Spluttering

phil adams

Reaction score
2001 1150GS. Riding along about 60mph, I get a spluttering, it feels like it's going to cut out. Turn the throttle a little and bike runs normally until the it wont go any faster at that throttle opening then the problem starts again. This happens right through the rev range. Tried new plugs, didn't cure it. So, any sugsestions guys. Thanks in advace.

First time i've suggested this - Plug lead.

Seems to be getting more common as the bikes age.

Side stand cut out switch.
Its probably the same fault I had on my HP2. It feels like a duff plug but in my case it was not.
If the lead is similar with the wiring then there is a fix on the HP2 section.

I did the mod on mine and hey presto! Cured!

Cheers guys. Have done throttle bods, made no difference. Ocean suggested the coil. I can see this getting expensive now, replacing bits till I find the cure.

Have Ocean plugged the bike into their diagnostics?
Sounds like a sensor malfunction. I had similar on my 1150. Turned out to be the lambda probe.
Good luck..........

Yes ocean did do a diagnostic and the lambda reading was different to what it should be, they put the reading down to the power commander. Coil and leads also tested and found OK.

Yes ocean did do a diagnostic and the lambda reading was different to what it should be, they put the reading down to the power commander. Coil and leads also tested and found OK.

Phil
the lmbda gives a voltage output in relation the the amount of oxygen it finds in the exhaust, if you have had it checked and its away from spec not sure having a power comander would change that signal ?
may have nothing to with it but take a look at this link on lambda sensors its very interesting , especially how they slow down with age

http://www.picotech.com/auto/lambda_sensor.html
:beer:

You can disconnect the lambdaprobe and the bike will still run ok - it'll revert to a base setting.

My 1200 was spluttering and it was the coil. Once replaced it went away, but having said that I assume spluttering can be caused by more than one thing.

Many thanks for all replies. Will be having lambda checked on Tues. Will post when we finally find out what the problem is.

Problem solved!!!!!

Yippee, problem with the spluttering sorted. It was the lambda probe. Purchesed a used one from Sherlocks for £23 as opposed to a new one for £122 from elsewhere.. Seems to running fine now.

Phil
good to hear that you have got it fixed
very good price on the lambda probe
at that price its worth changing anyway at 30 k miles as a service item
I am sure that will invite some comments
:eek:

Back
Top Bottom