Zumo (oand other GPS) Ground Loop Isolater

Padge

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm doing a search for a cheap ground loop isolater for connection the Zumo audio output to prevent any humming.
Autocom charge a crazy amount for their version.

So far I've only come up with e few options in the US with 3.5mm conections:

This one has 3.5mm - 2.5mm so you'll need an adapter
http://www.seidioonline.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=123

Another one.. Male - Female 3.5mm
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-aqQqO3ZqJXf/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=ground+loop&i=127SNI135

There's also someone selling these on US Ebay.
Search for Pac noise filter
There's one for $13 + $10 shipping to Ireland/UK

Has anyone found any cheap ones more locally (UK/Ireland) or at somewhere like Maplins?
Anyone know if they completely eliminate the humingor just suppress it?

I bought one similar to your first example, but with RCA jacks on it... have lots of RCA to stereo converters around, so no problem... at what used to be called Radio Shack, now called circuit city in Canada...

I'm only using one side of it for now... will need to hook the other side up if I want to use the microphone on my autocom to talk through my phone.

Al...

I'm doing a search for a cheap ground loop isolater for connection the Zumo audio output to prevent any humming.
Autocom charge a crazy amount for their version.
If you can solder you can make your own. You'll need one isolation transformer for mono or two for stereo. A suitable transformer is the OEP1200D available from RS Components. You'll also need something to mount it/them on such as veroboard. Use a normal 3.5mm male-to-male patch lead cut at an appropriate point with the transformer(s) wired in. You may also need a small attenuation resistor in series with each transformer primary. Finally you'll need to put the transformer(s) in a waterproof box.

In my experience, once you've costed this lot out, and taken into account your own time putting it together, you'll buy the Autocom isolator instead :cool:

If you can solder you can make your own. You'll need one isolation transformer for mono or two for stereo. A suitable transformer is the OEP1200D available from RS Components. You'll also need something to mount it/them on such as veroboard. Use a normal 3.5mm male-to-male patch lead cut at an appropriate point with the transformer(s) wired in. You may also need a small attenuation resistor in series with each transformer primary. Finally you'll need to put the transformer(s) in a waterproof box.

In my experience, once you've costed this lot out, and taken into account your own time putting it together, you'll buy the Autocom isolator instead :cool:

Both parts of this post are top advice!!

:thumb

Greg

Ground Loop Isolator

Halfords do one for about £15, as do Maplin. You may have to do a bit of soldering to get the right connections.

Rgards to all,

I bought one similar to your first example, but with RCA jacks on it... have lots of RCA to stereo converters around, so no problem... at what used to be called Radio Shack, now called circuit city in Canada...

I'm only using one side of it for now... will need to hook the other side up if I want to use the microphone on my autocom to talk through my phone.

Al...

Cheers.. Maplin have an RCA version with 2 input & output, so may be an option.

Both parts of this post are top advice!!

:thumb

Greg

Erm :confused:

Part one: Electronics 101 :nenau
Part two: £38 plus £3.50 postage for the Autocom unit..The ebay one I mentioned works out at £7 plus £5 postage...

I'm just looing for something I can get off the shelf locally?

Cheers.. Maplin have an RCA version with 2 input & output, so may be an option.

I bought one of these a while back for my Intaride, while its much cheaper than the Autocom version its also much bulkier and you'll also introduce four new solder connections, which for me at least caused some noise probs.

FWIW, the Intaride unit committed suicide when water ran down the power cable and got into the unit frying some components. As I had been waiting for Intaride to produce their Bluetooth chip since about Jan this year, I gave in and went back to Autocom. Glad I did - I got the new pro avi which is a superb piece of kit, you can really tell the difference in quality with all the attention to design and sheer quality. Its plenty loud enough, even with custom ear plugs, plus theres no ground loop interference from the Zumo to start with so I didnt need the filter lead after all!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom