Hhheeelllp wittthhhh Stutttterring

monkeyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My flippin 1150 GSA is stuttering fit to explode. It did it momenterrily a month or so ago but now it's alllll thhhhheeee time. I could barely get it home tonight.

The throttles are balanced, TPS reset. Revs off the throttle fine with the clutch in. Riding it though is a nightmare:thedummy

It won't go above 80 in top, and faulters at any sign of a slope. It's like the ignition has just died. More throttle and it 'kicks' in but splutters badly and just won't pull at all.

Constant throttle, 30, 40, it's spluttering and backfiring what sounds like every stroke, kangarooing and kicking.

It's like it's full of s**t fuel or something. I've refuelled with no effect. It must be getting fuel as it's backfiring. It feels like loss of ignition.

Could it be the lambda? I wouldn't have thought it would be this violent a reaction?

Could it be the halls sensor? I thought that would either work, or it would die?

Could it be a coil - I've done 140k on my R1100S without anything like this and was wondering what to check next. Maybe an HT lead.

I'm going to change the plugs and see but I doubt that's it. I'm hoping it's not a mototronic gone nuts or summit. I HATE things like this:mad:

I've just reassembled the bike after changing the gearbox, but as I say, it did do this 'a little' for one day about a month ago - maybe I've disturbed something.

I got to work this am and thought I'd see if a fuel line was crimped, so I took the side panel off, gently pulled a fuel line and SNAP, one of the quick release clips broke clean off - 30 litres - hot engine - clouds of atomised fuel and me with my finger over the hole till I could get someone to get me some blue tack to bung it up with till I could get the tank off. Down to Bahnstormer at lunch for a new one then quick car-park fix and home.

Bugger - any help/advice/piss taking welcomed

Jason

If its a twin spark its probably one of the coils breaking down. They fit directly on the spark plug and are prone to corroding. £54 new I think. You will need to rebalance the throttles when the new ones fitted.

Either that or it's fecked :aidan

Could be a faulty TPS unit -

But could also be a lot of other things.

If its a twin spark its probably one of the coils breaking down. They fit directly on the spark plug and are prone to corroding. £54 new I think. You will need to rebalance the throttles when the new ones fitted.

Either that or it's fecked :aidan

It's not a twin spark - it's a 2002 single spark. It went down to Timbuktu in Jan with no problems but it might have got s**t in the filter maybe. Monday the bike was SHITE, Tuesday it began to settle down a bit, then today, especially after removing the tank and leaving it upside down in the car park for a few hours before refitting, it was SHITER THAN SHITE. Maybe I've been mixing the muck in the filter by swiling the fuel around (he says hopefully...)

I'll change the fuel filter and the plugs at the weekend and then see what else I can think of...

I don't think it's the TPS cos I can slowly rev the bike to max revs statically, and balancing the throttles was no bother. The throttle always blips fine regardless of whether it's in the middle of a coughing fit. It just seems to have no power above 30-40 even when it's actually running smooth. I think it's both cylinders simultaneously cos I've had to ride on one cylinder before and it doesn't feel like that either. It just HATES being under load.

I don't like things that 'sort of work' - I'd rather they fail completely:mad:

Question - can I disconnect the lambda temporarily without a problem? Or will it go to an emergency map or something?

Jason

It's not a twin spark - it's a 2002 single spark. It went down to Timbuktu in Jan with no problems but it might have got s**t in the filter maybe. Monday the bike was SHITE, Tuesday it began to settle down a bit, then today, especially after removing the tank and leaving it upside down in the car park for a few hours before refitting, it was SHITER THAN SHITE. Maybe I've been mixing the muck in the filter by swiling the fuel around (he says hopefully...)

I'll change the fuel filter and the plugs at the weekend and then see what else I can think of...

I don't think it's the TPS cos I can slowly rev the bike to max revs statically, and balancing the throttles was no bother. The throttle always blips fine regardless of whether it's in the middle of a coughing fit. It just seems to have no power above 30-40 even when it's actually running smooth. I think it's both cylinders simultaneously cos I've had to ride on one cylinder before and it doesn't feel like that either. It just HATES being under load.

I don't like things that 'sort of work' - I'd rather they fail completely:mad:

Question - can I disconnect the lambda temporarily without a problem? Or will it go to an emergency map or something?

Jason

move it to outside the tank, just did it on mine, easy and even easier to change it next time :thumb

Hall Sensor :nenau :nenau

I was wondering about that - but the fact that it revs fine when not under load makes me wonder if it could be :nenau

It is certainly a LOT worse when it's hot. From cold it is a lot better than when it's been running for a little while. I've got an old R1100S in the garage too and I'm going to check if they share the TPS and Lambda with the GS - I know they share the Halls sensor (I've got a spare one of those) - then I might play swapsies to see if I can isolate the problem

Jason

lack of power

have you checked that the fuel tank breather is not blocked this would allow it to rev with no load but plays up under load ( more fuel demand reved on no load requires minimum fuel). Saying the obvious but it's worth a try.
dave gs.

have you checked that the fuel tank breather is not blocked this would allow it to rev with no load but plays up under load ( more fuel demand reved on no load requires minimum fuel). Saying the obvious but it's worth a try.
dave gs.

Cheers Dave - I'll check that out at the W/E. I'll blow through both the breathers when I have the tank off to re-check everything else.

Jason

plugs or coils.

clue is its ok when NOT uner load :thumb

PS - what have you done to it lately ? cleaned it ? valve settings ?

plugs or coils.

clue is its ok when NOT uner load :thumb

PS - what have you done to it lately ? cleaned it ? valve settings ?

Lately..I have replaced the gearbox with all the disruption that entails. The problem did occur momentarily a few weeks ago before I took the bike appart but it is now a LOT LOT worse, and constant.

I did mess up putting the frame back on and didn't have the throttle cables routed correctly so I disconnected them and put them back correctly, balanced the throttles and reset the TPS.

The more I think about it the more I convince myself it is either the lambda sensor, OR the mass flow sensor if there is one? What is that one on top of the airbox? If that an airflow sensor?

I took the bike to Timbuktu and back in Jan and this is the first time I've had it appart since then. There was a lot of sand in the airbox and filter (no S**T!) so it could be related to that.

The usually bike does lots of miles so any water related woes would have hopefully dried themselves out - I just dunno:confused:

Jason

Stop all the stabbing in the dark and work your way through everything methodically.

You've re-set the throttle bodies, so it shouldn't be something as simple as one of the throttle cables seating incorrectly at the injector end?

Common occurence when you take the tank off, re-route throttle cables etc.

This would usually manifest itself when the engine's not under load, too, but hey, it's very easily done and dead easy to check.

PG

I spent ages trying to trace a bad running fault. Best advice I can give is to get a plug in diagnosis done - should tell you whats wrong (mine was a faulty lambda probe).

Good luck...........

The more I think about it the more I convince myself it is either the lambda sensor, OR the mass flow sensor if there is one? What is that one on top of the airbox? If that an airflow sensor?

I took the bike to Timbuktu and back in Jan and this is the first time I've had it appart since then. There was a lot of sand in the airbox and filter (no S**T!) so it could be related to that.
Jason

The sensor in the airbox is the air temperature sensor.
Hopefully the sand wont have got through to the engine.That would definetly not be good.
Have you had the plugs out and checked the colour of them.?
Whats the voltage at the TPS.Should be about 0.37Volts.
Tank venting-ride it with fuel cap open.(Try not to get unleaded on yer wedding tackle.)

The sensor in the airbox is the air temperature sensor.
Hopefully the sand wont have got through to the engine.That would definetly not be good.
Have you had the plugs out and checked the colour of them.?
Whats the voltage at the TPS.Should be about 0.37Volts.
Tank venting-ride it with fuel cap open.(Try not to get unleaded on yer wedding tackle.)

Okey doke - I'll try that on the way home tonight now that there is a few fewer litres in the tank.

Changed the plugs last night - they were a good colour but obviously a bit worn. I'll try the HT leads tomorrow, then the coils, then the TPS, then I start running out of swappable spares. I'll phone Bahnstormer and see if I can get a plug in check too.

Jason

stuttering is usually electrical - directly ignition related.

poor running and starting is fuel problems.

stuttering is usually electrical - directly ignition related.

poor running and starting is fuel problems.

I suspect it is ignition related - starts fine, runs at very low speed fine, idles fine. It's also not bad from cold but a beeeatch under any load when warmed up - and even not under load today - just constant throttle on the flat or down hill. Still always blips on the throttle fine though:confused:

Back
Top Bottom