New Megamoto

DAEDALUS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had the bike delivered on Saturday morning and then headed out in the rain to try her out, my initial impressions are that the bike looks alot better in the flesh than in the pictures I have seen and feels very small and light.

I do have one issue which I would like some feed back from any other owners out there.... the front forks are just about solid! I can get no more than 50mm movement out of them no matter what I do (riding over speed bumps, bouncing up and down on the bike and pushing down on the front end of the bike). I weigh 14 stone plus helmet and leathers and the sag from the suspension being unloaded to me being sat on the bike is 2mm (there is no preload adjustment).

I needed new fillings after a 50mile ride!:rolleyes:

My thoughts are that the springs are to hard in the front forks, an issue I will be taking up with the dealer/BMW today.

any thoughts......

I had the bike delivered on Saturday morning and then headed out in the rain to try her out, my initial impressions are that the bike looks alot better in the flesh than in the pictures I have seen and feels very small and light.

I do have one issue which I would like some feed back from any other owners out there.... the front forks are just about solid! I can get no more than 50mm movement out of them no matter what I do (riding over speed bumps, bouncing up and down on the bike and pushing down on the front end of the bike). I weigh 14 stone plus helmet and leathers and the sag from the suspension being unloaded to me being sat on the bike is 2mm (there is no preload adjustment).

I needed new fillings after a 50mile ride!:rolleyes:

My thoughts are that the springs are to hard in the front forks, an issue I will be taking up with the dealer/BMW today.

any thoughts......

Can you post some pictures of your Megamoto. I'm still waiting for mine here in the states. Thanks. How bout a ride report too!!!!!!!!

arrr sounds like

your comp damping is wound up to the max. Look in the handbook under comp/rebound damping and see what they say the number of clicks should be. I think on that bike one leg controls the comp damping and the other the rebound. Best turn it to full (hard) if its not already there then turn compleatly the other way counting how many clicks then devide by 2 and turn it back that many. Its a good starting point.
Harder controls dive on comp damping and rebound controls bounce. The ideal set up is totally a thing of personall prefferance but i always set my bikes with about 30% static sag (the differance between the lenght of fork with no weight on it and me then sat on it) best done with a tie wrap around the slider. Then to get the front and the rear set i twiddle with the rear damper until i can bounce the bike and both ends rise back up at the same speed. dead easy.:thumb2

Thanks for your suggestion.... I had already taken all the compression off the forks and this had helped a little but there is no static sag movement at all. BMW say the bike is sprung hard on purpose but I still think it is to hard for the average British road.......

As to a ride report I am still taking it easy at the moment but as I get nearer to 500 miles I did exceed the 4000rpm running in limit a little:green gri last night and wow what a difference. The engine transforms into a race bike all the lumpiness and vibrations vanish and my how it goes.

The build quality and detailing are very good.

Well,Daedalus,a Road Test in the new issue of TWO said much the same thing.Which means you are talking "Journalistic Bollox",or the Magazine have done a good assessment job.Seeing as you have spent your Hard Earned,i'd say you were right and the mag agrees.Wish i could afford the £6k i'd need to trade my GS.:thedummy

I've got a MM as well. There is no preload adjustment on the front. I, too, thought the set up was too stiff when I bought the bike. The standard setting is to turn the compression all the way to the right (clockwise from under the bike) then back it off 10 clicks. Compression must be equal on both legs and it is set on the bottom of the fork leg while the rebound is set on the top.

At first I reset all settings to the manual as a base line. I then tried backing off the front by 2 clicks. Big change. Much better. I then backed them off another 2 clicks for a total of 4 down from the stock settings. I've also backed off the rebound one click. These settings leave my front the way I want it.

It is stiffer than a GS or Adventure and much more stiff than the standard HP2 but it was designed to be that way given the purpose of the bike.

BTW, congrats on the new bike. I, too, haven't been able to completely flog the thing since weather has been either cold or wet since i bought it but I've had a few good rides regardless. One thing is for sure it's hard to hold on above 130MPH from the windblast. It will get up to those speeds MUCH faster than you would think.

Back
Top Bottom