nenau

You're quite right, having looked closer at the street map in the phone book, it is Cumberland Road - they've just painted the main road in red, over the top of the Cu bit of Cumberland, so I mis-read it lol

Lets try that map again :D

Attachments

• StOlavesRd.jpg
    StOlavesRd.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 263

The whole lot of UKGS'er are GREAT! samwise, thank you very much! I am over for the TT arrive in Douglas on 4 June 07

Regards Mark 6808
you can reach me @ mhesford @ cox (dot) com

Based upon samwise's map above and with a bit of mousing around in MapSource, I reckon that Building 543 at Frankfurt am Main is at N50 01.568 E8 33.608 (WGS84).

As an aside, I tend to agree with Bazza's description of CN's address finding facility as "pants". Many times I've found it impossible to find an address via the address search (especially for France), yet once I've located it by other means I can zoom in to the location and lo and behold, the CN map correctly identifies the road name that can't be found through the search :nenau

By way of an example, in CN9, try finding 1 Rue Grande, 27700 Les Andelys in France. Impossible :(

Now try searching for the Feature with Place Category = "Lodging", Name = "Hotel de Normandie" and City = "Les Andelys". Another failure :mad:

Now change the Name to "De Normandie". Success! :eek: Now look at the Properties of what you've just found, which are listed as:

De Normandie
1 Rue Grande
27700 Les Andelys, D27

Now zoom in to this place on the map... Yup, the road is definitely "Rue Grande" :spitfire

Like Bazza says: Pants.... :blast

Based upon samwise's map above and with a bit of mousing around in MapSource, I reckon that Building 543 at Frankfurt am Main is at N50 01.568 E8 33.608 (WGS84).

As an aside, I tend to agree with Bazza's description of CN's address finding facility as "pants". Many times I've found it impossible to find an address via the address search (especially for France), yet once I've located it by other means I can zoom in to the location and lo and behold, the CN map correctly identifies the road name that can't be found through the search :nenau

By way of an example, in CN9, try finding 1 Rue Grande, 27700 Les Andelys in France. Impossible :(

Now try searching for the Feature with Place Category = "Lodging", Name = "Hotel de Normandie" and City = "Les Andelys". Another failure :mad:

Now change the Name to "De Normandie". Success! :eek: Now look at the Properties of what you've just found, which are listed as:

De Normandie
1 Rue Grande
27700 Les Andelys, D27

Now zoom in to this place on the map... Yup, the road is definitely "Rue Grande" :spitfire

Like Bazza says: Pants.... :blast

I think in a perverted way :augie

I got the hotel on the first attempt.

Type in 1 in the number
Grande in the street and scroll down till you get to "Rue Grande"
Then the French Postcode.

I did get a lot of practice with checking all the BMW dealers in Europe, but .....I couldn't help the chap with his address on the IOM!

I think in a perverted way :augie

I got the hotel on the first attempt.

Type in 1 in the number
Grande in the street and scroll down till you get to "Rue Grande"
Then the French Postcode.

I did get a lot of practice with checking all the BMW dealers in Europe, but .....I couldn't help the chap with his address on the IOM!
Well, well... Perhaps "Perverse" or "Arcane" are better descriptions of CN's address location alogithm than "Pants" then :mmmm

I tried your method myself, and it worked. But the fact that it did work suggests that the indexing method that's used by CN is incomplete/incorrect in that "Rue Grande" can be selected when it is not bound by any other location data (e.g. city or postcode) but becomes unavailable when other location data is present. I'll experiment more when I have time, but based on this example, to say that the address search facility is illogical is being overly kind :cool:

Thanks for the info though. Maybe I need to adopt Garmin's (undocumented) logic to get the best out of their address search function. Bet you spent hours checking all the BMW dealers in Europe! :bow

Where it falls down big time is the street selection process that appears to not be narrowed down by any of the other criteria entered and even worse isn't sorted alphabetically. Why cant you just enter the street name as you do on the unit :nenau

Well, well... Perhaps "Perverse" or "Arcane" are better descriptions of CN's address location alogithm than "Pants" then :mmmm

I tried your method myself, and it worked. But the fact that it did work suggests that the indexing method that's used by CN is incomplete/incorrect in that "Rue Grande" can be selected when it is not bound by any other location data (e.g. city or postcode) but becomes unavailable when other location data is present. I'll experiment more when I have time, but based on this example, to say that the address search facility is illogical is being overly kind :cool:

Thanks for the info though. Maybe I need to adopt Garmin's (undocumented) logic to get the best out of their address search function. Bet you spent hours checking all the BMW dealers in Europe! :bow

Well St13phil, I like your sense of humour (failure?) . :D

Well St13phil, I like your sense of humour (failure?) . :D
It was my sense of humour - no failure in that department at this time :aidan

BTW, I tried the same sort of address search on my SP2720 and I can enter either the postcode (27700) or the city (Les Andelys) then type in the road name (Rue Grande) and it finds it a treat. So it's obviously a matter of how the search algorithm is coded in MapSource that's the problem :cool:

Sam, does the offer still stand? I'm on the road in Amsterdam today, Newcastle tommorow, ferry in on, Monday.
Can you send me your number to my email addy mhesford@cox.net
I'll access from the road, and call you when I get to town.
Cheers
Mark 6808

Back
Top Bottom