Proposed Fix for loose front disks on 1100, seems to work, comments ?

Daithi

Reaction score
After following Vern's advice on a previous thread the rattling of my front RHS disk stopped completely. Untill about two
weeks ago, and it's been getting progressively worse.

DISK1.jpg

I have the pic ABOVE to help explain what is wrong. Basically the hole(5) the bobbin(2) sits in is "worn" and is (due to freeplay)
wearing a shoulder in the aluminium boss the bolt threads into.

DISK.jpg

The pic above shows the bolt, bobbin and the wavy washer, what I did was to assemble these with the washer(3) inside the disk,
between the disk and boss(red circled part in pic below).

DISK2.jpg

This still allows the disk to float but protects the boss from being worn and completely stopped rattles. See pic below, I know I've
explained it badly, ant the sketch ain't great, but it does fix the problem very well. Just becareful the washer doesnt get pinched by the bobbin.

DISK3.jpg

I wondered after making this change, was this arrangment what BMW intended and was the brake incorrectly assembled.
Comments from the lads who know more about this kind of thing would be very much appreciated.:thumb2

I just got the bastard file out to mine worked a treat :thumb

I just got the bastard file out to mine worked a treat :thumb
Me too, but affter a short while it was back as bad as ever, The hardned steel
of the washer should (I think) protect the boss and still allow side float. :thumb2

Are the bolt holes in your disk oval like mine ?

Me too, but affter a short while it was back as bad as ever, The hardned steel
of the washer should (I think) protect the boss and still allow side float. :thumb2

Are the bolt holes in your disk oval like mine ?

Yes,the discs have done 54,000 miles now :eek:
Still plenty of life in them :D

washers

Looks like MBW beat you to it.
This is how the discs are mounted now, with a thrust washer either side of the disc.
The inner one protects the alloy mounting post on the wheel.

From the repair manual,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note

As of model year 2006, the brake discs are fitted with rubberised thrust washers as standard.
The rubberised thrust washers can be retrofitted to older motorcycles in order to minimise brake squeal.
The thrust washers originally installed have to be removed and the new, rubberised thrust washers installed in their place.Parts 4 and 5.

k2534057bzs4.jpg

Brilliant ! :blast
My only consolation is, how long did it take them to solve that one. :D

Thanks for that Kenny,:thumb2 I'll pop down to the local main dealer
tomorrow morning.

You don't have the part numbers for 1,4 and 5 do you ?

03 34112314888 wave washer
02 34112335745 roll pin
01 34112330619 fillister head screw (M 8X20)

04 34117697387 set of stop disks (D=8,5)
05 34117682434 set of stop disks (D=13,7)

03 34112314888 wave washer
02 34112335745 roll pin
01 34112330619 fillister head screw (M 8X20)

04 34117697387 set of stop disks (D=8,5)
05 34117682434 set of stop disks (D=13,7)

Thanks for goin to the trouble Kenny, owe ya a pint.:beerjug:

Missed this one...

Did you ever order the bits Daithi ?
My front rights rattling like a bastard again :(

Hi Lad,
No, I decided to file the "Alu' mounting posts" (as per Vern' instructions) and then I put the wavy washers inside the
disk to stop the disk from wearing them down again. Rattle is reduced and won't get any worse. :thumb2 :thumb2

Attachments

• DISK3.jpg
    DISK3.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 547
Hi Lad,
No, I decided to file the "Alu' mounting posts" (as per Vern' instructions) and then I put the wavy washers inside the
disk to stop the disk from wearing them down again. Rattle is reduced and won't get any worse. :thumb2 :thumb2

Is that the same wavy washer that that usually fits on the front ?
I've got another idea , got a spare front abs ring I'm gona fit it on the right hand side the same left one. ;)Might look a bit odd but I think it'll work :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom