Route Grand Alps in two days ??

Popeye

Reaction score

My wife flys into Geneve 4:00pm Wednesday (early July) and we have to be on the 6:00am boat to Corsica on Saturday which leaves two full days on the bike.

In an ideal world I'd like to make this a three or four day route and really take in the scenary but we'll be coming back via the Dolomites with plenty of time in hand so "rushing" this route may not be a total waste.

Question is though, do I do the RGA in two days or just blast it on the motorway ??

I guess the Corsican ferry is from Nice.

I would say you can do it and have enough time to enjoy.

As an example, last year we did Briancon to Morzine via the RGA, we were camping at Briancon so probably didn't leave before 10am and we arrived in Morzine around 4pm - so that's 220 miles or so averaging say 40-50mph. The weather was good and we are not knee sliding nutters.
The RGA links a number of lovely passes with RN's and autoroutes along the valley floors, so you can make up time before the next ascent.

Sounds like you have one early start though!

If you've not been to Corsica you have a treat install - the most fabulous island. The coast road south from Calvi (best done South to North, that way you are mountain side) and some of the interior roads will test the bravest of men - no problem if everyone were on GSA's, but you will meet Italians in Camper vans every now and again.

cheers

Simon

and just remembered.

we descended one of the passes at around 55mph - I know this because I looked down at my speedo as I was overtaken .............................................by a push cyclist:eek:

My wife flys into Geneve 4:00pm Wednesday (early July) and we have to be on the 6:00am boat to Corsica on Saturday which leaves two full days on the bike.

In an ideal world I'd like to make this a three or four day route and really take in the scenary but we'll be coming back via the Dolomites with plenty of time in hand so "rushing" this route may not be a total waste.

Question is though, do I do the RGA in two days or just blast it on the motorway ??

Geneva to Nice in one day, not hard on the RGA. You'll do it.

ok.....so it's doable.

Next question, either of you guys able to recommend some accomodation mid route for the overnight stop, something pretty basic would be ok.

ok.....so it's doable.

Next question, either of you guys able to recommend some accomodation mid route for the overnight stop, something pretty basic would be ok.

As modest and unassuming a place as one could wish for:

050903_033_passo_sella_-_baita.jpg

Would you like the GPS coordinates?

If this doesn't suite, go to Logis de France / via Michelin websites and punch in Briancon, assuming you want to stop in Briancon? Try the DE LA CHAUSSEE (pretty good, I have stayed there several times, not expensive, half decent meal)

It's a reasonably long road. Nobody knows where you might want to stop.

Thanks Wapping, I liked that shed. Oddly enough it's not too different from what we are renting up in the mountains on Corsica, although their's has a veranda - but it's still a shed !!

I'll check out the hotel links aswell. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom