2720, 2820 or Zumo?

Beemer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I wasn't considering a Zumo, hadn't even heard of it 'til Judge mentioned it during the week in another post. Have now had a little read up on it and it seems one or two people from here have them. So what to buy????
I'm currently using a Quest (1), the antenna of which has given up the ghost.
What's the better of the three above taking into account cost and performance?
Oh I should mention that I'd want European mapping so the Zumo 550, at £433 from Blokesstuff, is what I've been looking at.
Can anyone tell me if you can drag the map on the Zumo to search around local to where you are as you can on the 2820?
Ta
Steve

Yes you can drag the map around to find/navigate to places, not just local but all over Europe.. ;)

£428 from mnc! Scala rider headsets for £69.99 too

Next day delivery

Got mine last week - well chuffed:thumb2

Long debate about which is better (and some comparisons) here ...
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98056 when you read this, bear in mind that the "auto-recalc" and the track log archiving bugs have been fixed.

IMHO, zumo is by FAR the best bike solution for on and off road use at this point in time. only 3 things the 2820 does better...
1. you can program area avoidances on the 2820
2. the data fields are customisable
3. you can see the POI's on the moving map screen (on the zumo you only see them on the map panning screen at 80 meters or closer)

Regards,
Dale

Thanks for your replies guys. Going to have a look at a mates 2820 at the weekend and see what I make of that. Then I'll try and have a look at a Zumo.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks for your replies guys. Going to have a look at a mates 2820 at the weekend and see what I make of that. Then I'll try and have a look at a Zumo.
Cheers
Steve

main issue which for so far has stopped me from repalcing my quest with a zumo is the fact that you cannot turn off 'autozoom' on the zumo whereas you can on the 2820 and quest. :)

This is not normally a problem but situations can occur where the road carries round in one direction but the GPS maps want you to go the other and it is not aware of the junction. because at tjhis point the unit may well be zoomed right out you can't see this until it suddenly announces you are "off route". :(
So for me it would be a 2820 until they include an option to tun autozoom off.
Peter

My vote goes to the Zumo.

Remember the early days of compact digital cameras? remember the issues with Shutter lag...the processing speed could not match the movement of the subject? I regard the 2600/2700 series Garmins as similar to the early digital cameras. They cannot recalculate fast enough to avoid rectifying mistakes in time. This is from bitter experience with BMW Navigators and Garmin units. The Zumo is faster and provides better routing than any GPS unit I have yet used, including top end car units. I plugged in the name of a small hotel in St Tropez, a small town plagued with one-way systems. The unit took me direct to the door, and irritatingly, despite my best efforts, provided an arrival time that was accurate to a couple of minutes over 3 hrs. It really is a good unit, but I do think the volume contols are way too low. Is it worth £450, mmm tough one that, but it certainly does wahat it sets out to do.

Thanks Max for your comments.

Can anyone tell me if the Zumo can be used inside a car? Obviously the Quest and 2820 are car compatible but is the Zumo?
Ta
Steve

No :blast

2820 is impressive and it's calculation rate was soo much quicker than my Quest, no doubt the Zumo's is similar.

You're quite right Andy, re all the "bells and whistles" in resepct of it's bluetooth features and MP3 etc on the 2820 and indeed the Zumo BUT I did appreciate the 2820's efficiency along with it's Postcode finding.

Think I need to have a play with a Zumo next.

Have Pm'd you re the 2610 mate.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom