Which roads in the Med and Mountains?

Betty Swollocks

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have loads of Scotland experience, doing 3 to 5 Highland trips a year for the past few years.This year is a wee bit different, because the brother-in-law and I, have got special permission to fly to Barcelona, hire a couple of 1200 GS's for nine days, and do 'The Med', before returning to the wives at the beach, near Barcelona, for the last few days of their holidays.
We are looking a few suggestions of 'must do' routes or passes in the Pyrenees, Dolomites and Alps.
We have booked a sat-nav with the bikes, so want to get the best out of our nine day roadtrip.
During our Scotland trips, 10 hours and 250-300 miles on minor roads is our norm.... but I think, this time, we will take it a bit easier. (Both hit the big 40 recently).
Any suggestions of 'must do's' would be greatly appreciated.

Heading off mid June.

OK, you've not been overwhelmed by replies! Many will either say RTFMap and join green Michelin roads, or HTF do I know what you want to do for 9 days!!

If it were me - firstly I'd be thrilled at the prospect, secondly I'd keep an eye on the forecast. Spain and South if cold, North and east if looking good.

A wide loop clockwise across to Picos, then back french Pyrenees and up to Haut Provence would be lovely.
Forget most of the Alps given the time.

Must do's

I'd ignore Andorra, go up N260 via Tremp, N142 to Baqueira, D618 from Bagneres.

Zig Zag all the way to Pamplona via the D918 etc.

Above would take 3 nice days.

Return French side
Lourdes is nowt special but I loved the D618 trough Castillon, Massat to Quillan. - a happy 2 day ride.

Then strike North East.

The roads around South carcassonne are designed for bikers,

Forget the South Coast and head for Florac way taking in the Gorges du Tarn, head towards Grenoble then down the Route Napoleon, Gorges du Verdon, D973 across to Arles, then blat down to meet wives.

Just my 6 pennorth!

Or you could go west to Picos, South to,,, North West to..........;)

Simon

Thanks for that Simon. Heading off this Thursday. I have jotted down your suggestions and will definately use some of them. As I said, we are going in blind, so if anybody else can suggest a 'must do' road, feel free to post it here.

The latest edition of BIKE magazine has some good recomendations in the South of France, Spain (inc one from Barcelona)

Wish I was there :(
Gazzr

Thanks Gazzr, I will pick up a copy of bike for reading on the plane.
Only a day and a half to go!

I would pack a light pair of waterproofs BS. The weather can change very quickly in the Pairofknees (much like Scotland) so they may come in handy. There are lots of great looking roads around Pamplona (I often admired them through the window of a truck) and in France you usually can't go wrong on D roads.

Enjoy your trip you jammy beggar. Lots of pics and a lengthy report expected. :thumb2

Cheers Aiden. I am doing the 2 piece goretex thing, trying to bring as little as possible. Have been discussing the weather with my bro-in-law and think I am gonna leave the winter linings at home, but bring the bmw under-leggins. If it gets cold I hope to get away with just putting a few more layers on the top half. Hope it is the right call.

You should be alright at that BS. It dries up a lot quicker there than Scotland or here. :)

Enjoy the gathereing of the Clans... and give my regards to his Highness. I have just got permission for my next Scotland trip... 20th of next month.

Back
Top Bottom