R80GS Prices

depends if you're buying or selling ?

Depends on condition - mileage - service history - equipment - useage - if you like the owner or not - which side of bed you got out of - if its raining or sunny .....

Phil

ROger it depends on the following

what it has had done to it, gas flowing, fork springs, rear shock, whether its is going to need a new exhaust soon, check the gearbox isn´t making funny noises and that the shaft isnt about to go bang (dry on this model - see posts by Cookie and Fritz).

whether its been run into the ground - if is been round the world or has belonged to wreford miles or almost anyone in the airhead section of this club

how much you want one - stand out from the crowd and most of the people on this board and own a real mans bike

It doesn´t sound expensive though they seem to sell for 2-2800 from what I have seen

Going on from what El Bob said,

Forget Glasses or any ohter guide price as they only apply when a dealer wants to screw you on part-ex.

But it does depend on many factors and you don't give us too many clues.

If its a fine example and you can see from evidence the bike has been looked after and whether the main failures have happened or are yet to befall it :eek: Then it could be worth the asking price though unless concourse I'd say its all its money.

If its been someone's 'project' or a roost for their chickens and holed up in a barn/shed for years and is nowt more than the basis of a resoration project then walk away if he won't let it go for half his asking.

I've been somwhat shocked to see some airheads, (ableit Paralevers) going recently for silly money and they've been very good examples too. Most recently a '95 R100GS-PD Classic with a few tasty extras up for £3250!!

Also what's your intended use? Noticing what else you have in the stable, is it to have something to 'play' at the dirt with without ditching the missus' 650?, taking in a bit of a RTW or just to have a bit of GS Nostalgia in the collection.

These things are a total culture shock but incredibly addictive, and with strain you emotionally and financially but they simply oooze character like no other GS can.

In the end if you find one you like you'll pay what's being asked in spite of all this. Happy hunting - good to hear we may have another real GS in the club. :thumb

I think I may leave this one alone I now have more detail, its a 1980/1 (on a W plate??) bike withe the spedo showing 6000 the last MOTs show 5000 and 6000 respectivly, he thinks its been around the clock as it does not look 6000 miles old, there is no history or owners book. It has an oil leak he says from the back of the gearbox so there is a pool of oil under it. He thinks it came from the IOM but with a W plate that seems odd unless it was a mainland bike that went to the IOM and has now come back.

Thanks for the advice I think I will wait to see if i can get one with history.

Cheers

Roger

Roger Walton said:
I think I may leave this one alone I now have more detail, its a 1980/1 (on a W plate??) bike withe the spedo showing 6000 the last MOTs show 5000 and 6000 respectivly, he thinks its been around the clock as it does not look 6000 miles old, there is no history or owners book. It has an oil leak he says from the back of the gearbox so there is a pool of oil under it. He thinks it came from the IOM but with a W plate that seems odd unless it was a mainland bike that went to the IOM and has now come back.

Thanks for the advice I think I will wait to see if i can get one with history.

Cheers

Roger
Not sure about speedos on the early ones but on the Paralevers they are notoriously unreliable and many do not have their original speedos, mine doesn't or my previous one. Tis more about the paperwork that comes with and I don't mean a nicely stamped service book either.

But oil from the back of the gearbox - don't just walk away - scarper!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Leave it alone

Unless you want to make it a project but than the price is probably too high. In my country something like what you describe is usualy what we call a "combina", ilegal matching of bike and papers.
Miky

Back
Top Bottom