first proper euro trip - questions!

Sergeant Pluck

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
ok so the insurance paid up - i've got a new bike and i'm nearly ready to go on my first proper 2-week solo trek across europe. i'm planning to shoot through france, spend a bit of time in the riviera/n. italy, then get a ferry across to greece and if i feel daring enough - dash across to istanbul. i plan to camp every night if poss. i've got loads of valuable advice from surfing the site but a couple of questions remain:

which are the best maps to get? (don't say GPS!) the michelin range look ok, no?

also, i've just been in to the book shop intending to get some of those rough guide books - but at 15 squids a go thats going to get expensive! do i need them or should i just wing it and pick info from maps/tourist info centres?

i'm slightly concerned about security as i'm on me tod, so i'll be taking 2 substantial lock'n'chains. but somewhere on this forum i read that it's a really good idea to take a bike cover. mines one of those breathable jobbies that packs down to the size of a small house - is it really worth taking?

and any other tips on the practicality side of things you can share?

pr0ne

Hi Prono,
Michelin maps are great with good detail, I got one for each country the last time I went around europe, as for the guide books goto a charity shop and you'll pick them up cheap, I've got nearly all mine for south america and saved a fortune, I'll keep my eyes peeled for one for you, I usually only pay £1.50. Bring the bike cover it really does make the bike invisible.
hope this helps
regards
jose

Whew, all the way to Istanbul and back in two weeks...
I don't think you'll have much time to read guide books and visit whatever is in them!
Or weren't you planning on riding back?

the michelin range look ok, no?
No - Michelin are the best. Follow the roads that have a green line running along side them. They're the scenic routes.

or should i just wing it and pick info from maps/tourist info centres?
Plus internet research before you go should be enough. Don't forget your local library.
i'm slightly concerned about security as i'm on me tod, so i'll be taking 2 substantial lock'n'chains. but somewhere on this forum i read that it's a really good idea to take a bike cover. mines one of those breathable jobbies that packs down to the size of a small house - is it really worth taking?
Not all foreigners are thiefs, so don't worry about it too much. I dare say the chances of your bike being nicked are the same as in this country.
Trust your instincts as to the threat level. Personally, in rural locations I probably won't bother with any sort of lock at all. In downtown Istanbul though I'd deploy the two locks. If you use your cover for security in this country then take and use it abroad.

and any other tips on the practicality side of things you can share?
Take out mechanical and personal insurance cover.

Lonley Planet guides are 10 quid... and will give you the chance to read up in advance.

I find it really makes a difference checking your maps and guide book together planing the next days route... and feeling great when the next days riding flows, maxsimise good roads and takes you to places worth seeing.

3 books 30 quid well spent I'd say.

Michelin maps are great.

I never that concerened about the bike, if in doubt park in a very public place. I did find at Le mans a long cable was good for threading from the bike and inside the tent and through the sleeves and legs of bike gear etc.

Have agreat trip... have you thought about Sardinia. The mark Warner all inclusive hitel in Capo Testa will take people who call in on quite a good day rate if you fancy a bed, bath, food water sports and company... it's a singles one out of school hloidays!

Michellins are very good especially the 200,000 scale. If you find yourself in Germany then check out the Falk maps, I`ve found them pretty good but no so great on Scandanavia....having said that I dont think I`ve found any map of Scandanavia that I`ve gotten a fatty over.

If its such a whistle stop tour, why not go for one of the 'europe' guides as opposed to a specific country (or three) It'll give you the feel for each country without going into too much dept.
You could spend 12 months in France alone and only scrape the surface.
Don't bite off more than you can chew. As migsel says PHEW its alot to pack in in a fortnight and you will see loads of great countryside but wouldn't have a lot of time to stop and sightsee so no need for loads of guide books.....this time. You will become hooked.
Have a great trip.

I have to say I reckon you're mad. :D

I've just got back from 2 weeks in France and Spain where I ended up riding 6 full days and that my friend is too much in my opinion. You really don't want to be on the bike everyday having to get somewhere.

