Boundary 500

zdaveuk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Took part in Boundary 500 yesterday , a charity ride in aid of the Great north air Anbulance, which invilved riding from Simon Balles Garage in Stockton , and visiting various Morrisons stores(Berwick, Whitehavem,Barrow,Skipton and Scarborough) total mileage of 525miles in 15 hours. Weather was varried to say the least, low cloud mist and rain up to Berwick and on to Hawick , lovely sunshine From Whitehaven to Scarborough, and the a tropical downpour in Scarborough, followed by mist and fog on the final leg to Hurworth grange.
The event was marred by the tragic death of a rider and serious injury to another who were involved in a head on collision with a Merc between Scarourgh and north Allerton.
Start at Stockton

boundary500.jpg
Berwick
boundary5001.jpg
Breakfast at Jedburgh
boundary5002.jpg
Scarborough
boundary5003.jpg

zdaveuk.

Was that you with the ukgser decal on your beak?
If so, I was just leaving Simon Bailes at 6:30 as you were pulling in.

I rode it alone (as I preferred) and tried to keep moving all day.
Managed to complete in about 13 hours with a couple of interesting diversions around North Yorkshire.
Misty up to Berwick, very wet from Berwick over to Carlisle. With Hindsight I should have stuck to the A roads through the borders, the B roads were a touch water/mud logged!

Relived some of the roads I used to ride around Scarborough in my misspent youth, a bit of a difference on the Adv compared to the collection of XS and DT 250's I rode at that time!

Enjoyment of the event has been overshadowed by the news from Brian, very sad.

IMG_5056.jpg

Parked up at the start point.

IMG_5058.jpg

Adv's first trip over the Border, first of many from now.

IMG_5060.jpg

Break on the coast road from Barrow to Ulverston.

IMG_5063.jpg

Late lunch at Devil's Bridge.

IMG_5067.jpg

Results of the down poor outside Scarborough.

Decided not to do this this year, but my work mate had decided to give it a go again. Well done to all those taking time to do this, but terrible news about the downed riders, my thoughts go out to their families.

Any aches today???:thumb2

Sorry to hear about those terrible accidents.

Funnily enough even after 550miles on an ADV with standard seat no problems GS performed brilliantly apart from spitting flames which scared the sports bike riders who were a little too close lol:mcgun
must have a leak in exhaust sfter taking cat off and replacing it with Y piece

Aches - non today, slept like the proverbial log last night.

Yesterday was a different story - decided to opt for the low seat with sheepskin pad as I find the high seat to much of a "perch" after using the low seat for so long. I don't find either the low or high seat comfortable for long times.

As far as aches are concerned I ended the day with both a numb bum and a very painful right knee. Not sure what causes that, could be the immobility of the right knee compared with the left (constantly cog swapping) or it could be

The bike performed much better than me, wading through 2 foot deep fords and "puddles" without missing a beat. It's in dire need of a wash now with new tyres and an oil change following very soon.

I've really mixed feelings sitting here today, I really enjoyed the day - the excuse to ride the bike all day for a good reason means a lot, but I'm very shaken by the news of the accident. I hope Brian decides to continue with the event in the following years.

and the pain in my a#s# is caused by...........?????

You're probably not far from the truth though :rob every chance I get to do some exercise I opt to get out on the bike instead :rolleyes:

numb bum

No numb bum for me but did have a sore wrist from holding throttle open for long periods I found the standard gs seat ok for the long distances maybe the stops at every morrisons stores helped to easy the butt.

I've found the same problem with the throttle, a Throttle Rocker very useful for long motorway distances.