HID heat and headlamp aim

haydw

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just spent the last couple of hours installing HID's on my 1150- cant believe the difference.

Bit of a sod fitting the ballasts though- my grand masterplan was to put them where the ABS unit should be (mine's non ABS) only to find the cables were not long enough. Finally put somewhere to put them- thank goodness for Terranova lightbars and zip ties. Everything else was a piece of cake.

Anyway, noticed that they chuck out a fair bit of heat- dont really know how much there was when the old bulbs were in there- I have no chance of melting anything have I???

Another thing- removed the headlight assembly and had to fasten up the headlamp height adjuster again- whats the easiest way of making sure the alignment is spot on and not aiming too high?

My HID's are 35w 6000k if that makes any difference. Got a set from an ebay seller for £75- kit looks really good quality as well. Not that I know what a duff kit looks like.....

Mine have been on the bike for 2 years and nothing important seems to have melted yet.

There is a section in the owner's handbook that tells you how to set up the headlight. I'm assuming that you have managed to get the little white plastic ball back into the socket on the light assembly?????

It might be just as easy to go out in the dark with a handy screwdriver and then to adjust the lamps to suit your ride and weight.

HID's actually give off less heat.

How far out is the aim. Check the bulb is seated (wiggle the wires!!!) and then as above. Don't forget that alot of adjustment can be done with the adjuster on the inside left of the fairing (as you are sat on the bike). I got all the adjustment here with no need for screwdrivers :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom