V5 DOCUMENT COPY OR ORIGINAL

cowboy

can someone please set the record straight do i need to take the original with me abroad or will a photocopy do of my bikes registration cert?

Original or a good colour photocopy ;)

Never once been asked for it in 30 years of european travel even when there were border crossings to do :rob

Whilst on holiday i started to read 'ADVENTURE MOTORCYCLING HANDBOOK' by Chris Scott (5th Edition)

On page 17 he says carry the original and photocopies.

He also makes a good suggestion by saying 'losing' :augie the original and requesting a replacement.

The books seems a really good read, its just a pity the text is so small, i forgot to take my 'bins' on holiday with me so i only read a small amount, but i will continue to read it when i can.

i think you should take the original. when i remember to take anything, i take a print of a colour scan.

never been asked for it in 30 odd years of taking the bike abroad.

v5

I took the original only.
Last week went through Norway, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany, Holland, Belgium and France.

Passport and V5 checked in Sweden going out, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Poland into Germany, some border staffed by beautful 26 year old, blond female border guards - it was a pleaseure.:thumb2

Last week went through Norway, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany, Holland, Belgium and France.

Passport and V5 checked in Sweden going out, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Poland into Germany, some border staffed by beautful 26 year old, blond female border guards - it was a pleaseure.:thumb2

:postpics

We did that route the year before last, I remember those girls well :D

I always take originals with me and a photocopy of each document is carried on a mates bike and visa versa.

:thumb2

Pictures

I think RUSHY has those.
Only if he dared get his big lense out.;)

In France, my mate was caught speeding in the rain on his way to look for a lost toy monkey (his name was Monkey). Toy monkey was found but he came back without the V5 as when they nicked him they confiscated it until he could return to the station next morning with the fine.

Needless to say i hope the new owner never travels to France :augie

....Take originals, plus copies......plus leave seperate copies at home.....

...Then scan and upload copies to on line storage, like BT digital vault. You can then print copies off from any computer/printer, anywhere.......:thumb2

...Belt N Braces or what ???!!!......:D

If contacted DVLA and said that I had 'lost' my original V5 would I get a free replacement?

Basic rule of thumb is that you ‘need ‘ the original, as is the case for any official / legal document. That being said, unless you have committed some horrendous offence it’s not worth police time and effort to pursue a technical breach.

Been asked to produce several times in France, usually at spot checks on the payage around Marseille. I suspect it’s because the port is used as an easy access to Africa for stolen bikes and / or it’s on the southern route into Italy. They seem happy enough with a decent copy.

I doubt whether most of the French police force's English is good enough to know what they are actually looking at whilst the traffic thunders past. How many English bobbies in traffic cars could understand a French ‘Carte gris’?

By accident I showed a French policeman the renewal notice for my bike insurance, along with the covering letter from Devitt. He didn’t bat an eyelid.

Back
Top Bottom