You say you're camping? Just unpacking/putting up/taking down/packing up all that stuff everyday is soon going to get you very pissed off and very tired.

Why you are you trying so hard?

Take it easy. Use the motorway to get somewhere towards the middle of France then use the D roads to get to Spain or Italy and stop off in interesting places for a couple of days a time. You'll only need maps and guide books for 2 countries as well.

Doing that many miles in 2 weeks is great for the "how many miles in day" banter but not exactly my idea of a holiday.

Sorry mate, just my 2 pennysworth.

Practicalities?

Take out breakdown and medical insurance (as has been said).

Try riding the bike out with all your luggage before you go.

Enjoy yourself and don't feel you have to break some kind of record. Ride safe.

Cheers

Dick

pr0ne

As you're in London, get yourself along to Stanfords in Long Acre - they have more maps than you can poke a stick at!

Browse and buy what's right for you.

Greg

I'm with Guitarman on the mileage. I spent 17 days getting from Santander to Roscoff last year under canvas. Just ride until you're fed up or you see somewhere you fancy staying, and then stay there until you fancy a change. Works for me; I can't see a lot of point in setting a rigid and stretching itinerary when you're supposed to be enjoying yourself.

Have a great trip whatever you decide.

Don't forget your E111!

Mick :thumb

thanks for all the tips people.

i'm now armed with a set of michelin maps, e111, travel insurance, a rough guide to mediteranean europe which is spot on, and a HUGE eagerness to get going!!

take your point on the huge mileage guys - but i'm still going for it. i don't have a set itinery, or even a set route, that way i won't be disappointed if i don't get as far as i'd like. but i still want to see if i can get to istanbul!! main reason being that i'd really like to do a RTW trip or something similar one day - which'll possibly involve going thru turkey - iran - pakistan etc. getting to instanbul and away from the relative 'safety' of europe for me will be like 'sticking my head over the parapet' to see whether or not i'm really up for a big trip. if you know what i mean!!

cheers,

pr0ne

PS Ellis got to instanbul and back a few months ago, in about a week i think?

Hey Prone,
I'm off to Istanbul 3 or 4th week in October. I'm aiming to do a round robin depending on weather condition either out through Italy back through Balkans if weather is bad on leaving, or if good the other way round. I've only got just over a week, if dates coincidebe happy to join up for part of the ride.

I agree that it is a long run, but I did Croatia together with wifey aboard a Honda Shadow cruiser a few years back in a week and we had a few days on the beach!!! so I don't forsee anf probs with the milage involved given the abilities of the GS.

My biggest concern is tyres. My first choice would be Conti TKC's but I know they won't last the distance, so I guess I'll have to forgo the off road capabilities for the milage of the Tourances.

Are you doing Princetown? if so we could meet up ther to exchange info etc.

hey dennis - i'm actually off on monday, and back on the 3rd of october. so our paths probably won't cross but i will be able to give you a run-down of the trip!!

i'm not too worried about the mileage either to be honest. i'm looking at going shortest route poss. across france, into switzerland, down into the italian dolomites and then a ferry from venice to igu-something-or-other in greece. from there its straight across to istanbul.

tyre-wise i'm on the original tourances, which'll probably just about do the trip and die when i get back!!

pr0ne

Prone, Lucky old you, I'm looking at 17th or 24 Oct to get away, from your last post i would guess your planning is a bit like mine - point the bike roughly in the right direction and let it go.

I'm hoping to head out through the Balkans stopping at Croatia en-route, then get a ferry back from Igoumenitsa to Brindisi and on up through Italy. I'm aiming to stay off the Motorways as much as possible, prefering to put in the extra hours in the saddle.

From Ellis' postings it appears that crossing from Greece to Turkey is not the problem it used to be, so as long as the Balkans stays peacefull all should be relatively easy going.

I shall look forward to hearing all about your trip when you get back.

Ride safe and enjoy:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom