What have I done, only washed it?

shready

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've spent hours today cleaning my 1150 RT (ABS/SERVO), fairing off, good old spray of Muc-Off, good scrub, hose down and spray of WD-40 before putting it all back together.

The bugger would not start:blast

It did eventually start after loads of attempts and I let it warm up and then checked the brakes, all OK.

But now when I put the ignition on every now and again the fuel pump primes then primes again, then again, then the rev counter jumps a bit, all without trying to actually start it:( All sorts of noises coming from under the fairing.

It was running fine last week so something has happened with me cleaning it, do you reckon I should put it down to excess water and let it dry out or have I fecked something?

Update: Just tried it again, fuel pump primes and the starter turns but the engine won't start now:( Battery is OK by the way.

Left it overnight and this morning turned on the ignition and the fuel pump primed then primed again, lot's of clicking and then the rev counter jumped about a bit. All of the warning lights were doing their stuff as expected. I didn't try to start it but put it on the side stand in an attempt to drain any water away from the electrics.

I just hope it's nothing nasty, fingers crossed.

Tell the missus its fekked, apologise and then go out and buy a new one:thumb

Sorted:nenau

Shep

It sounds very similar to a problem I had with my R1100RS. Washed it thoroughly to get rid of a load of French flies squashed into the oil cooler etc. Never started again -two days drying everything out with a hair dryer - zilch!

Eventually it turned out to be the Hall Sensors in the front of the engine.

Why washing it should have provoked the problem I will never know. Let's hope in your case it turns out to be something simple, and cheap.

Regards to all,

Phil Thomas

It sounds very similar to a problem I had with my R1100RS. Washed it thoroughly to get rid of a load of French flies squashed into the oil cooler etc. Never started again -two days drying everything out with a hair dryer - zilch!

Eventually it turned out to be the Hall Sensors in the front of the engine.

Why washing it should have provoked the problem I will never know. Let's hope in your case it turns out to be something simple, and cheap.

Regards to all,

Phil Thomas

Mine did start and I ran it for 10 minutes or so.

I'll keep checking it and over the weekend get it out in the warm (hopefully) to get it really dry.

Failing that I'll have to get it to a garage somehow.

Bike cleaning.

So, let this tail of woe be a lesson to you all!.

Moral

.......and the moral here of course is don't wash a GS!!! Just ride the fecker! :thumb

Sorry for a numpty question, but what are the Hall sensors (what do they look like and what do they do?). As a fellow 1150RT owner I'd like to avoid this happening to me.

BTW, my last 'full' wash managed to bugger the horns. They just didn't work, whereas they did before the wash. Don't ask how, I have no idea, but my dealer replaced them for me.

I'd just double check the throttle cables are seated correctly, just to give you peace of mind. I mean, be foolish not to.

Strange coincidence if it is the hall sensor, failing when you washed the bike.

I had exactly the same symptoms when I power washed my 1150GS :blast and I thought the Hall sensor had gone. I was tracing the wiring to remove the sensor and when I split the connector there was a couple of tiny drops of water inside it I dried it out and gave it a spray of WD and it has been fine since then. Still can't understand how the water managed to get all the way up under the tank and into that connector though

I washed my GS on Friday and it all runs fine. However, I noticed some corrosion on the front of the engine casing, and now it's going to Williams to have it's first 6000mile service and a new cover, one month before the warranty expires :augie

I'd just double check the throttle cables are seated correctly, just to give you peace of mind. I mean, be foolish not to.

Strange coincidence if it is the hall sensor, failing when you washed the bike.

:hogroast

Whey hey.

Tried it tonight and it started.

I quickly got on it and gave it a run, all OK, spluttered once but seems to be back to normal, thank goodness.

So was it water in the sensor connector:nenau

I haven't a clue, but I guess it was water somewhere.

I'll try it again over the next few days to make sure it's OK before I go any distance.

Back
Top Bottom