Fixed fuel sender unit

david306

Reaction score
Well actually..... it wasnt broken .....

I took off the tank with changing the fuel filter in mind. stripped it all down, spilling approx 5 litres of fuel all over my yard, me and the cat ( Mental note... Wait until tank is nearly empty next time )....So after a quick smoke break, i noticed upon close inspection of the fuel sender unit, that the little copper arm was not touching the potentiometer, i carefully used two screwdrivers to bend the arm down with a spring movement to touch the digits... I then plugged it back into the bike and hey presto, my fuel guage slowly rose to full.. Happy days !!!!!!!

Just thought i would share this happy moment with you all......

Damn i love this bike !!!!!!

Well done for having a go yourself.:thumb2

Extra well done for stopping to think,having a look and then sorting it.

Many could learn from this shining example.......:augie

you'd be proud of me then Tarka..

I'd had my tank off to be repainted and when I re-assembled it not only did the sender not work but it was intermittently pissing petrol all over the place.

Took the tank off - tested the sender, cleaned the contacts and put everything back together assuming the leaking was due to the o-ring being poorly seated.

Same problem, no fuel sender, and petrol leak seemed fine for two whole days then petrol started intermittently pissing out again.

*thinks* why is the leak intermittent?

*thinks* I KNOW the sender works, so something MUST be fouling the float arm (although I thought I'd been careful putting it back)

Tank off again

Close inspection of the braided fuel line coming out from the tank shows that the rubber was slightly cracked. Just enough to seal some of the time, but just enough to let petrol weep out the rest of the time. Easy fix, new fuel lines and clips all round.

When I put the internals back in - I lowered a piece of string down through the filler cap, looped it round the float arm and back up through the filler cap. Internals re-fitted. I then pulled on the string (before putting the tank back on) and sure enough the float arm resisted just a tiny bit before clearing whatever it was that was snagging it and then worked freely. *thinks* test it shows full and empty correctly (pull on string then release) - all OK

All working perfectly now :thumb

Back
Top Bottom