Panic Help needed ZUMO

michaelh

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
When on a run today and when attempting to put in a new address as a destination the unit switched off. It repeated this when removed from the bike mount and powered by the internal battery. Later as I was checking the various settings the unit "locked"not even the on/off switch responds. It is now locked and presumably will run the battery down.

The problem is that I head to Europe in about 10 days so returning the unit is probably not an option.

Anyone experienced similair and have a solution?:confused:

Thanks Michael

You could try disconnecting the battery to see if a hard reset will kick it back into life. Its just one tiny screw on the centre back of the unit.

But do ring Garmin tech support first thing tomorrow as they do have a phenomanally good reputation for sorting people out in need. Tip: ring the minute their support lines open or you could have a long wait...

Mike

My mates did the same - I pressed the off button and the plus button together and it reset.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Zumo

Thanks all,
Phil did as you suggested, it worked at least now I can turn it off and on.
Tomorrow am I will speak to the helpline.

Cheers
Michael:thumb

Zumo update.

Spoke to the support desk at Garmin. The suggested fix is to update the software. Garmin have emailed with the link to download an update which I will do this evening.

Thanks for your assistance

Phil you old technical wizard. GS CanBus problems sorted on the side of the road in John O' Groats, Garmin technical issues sorted at the press of a button. What next, breath new life into dead batteries?

Do your talents know no bounds :bow although I do detect a certain ham-fistedness in all of this :D

Michael,
Glad that sorted it out:thumb2

Warlock - is that really you? Or is it the CurtainThief back to nag me via the forum?:reaper

zumo died

One week old Zumo, bought new.

Used in car last weekend for 2 hours..

Spent this morning fitting power cable and cable to my bike.

Zumo would not start so spent time checking my power cable fitting, fuse etc.

Ended up back at the Zumo which would not start ANYWHERE.

Nothing. Dead as dodo. Tried + and Power buttons together, to no avail.

Frustrating as it is Saturday and my first outing planned on the bike with Zumo. Helpline closed.

Not a happy customer after spending £460!http://www.ukgser.com/forums/images/smilies/angryfire.gif
:spitfire

Guys and Girls:

About these "frozen Zumo" issues - I have seen this reported in a number of different posts here, but I have never ever had this problem myself, despite riding about 8,000 miles now with a Zumo, using all sorts of different software.

One thing that Zumo users need to be aware of is that the Zumo reacts very differently than all the previous Garmin GPSRs when it is connected to a computer using a USB cable. Since the invention of the first Garmin GPSR (that had a USB connection) about 7 years ago, you could just plug the GPSR into the computer and unplug it at will. The GPSR didn't take much note of the computer, it only interacted with the MapSource application, and nothing else.

Since the advent of the Zumo and other Garmin GPSRs that share the same user interface as the Zumo (C series, for example), the relationship between the computer and the GPSR has changed dramatically. Now, when you plug the GPSR into the computer, it behaves exactly like any other USB mass storage device. In other words, the computer mounts it as a single disc drive - or two drives, if you have a SD flash memory card in your GPSR - and the computer takes over total control - and I mean TOTAL control - of the GPSR.

I'm not entirely familiar with the technical reasons for this change in behaviour, but I do know that users now have an obligation to 'properly' dismount the GPSR from the computer before yanking the USB cord out of either the side of the computer or the side of the GPSR. To properly dismount a USB device, you go to the 'Safely remove hardware' function of your Windows operating system, and select the option to remove the GPSR. This action is known as 'dismounting' the device.

I encountered quite a few lockups of my Zumo 'at my desk' the first week I had it, because I was treating it like every other GPSR I had owned for the past 5 years (SP III, 26xx, 72xx, Nav I, II, and III, etc.) and just yanking the USB cord out of the device when I was finished with it. The GPSR doesn't like this at all, and I am going to guess (emphasis: guess) that this might be causing some corruption within the device that is then causing the power on / power off problems down the line.

The reason behind this guess is pretty simple: Since I started properly dismounting the device, using the "Safely Remove Hardware" function of Windows, I have never experienced any flaky behaviour or lockups from my Zumo.

Hope this info will help the rest of you. I'm not suggesting it is the solution to every problem everyone has ever reported, but I do think it might be the cause of some of the lockup problems that have been reported.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom