Worn clutch

Big Jets

Reaction score
My mates R1150R clutch is slipping.Its only done 23000 miles should he replace the full clutch assembly(not cheap)or could he possibly get off with a plate as he is skint and we are off to Ireland in 2 weeks .cheers

Only 23K miles.:eek:
Either your mate a bit brutal with the clutch or there may be oil getting on the plate.You can remove the starter motor and have a look into the clutch area.
I take it the bike doesn't have handguards.
Might be worth checking clutch fluid level as a wearing clutch pushes fluid back int the resevoir until its full.
Ideally you should replace the whole assembly (i paid £150ish for mine) but at 23K you may get away with just a friction plate.
You will probably also need a clutch slave cylinder gasket.
Good luck,Col.

Cheers Colban ,£150ish would not be a problem but he is getting quotes of four hundred i thought it was a bit steep where did you get it by the way he took his bird to france last year and she was a bit on the tubby side hence clutch problem also cant see any oil seepage>cheers

When you have the box out it is surely better to replace the lot, it will probably cost less in long run. Cheap doesn't always mean cheerful, imagine if it starts slipping again while you are in Ireland.

I once changed a clutch in a mates car and he insisted I only replace the worn friction plate, three weeks later it was slipping again because the pressure plate failed.

Do it right first time and save your self the worry of future hassle.

Hank :aidan :beer:

Replace the whole clutch unit, not just the friction plate.

It's slipping, so the surfaces of the pressure plate and cover plate will have been damaged and over heated. Just fitting the friction plate maybe ok for a thousand or so miles, then it'll slip again.

james Sherlock does clutch kits from £130 - £160 depending on model .

Just noticed your scottish. Staple a sheet of sandpaper to the old friction plate. That'll be nice and cheap.

Back
Top Bottom