Sputter...cough....engine cutting in and out

Tabasco

I'm having a problem on my HP2 when I get on the throttle at about the half way point.

Primarily in the first three gears when I crank the throttle open, the engine starts to cut out and in and out and in with a cacophony of back fire's and pop's through the tail pipe. The bike starts to buck like a wild horse until you back off the throttle. In the upper gears it happens as well but at that speed I don't really care to experience the control issues associated with it.

Prior to this, I rode the bike about 300 miles with no problems and after sitting for a week, this problem appeared on the first ride.

I've also noticed that sometimes when the key is turned on, the computer does not go through engine, ews and lamp checks. When it does go through the check, I get no errors.

Does this sound like a computer problem?

Anyone else have a similar issue?

Hi mate try disconechting the baterie for half anhoure then every thing schould resetitself etleist bthats how it used to be on a GS1150 so I dont think it would hurt to try
hope all goese well for you
nigel

I'm having a problem on my HP2 when I get on the throttle at about the half way point.

Primarily in the first three gears when I crank the throttle open, the engine starts to cut out and in and out and in with a cacophony of back fire's and pop's through the tail pipe. The bike starts to buck like a wild horse until you back off the throttle. In the upper gears it happens as well but at that speed I don't really care to experience the control issues associated with it.

Prior to this, I rode the bike about 300 miles with no problems and after sitting for a week, this problem appeared on the first ride.

I've also noticed that sometimes when the key is turned on, the computer does not go through engine, ews and lamp checks. When it does go through the check, I get no errors.

Does this sound like a computer problem?

Anyone else have a similar issue?

Hi mate try disconechting the baterie for half anhoure then every thing schould resetitself etleist bthats how it used to be on a GS1150 so I dont think it would hurt to try
nigel

Try disconnecting your battery for half an hour - it might reset your typing.:D :D :type :D :D

Thanks to all. I tried the reset with no luck, checked the plugs, air filter and connections all fine.

I will disable the side stand switch next, and see what happens. That thing is not very well thought out at all.

Thanks again

The problem is the side-stand cut out switch. You need to cut the brown & white wires going to the side-stand switch and short them together. See this thread for more information:-

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84338

it will hopefully explain how to do it. It's a very common cause of misfiring on the HP2 but easy to fix :thumb2

Yep. Switch. Splice the wires and hey presto.

nigel

Are you using a Welsh keyboard?:D

Wait, there's more

Side stand switch is known to fail pretty early on, depending on how hard you use your bike, but is pretty easy to rectify. Happened to me a while back, but the following weekend I managed to kill my HP and it'll now be off the road for a couple of weeks :( . Very sorry tale indeed. Was heading North to the Taranaki region for a bit of an adventure with a few mates, it was disgustingly wet and miserable but always keen I suppose. I made it 16kms out of Wellington at which time I went from about 90kph to 90 degrees to the centre line in the space of a heartbeat, the engine just quite and everything locked up :eek: . Fortunately very little opposing traffic, so no distractions while regaining some sort of order. I think Kerry, the guy riding behind me, thought I was showing off. At least he stopped to see that all was okay. He did say from where he was sitting it all looked rather dramatic :blast I was too busy working on the self preservation thing to be too worried at the time. Looking back on it, she could have turned out really bad, especially if I'd actually ditched it. Sadly, was not able to get the bike going again, so sat out an hour or two waiting for Dealer transport on the porch at some car haulage place. At least I had shelter (and my thermos of soup ) so was pretty fine about the whole thing. As it happens Kerry ended up about two kms up the road in a gravel layby, something also stuffed on his GS (turn out the fuel pump sender unit fried itself). So we had a good chat on the way back into town in the Transit and decided we just weren't meant to go on this trip. Popped in to talk with my "service technician" (what happened to good old "mechanic") last week and the diagnosis on mine is very sad. Seems that Herman forgot one or two of the cable ties on the day he was putting the HP together, consequently the wiring loom chaffed through on the frame where the tank is mounted (right hand side), arced 5 or 6 wires and fried the main processor. Loads of faults being returned and unable to clear. Must say it's the first time in 20 odd years of owing BMWs that I've encountered such a major problem. Previous bikes have all gone through many miles, mostly torturous adventure rides, without any problems - so I'm just putting this down to a bit of rotten luck. Ah well, warranties are handy I suppose, BMW are freighting out all the necessary bits (including a whole new loom) and will all be back up and running for the next ride we have planned over the mighty Motu Road up in the Bay of Plenty middle of August.

Might be worth just checking that your loom is not rubbing away on some part of the frame every now and then.

Cheers
Garry

Well knock me down with foogin feather.

Some ears should have been burning about an hour ago.

Telling me that the side stand switch would come apart in my hand when I pulled it off (before cutting the wires) accompanied by little teeeeeeeny springs bouncing about my garage would have been a good tip.

On the other hand, maybe it's not supposed to do that and was precisely my problem. When the pieces went flying, a few choice words flowed forth on either side of "this better be the friggen problem cause I'm never going to get it back together".

In any case I thought you all were certifiably nuts that the side stand sensor could cause a problem like that but after closer inspection, I saw that the case around the sensor was cracked. When I spliced the wires presto!!!!!!!

A brand spanking new bike.

Runs like a champ and better than ever.

Problem solved and a hardy thanks to all for your assistance.

I'll be back in the UK in September or October and will be happy to buy the beer.

Cheers

coils..

well, I had exactly the same problem, spluttering, misfiring including cuting out with the side stand up etc..

the dealer changed the side stand switch AND also an ignition coil which was faulty..

well, I had exactly the same problem, spluttering, misfiring including cuting out with the side stand up etc..

the dealer changed the side stand switch AND also an ignition coil which was faulty..

Bypass the switch now anyway, the new one will eventually fail.

Got my bike back yesterday, I'm grateful for the great service from our local dealer - and for Mr BMW stumping up the cost :clap

Cheers
Garry

flex and coils

absolutely... will get on with that switch as soon as I take take another sicky off work..

seems to be the flex of the rather long side stand that keeps cracking the switch.

even the chap at BMW suggested I should look into bypassing the switch myself, he said they are not allowed to do it blah blah blah...

--

but my HP2 had just under 7000 miles on the clock, ignition coils shouldn't fail that quickly surely!! or should they.?

Back
Top Bottom