ABS and Brake Light Mods

AZDrifterus

I seem to remember reading somewhere that increasing the resistance in the brake light circuit (adding extra lights)of my 2004 GS could cause problems with the ABS controller.
Anyone have any insight into this idea?

You're right - but if you add extra brake lights in the form of LED type then the current draw is so low the circuit doesn't pick up the difference
Sherpa;)

Mick,
I don't know about down-under,but the ABS standard, 2-plug 1150 GS, introed in July here, is sold as a 2004 model.
Is this the 2003 model in the rest of the civilized world?

The normal procedure for the factory is to call the 2004 year model from after the re-opening of the factory after the annual shutdown in August every year.

I do think that your local BMW dealer could be stretching things a bit.

Downunder we are still calling bikes 2003 whilst the new 2004 models will be arriving here as usual in October/November 2003 for the 2004 year

Mick.

Buzzzzzzzz Just a minute

Deviation I think !

Back to the original question.

I have a givi top box with built in lights. I have wired thes up in parallel to the rear stop light with no affect to the ABS.

Re: Buzzzzzzzz Just a minute

ktm520 said:
Deviation I think !

Back to the original question.

I have a givi top box with built in lights. I have wired thes up in parallel to the rear stop light with no affect to the ABS.

Ditto, but I don't know if the Givi lights are bulbs or leds.

AZDrifterus said:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that increasing the resistance in the brake light circuit (adding extra lights)of my 2004 GS could cause problems with the ABS controller.
Anyone have any insight into this idea?
If this is correct surely it would turn off the ABS if the brake light bulb blew ie disconnected circuit = infinate resistance. :confused:

KTM,

That's exactly why I asked the question.
I have a Givi top box and want to add the light kit.
Does your bike have the ABSII system?

I fitted the brake light kit to my Kappa topbox, it's the same as the Givi one, uses LEDs and hasn't affected my ABS.

GIVI

tHE GIVI LIGHTS ARE bulbs not LEDs

Not sure what version the ABS is, it's a Uk model 2001.

I have an LED rear light and Givi Top Box Brake Light Kit........

No problems with the ABS II SEPT. 2002 Bike .............

CC

:cool:

Attachments

• small rear lights 003.jpg
    small rear lights 003.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 173
I read this with interest coz I have just fitted my E52 Givi box c/w the two additional LED brake lights to my ABS kitted 2003 GS.

I wired them up exactly as I did on my Africa Twin, as in splicing the two wires that go to the rear brake switch.....guess what, that didnt work......??

I have found an old post that suggests that I need to wire Givi black to GS brown and Givi blue to GS grey/yellow.

How have you done yours and where did you make the joints?

Cheers,

Alan

Back
Top Bottom