AUTOCOM bike to bike

bladerunner

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, especially Rich @ autocom.

2 questions please:

1 I have autocom 5 which has previously had PTT facilities, mate has autocom7. Is it possible, and at what sort of price, to have bike to bike comms?

2: above may be irellevant if previous threads are correct saying bike to bike has recently become illegal in Spain.

thanks for info

Simon

Hi Simon,

I will need to know the full names of the systems before I can provide you some part numbers and prices as we have never sold an Autocom5 or 7.

Bike to bike in Spain ive not heard of this before so im unsure on what the state of play is.

Rich

Ok I'll have a look at the boxes

Sorry what I meant was 5 pin (mine) and 7 pin (his). Mine is the older one and has had bike to bike with the previous owner.

His was "top of the range gov" when I bought it in 1998 (he bought my bike) but has never had bike to bike.

Simon

Hi Simon,

No problems, once I know the full names we can go from there, this is also let me know if the transceivers can be bike powered etc if you are wanting this.

Rich :beerjug:

GSRich

Do I detect that you know what you're talking about with Autocom?
Do you know anything about wiring-in PMR radios to the bike's 12v supply?
Any help much appreciated (it's hard getting info that isn't straight from autocom with their spin)
Cheer,
Ed

GSRich knows everything about autocom, he works for them.

Spin:confused:

I don't think that edteamsir was referring to GSrich.

Simon, irrespective of which Autocom units you have, if you want bike-to-bike you have to have two radios that will talk to each other.

Then you have to have two Autocom units that will each connect to the radios you've got. If you want help making these connections, look on the side of the Autocom units and tell Rich what the units are - then he'll be able to help.

AFAIK, 446 units are legal throughout Europe, but if you have doubts, how about a bit of self-help and doing some research? If you find an answer, let us all know.

Greg

GSrich

I was refering to GSRich (i'm not that cynical ;-)
Not sure how to pm GSRich directly.

A word of warning before things drive you mad:

Note that some PMR446 radios will not talk directly to each other on the same channel number. Myself (Kenwood Funkey radio) and a mate (Kenwood TK3101) couldn't communicate on the same channel until we read the users manuals and found that you need to set channels as per the users manual to talk to each other, for example:

TK3101 / FUNKEY
Ch 1 / Ch 1, Group Mode 10
Ch 6 / Ch 2, Group Mode 18
Ch 3 / Ch 3, Group Mode 13
Ch 5 / Ch 4, Group Mode 17
Ch 8 / Ch 5, Group Mode 7
Ch 12 / Ch 6, Group Mode 6
Ch 7 / Ch 7, Group Mode 19
Ch 10 / Ch 8, Group Mode 15

Do I detect that you know what you're talking about with Autocom?
Do you know anything about wiring-in PMR radios to the bike's 12v supply?
Any help much appreciated (it's hard getting info that isn't straight from autocom with their spin)
Cheer,
Ed

Well I hope I know what Im talking about as ive been with Autocom for 3.5 years now lol.

Radio wise not all radios can be bike powered to begin with and you also need a comms that is suitable to power the relevant transceivers. So from our current range our Super Pro AVi and Kenwood TK3201 will do the job with ease.

As for emailing me I prefer to people to email me directly at work to save a lot of time and it will also get you an answer quicker as Ive not always got the time to surf on the forums.

rich :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom