Fork bridge

Deleted account 231205001

Reaction score
I've just put a shiny new lower fork bridge back on my '99 1150GS. I slotted the FB down the sliders and didn't tighten the bolts at this stage. I then put the wheel back on and torqued the bolts etc on the wheel. I then torqued the bolts on the FB and put the forks back in andput the nuts back on the top of the fork tubes. I went for a short ride and the handlebars are a few mm out of line to the right.

The queston is, have I installed everything in the right order?

The haynes books says put the FB on and torque the bolts, THEN do the wheel. I thought by doing the wheel first, this would align the forks correctly and the FB could then be torqued. So why are the handle bars slightly out of alignment???. Cheers

on normal forks (none telelever) all you do is loosen the fb clamp bolts and twist the forks until handlebars are straight then retighten the fb clamp bolts

i could be right or i could be wrong:rob :beerjug: :thumb2

andy

Wheel is always tightened last. You've trapped stresses.

You assemble the forks, legs and wheels, everything finger tight. Then bounce the front suspension.

Tighten the fork legs and brace. Bounce again (this releases any trapped stresses)
Then you tighten the wheel spindle and clamps.

Doing it in the order you've done, could be fun when you remove the front wheel and find you can't put it back .

Back
Top Bottom