Anyone got a trials bike, and are near Sheffield?

bigchris

Reaction score
Am considering buying myself a cheapo trials bike to pootle around and have a bit of fun on.

Just wanted a few quick questions - where could I practice? What should I be looking out for on a trials specific bike? Are the engines like moto-x'ers in that needing rebuilding every 60 hours or so? Recommended brands? Trials specific clubs in the region? etc etc.

Can anyone help?
:beerjug:

Trials

Chris -- I've two trials bikes , a TY80 that the children have out grown and is now seeing service with a friend's offspring , and a Montesa 315 that I use as something to fall off , fettle , get muddy , clean , fall off , fettle , clean etc.
To answer your queries in order : -
i/ - Loads of places to practice , from Sheffield you only need drop down into the Peaks to be spoiled for choice . However , you need to make sure that the ground you are using is a permitted practice area and that you have the landowner and / or club's permission to ride . Also , never practice on your own , you will fall off and it's only a matter of time before you'll need someone to help get you out from under your bike !
ii/ - You'll need to assess your needs , abilities , intended goals etc. , in order to determine which bike might be best for you . There are lots of different options .
iii/ - Trials bikes are very different from road , enduro , MX , green lane etc. bikes . Modern trials bikes are state of the art bikes that almost mirror push bikes with engines ! Until you've ridden a modern trials bike you probably would not believe quite how light , small , robust and responsive they are . Believe me , they are so good that they can even make me look halfway competent !
iv/ - No , trials bike engines tend not to need re-building as frequently as MXers , depending on the use / abuse they are subjected to , a weekly fettle in season followed by a full service at the end of a season will see a bike lasting for many years . I clean the filters after every trial / practice , change the oil after every three trials (approx, every 60 - 70 miles) and replace anything that needs it asap - it's my toy . You'll find that the majority of mature trials riders adopt a similar regime , so there will be lots of quality bikes out there .
v/ - Lots of second-hand bikes available , often last year's models which have seen not a lot of use and are being swopped for this years "shinny , shinny must have" model ! So , profit from others fashion victim status and grab a bargain .
vi/ - You can chose between two-stroke , or four stroke engines , each have their devotees . My bike's a two-stroke and more than enough for my limited abilities , but I admit I'm hankering after a four-stroke - I'm getting old !
vii/ - Get a copy of "Trials & Motorcross" , (TMX) , out each Friday and look for local clubs , trials , second-hand bikes etc.
viii/ - Go along to a local trial , get talking to the people there and they'll tell you about places to practice , local service suppliers , good bikes for sale etc. etc.
ix/ - If you're ever tempted to enter your first competative trial , I'd recommend giving one of the "Dead Easy" events run by the Manchester 17 club a go . They are based in Stockport and run several very easy trials each year based in Derbyshire , are very friendly and welcome wobblers like us .
Finally , enjoy yourself , and remember it's addictive .
All the best , Jim .
ps. - if you want some help - viewing a prospective purchase , having a visit to some of the practice grounds that I use , etc. I'd be more than happy to get involved - give me a pm and we can arrange details .

Ive got an F650 and do plenty of lanes round the Peak District.
It all depends what sort of off roading you are wanting to do:eek:
its a big 4 stroke single thumper, easy maintenance, cheap parts and up to now indestructable :thumb .
Oh yeah and cheap cheap insurance with my 1100 GS.
There are plenty of Lanes round the Peak district and many that are fairly technical, ie not just the sort with a little bit of loose gravel:cool:
I would like something a bit more hard core but for now the f650 will do for me:beerjug:

James - fantastic write up dude, I think I might take the offer of hooking up with you. You talk, i'll buy beer? :thumb

Daz - Are you the fella with the blue/white 650 dakar i've seen a few times on penistone road?

What im actually after, is a trials bike to do this kind of stuff, not offroading (as I already do that):-
wpe405.jpg

What im actually after, is a trials bike to do this kind of stuff, not offroading (as I already do that):-
wpe405.jpg

Whoa that's seriously scary stuff - I'm out on the GS tomorrow due to an injured wrist on mt Beta 250 week last Sunday, on a section shall we say somewhat less challenging that your pic, shall hopefully be fit by next weekend for the Barnsley Club Trial at Hood Green - directions on their web site if you fancy coming to have a look. I've got a grey Honda CRV for transport & 07 Beta to give you an idea who to look out for. I've not been riding for long myself, well not since 1976 anyway :eek: But appart from not bouncing as well as I did as a young 'un I'm having great fun :thumb2

Good load of friendly folks too, I was offered rides on loads of bikes from guys I'd never met before when I got talking to 'em saying I fancied starting up again - have a go you'll enjoy it.

Quite a lot of clubs now have easy routes in their club trials as well as dedicated "dead easy trials" so you can ride most weekends if you want. I've missed very few weekends since I started up again & have never had to drive more than 50 miles.

Maybe see ya next weekend.

Ade

Bugger i've just picked this up now. I did see it through google, and was going to go last weds, but it rained and didnt want to stand around in a woods getting wet.

Can you pm me, with your number so I can give you a ring for the next time?

That's like my Trials bike............:D

But it's definitely much better than I could ever dream of riding:augie

Respect...........now that's an offroad rider with balls:p

Get a 4RT 4 stroke, James............they're great:clap

4RT

Had a play on mine tonight..............got told off for climbing up and down the rockery though:p

Great fun to ride, even just doing full lock turns in the paddock..........improves your bike control no end :D (should have done more of that before Rosedale, Jim..........I guess:blast )

The original post was for a cheapo trials bike. A 4RT doesn't really fit the bill.

Gas Gas, 315R Montesa, Sherpa or similar would cost from £800-£1500 for a reasonably modern bike. I will guarantee they will be better than you are. If you've ever tried following a really good rider on a knacked old fantic you'll know that much of trials is about technique, ability and balls of steel. Unless you have all three, don't spend the big bucks on the fancy machinery.

The original post was for a cheapo trials bike. A 4RT doesn't really fit the bill.

Gas Gas, 315R Montesa, Sherpa or similar would cost from £800-£1500 for a reasonably modern bike. I will guarantee they will be better than you are. If you've ever tried following a really good rider on a knacked old fantic you'll know that much of trials is about technique, ability and balls of steel. Unless you have all three, don't spend the big bucks on the fancy machinery.

2005 4RT's are between £2k-£2.5k now, so depends on your (or Chris's) definition of cheap, helluva lot less than their new price tag of £4500 they cost when new

Well I work in a bank, so really, anything is cheap - just need to rob from more grannies bank accounts :rob

Nah, seriously im looking to spend mebbe 500 smackers to a grand on something. Dont mind extra if its gonna do me in good stead.

As for the 'bike is better than the rider' I should bloody hope so!

Back
Top Bottom