1100gs Gearbox Id

z900guy

Ive got a 96 1100gs with the vin number 043678* which I beleive is the later gearbox model with the needle roller bearings , any way to check this please

Gear box

I think 1998 was change over year, look at "bobs bmw" site on the spares micro fish you can see enlarged dia grams of gear boxes might be some help.
dave gs.

Use www.realoem.com and put the vin number in. I put yours in and it came up as September 1995. The chances are yours is one of the earlier gearboxes with the taper roller bearings - have a look for a marking 94L, or maybe 94M, on the gearbox. If its done more than 20-30k then theres a good chance its already been modded.

all starts to become clear , thanks , what is the reference number on the later box please and has anyone ever run a thread saying what percentage of these boxes have problems. Mine sems pefect by the way

my mates 94/1100 has 72k miles and is fine.
my 1999/1100 now has 29k and is fine.
just ride and enjoy even new bikes can ferk up :thumb

all starts to become clear , thanks , what is the reference number on the later box please and has anyone ever run a thread saying what percentage of these boxes have problems. Mine sems pefect by the way

Doh! thats done it :blast

In theory the taper rollers should be really strong, in practice if the taper bearings were shimed a little too tight (too much preload) the oil gets expelled causing flaking of the bearing surface and rapid wear.

Steptoes the man to ask. He knows all the comon problems.

Back
Top Bottom