Mapsource problem... or not?

Bryn

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Just got me 2650 courtesy of the heads up from Ram Man :thumb2

Loaded it up, and unlocked using the 25 digit code etc etc...dropped a few maps onto the GPS for a trial run, and I got a message that some of the mapsets are locked:confused:

one being Birmingham.. then the unit message said "do you wish to use unlock code ? so I stuck the same 25 digit code in.. didn't seem to work, and the last message on the unit said something like "maps locked"

just registered for V9 as this is V7.. was going to leave it until I get V9.. but any advice appreciated

Numpty with GPS :augie

I once had this problem on a Street Pilot III, I resolved it by highlighting all the maps in Mapsource BEFORE entering the unlock code there.

But it should have unlocked them from the disc:confused:

I have just very succesfully unlocked my new 2650 BTW:p :D

You don't make it clear that the unlock code you used was for this specific GPS.... If it was a V7 unlock code for another GPS then it will not work...

If V7 came with this new GPS then I'm not sure what your problem might be... sounds like a call to Garmin then...

Al...

The unlock code was in the box with the new 2650, so it would only work with the v7 that came with it... seemed a bit odd when just a few of the maps stayed locked.....

Come to think of it.. This happened during the installation ... never seen it before....

just plugged the unit into the laptop again... and up came the message again... got to be connected...

And I've got plenty of hard disc space left...

Think tomorrow I'd better uninstall the lot and start again...

Attachments

• R0010066.jpg
    R0010066.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 148
The unlock code was in the box with the new 2650, so it would only work with the v7 that came with it... seemed a bit odd when just a few of the maps stayed locked.....

Come to think of it.. This happened during the installation ... never seen it before....

just plugged the unit into the laptop again... and up came the message again... got to be connected...

And I've got plenty of hard disc space left...

Think tomorrow I'd better uninstall the lot and start again...

Congratulations....your very first BSOD!!!! (Blue Screen Of Death)
(basically a serious windows OS crash)

Bryn, if you had a bsod, it could well mean that mapsource or the drivers or something isn't installed properly....try uninstalling again and re-boot, then install again.

I don't understand how it might have affected just some maps, but it's what I'd try first :)

Bryn, if you have no luck by Saturday I could pop over in the morning and give you a hand with it :thumb2

Bryn, if you had a bsod, it could well mean that mapsource or the drivers or something isn't installed properly....try uninstalling again and re-boot, then install again.

I don't understand how it might have affected just some maps, but it's what I'd try first :)

Thanks Bill.. I'm about to give it a go...

Bryn, if you have no luck by Saturday I could pop over in the morning and give you a hand with it :thumb2

Cheers for that Kev :thumb2 I'll see what happens when I uninstall and start again...

Video instructions for plebs.. right up my street :D

Mine is up and running on v7. I tried it out in the car on the way to work this morning and it seems grand. A great bargain. Thanks again RAM-man. :bow :clap :clap

I have registered the unit with Garmin for the upgrade to v9, but as I already have a disc all I need is an unlock code I think, so I have sent them an e-mail last night. Hopefully I will have the u/l codes today? :nenau

Well, uninstalled and re-installed the discs..didn't get a blue screen message this time.. but still getting the message

"The following maps have not been unlocked for your GPS"

"Gent, Belgie"
"Amiens, France"
"Bristol, England"
"Birmingham, England"
"London, England"

It then asks if I want to transfer them anyway.. so I say yes...

Maps are transferred to unit.. and a message comes up on the GPS stating some maps are locked, and would I like to enter an unlock code...

So I click yes, and enter the same code as I got with the disc.. still saying the same...

then it says "loaded maps locked"

So I reckon its an email to Garmin :confused:

Latest

Rang up Garmin (which is painless as its a free phone number)

Spoke to a very nice lady called Siobhan:)

Extremely helpful and patient.. she said it was most unusual for the problems I had to happen.... and after going through all the unlock codes etc, she hit on the idea of downloading the lates mapsource update from the site..

Did this, and (touch wood) seems to have cured it.. no more messages telling me certain maps are still locked. as it happens, just got the 2 gig card through the post from 7 day shop.com (thanks BTBR ;) )

so I'm 50 percent through a trial run of loading all of europe onto the unit.. up to now.....no problems...

Bryn :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom