R1150GS Battery

Big Al

A word of warning as 1150`s are now coming to the battery replacement time. In their infinate german wisdom BMW have chosen to fit a "plinth" under the battery and fit a 30mm shorter battery. This means that the 1100GS size battery fouls on the underside of the tank and so does the Hawker Odysey from Motorworks.
This may seem petty, but at this time it seems that the "aftermarket" battery suppliers are not aware of this and will happily sell you a 1100 size one - believing that they are the same.
The supplier that I used (who rides an Adventure himself) spent some time looking through his catalogue and it appears that there is no alternative but to fit genuine BMW as no-one makes a shorter one.
It is possible to remove the plinth as it is screwed in with 3 x M6 bolts, but the nuts are underneath the steel pressing which carries the battery, the ECU and, I believe the ABS unit (mines non ABS so I`m not sure) This is a bit fiddly but can be done if you want to fit a Hawker as I have.
Hope this saves someone some inconvenience.
Cheers
Al

Replacement Battery

I had to replace the battery on my ABS 1150 about 18mths ago, just before I wrote it off (she didn't see me!). After a lot of off-road one of the battery posts fell off! I fitted a Varta battery with no problem. It's one of the few things that identifyable in the pic of the remains somewhere on the site.

I found that out when I was in France and the battery packed up

a right con if u ask me

The bike you have must have been built without ABS or heated grips & as such has not got the large battery & alternator, the only option would be to change the battery tray.

For this reason virtually every R1150GS in the UK has heated grips which includes the large battery & alternator

Back
Top Bottom