Advice For First Timer In France.....

samclifford

Folks

Just after some initial advice for a planned trip to France if possible.

After looking at Google Earth and reading quite a few threads on here, I mainly want to take in the Milau bridge and then head up towards Paris and Eurodisney (for the missus, honestly) before a chunnel crossing home.

Where would I best sailing to for this to happen and does anyone have any costs for the ferries? (rough estimates)

Cheers

Sam

Folks

Just after some initial advice for a planned trip to France if possible.

After looking at Google Earth and reading quite a few threads on here, I mainly want to take in the Milau bridge and then head up towards Paris and Eurodisney (for the missus, honestly) before a chunnel crossing home.

Where would I best sailing to for this to happen and does anyone have any costs for the ferries? (rough estimates)

Cheers

Sam

Hi Sam,

I think you should plan to travel via Dover to Calais or Dunkirk.

You can cross on the western side, Caen, St Malo, Cherbourg but that means Portsmouth or Pool, not great if you are in Yorkshire but not impossible. More expensive as well.

P&O, Seafrance for Dover - Calais and Norfolk Lines from Dover to Dunkirk.

All the prices are on their websites or call them. They are very helpful.

http://www.poferries.com/tourist/

http://www.seafrance.com/seafrance/opencms/uk/en/passenger/index.html

http://www.norfolkline-ferries.co.uk/EN

Bike / MCN often have promotion codes, these sometimes make a small difference. If you can't find them just ask the agent you speak to if they are doing any motorbike discounts. They will ask what mag's you read, simply list all the mag's you can think of, eventually you will hit the right one and bingo.

Norfolkk lines are cheapest (or usually are) - good but takes about half an hour longer, no big deal.

Reluctant to guess prices as times of sailing and days, particularly in August or in the school hol's rush can jump. Probable max £85 return for good times, possible minimum £35 return? I have done it for £16 return but only once!

Train can be very pricey; but again, have done it for £35 return on a Wednesday evening.

You will always find someone who has done it for 50p but never hear from those who have spent over a ton!

Edit:

I see you are coming back by train, that means (I guess) a single outward ticket on the ferry. Probably makes it a bit more than simply half the price of a return.

Last edited:
Hello Sam

If you're going out on the tunnel as well as returning, at least you don't haveto worry about which route to take. :D

Both ferries and tunnel operate what they call an airline style booking system. The further in advance you book it, the cheaper it is. But if you have to make amendments nearer the time, they'll charge you extra. In the tunnel, at least, the return price is ismply the cost of the two single journeys, so you wouldn't lose out by doing it just one way.

An option that I've taken before is catching the long-haul P&O ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao. This is actually reasonably good fun - beer and fags are dead cheap on the boat so it does attract a particular kind of clientele, including those who enjoy a pint or two with/instead of breakfast - and last a night, a day and another night. It isn't cheap, but also isn't that much more expensive than petrol and tyres. You could have a fine time riding across Spain, or in the Pyrenees, before heading up across the Millau bridge (which I think is well worth seeing). Last time we did this (2006) I think the ferry cost around £100 one way for bike and rider. It goes twice a week.

Brittany Ferries do a service from Plymouth to Santander, but I've never used this one. I wouldn't recommend either of these trips if seasickness is an issue for you or your pillion!

If you're going to stick to the short channel crossings, there are some great roads in the Massif Central in France, particularly down towards the Cevennes. Look for a town called Bedarieux - everywhere round there is great, and the weather is usually pretty reliable too. The Tarn gorge itself is also an interesting ride - almost unbearably pretty in places.

Wherever you go, have a great trip. :thumb

Le Puy & Milleau - Worth the Ride

My mate and I went down to the Milleau bridge last year - spectacular. We stayed in Le Puy in the Masif further North, good biking country and they like bikers. If you pass by Le Puy, find the Bar Latino ne Harry's Bar in the old part of town. Seems to be a space-time singularity - we went in then woke up some time later the next day, cant say for sure what happened in between, may have had something to do with the Cuban cocktails.

We went care of Eurotunnel £150, boring but quick and convenient. Used the rough guide to France to find hotels, all Ok - not grand but cheap and useable, had no trouble parking bikes away from the road.

Sam, As I have said on many occasions before on this site, you are welcome here for an overnight stop should you want too. We will even get the bikes out and show you around if you want.
My email address is on the top right hand side of my blog.

Bob
http://bikesindordogne.blogspot.com/

Folks

Firstly apologies for the delay in replying, I cannot check the posts every day unfortunately.....

Secondly:

madman - thanks for the offer, you have been placed on the 'list' of potential visiting places!

wirewheel - that bar sounds my kind of place, second on the 'list'!

wapping and robin - top pieces of advice, thank you. From what my wife tells me about her sea sickness, the overnighter is not looking promising....

I have tried to look at ferry places for next year, seems that they are not out yet for some reason.....

have just started reading the rough guide to france, so will see where that gets me.

Will keep monitoring this part of the forum and see what tips, hints etc I can pick up.

Thanks again folks

Sam

A guy who owns a GS1150 Adventure needs advice on how to ride from Yorkshire to EuroDisney :confused:

The best ferry and tunnel prices I`ve ever found have been via MotorSport Travel....I`ve used them for every trip.

My Stella trip this year was via Dover/Calais that was £42 return.

Last year,they got me a return Euro Tunnel ticket for £57.

Advice in France??

Keep to the right :D
Said as a reminder ...especially after filling up... to make sure you ride away on the correct side of the road.

If you`re not sure of all the legal requirements regarding documents and items you must have on the bike,find out and get what`s needed,as the French police are tightening up on legal niceties and on the spot fines prevail.
Likewise for traffic laws,especially stop signs at junctions.

Above all,go for it and enjoy :thumb

Dont know if this is a bit late but here goes. I commute from France to UK once or twice a month and have found Transmanche ferries to be as cheap as any and good with securing bikes etc. Always first on and off. Newhaven Dieppe is good compromise route wherever your going in France. Try and be in Dieppe on a Sunday afternoon as it is like a mini Isle of Man. Plus the locals are friendly. Actually the locals are friendly through out France. Im sure you will have a great time. Gendarmes are OK to bikers unless you are being really stupid.
Regards

Martin

CHROME WONT GET YOU HOME!

Advice in France??

Keep to the right :D
Said as a reminder ...especially after filling up... to make sure you ride away on the correct side of the road.

It may seem so obvious - but it's so easily forgotten!

Greg

Get a Garmin 2610 or Zumo and plan a route away from the toll roads
(you don't have to follow the route if you don't feel like it - but it is useful to have)

Laminate a big red arrow, fit it to your headstock - pointing to the right..... it will always remind you of where the kerb is meant to be.

Keep an eye on your tank range, and leave yourself a good margin.

Al :thumb2

Sea France Ferries have moved across to using bike stands on their ferrires over the last few years. Much better than the old 'tie it down yourself' approach.

If using the ferries and seasickness is a problem, then talk to your local chemist (or health food type shop) about Ginger capsules. My missus gets pretty seasick, and uses these when we are sailing (and using ferries) and she swears by them. They don't have any side effects unlike some of the commercial tablets (sleepiness etc)

GPS is useful for a trip to foreign parts, especially for finding the hotel (B&B/Campsite) at the end of the day.

The tip about the laminated red arrow is a good one, in my experience most accidents seem to occurr at the start or the end of the day (unless your a nob in a power ranger suit)

Enjoy France it's a fantastic place to ride the bike.

i can be a bit "hard of thinking" sometimes :blast
so i stick a little red arrow sticker on my ignition - so when i turn the bike on...it reminds me.
a little red arrow sticker on my speedo - so when i look at my speed.....
a little red arrow sticker on my mirrors - so.....

you get the idea :thumb

may look stoopid - but i'm still alive to tell the tale :p

Keep an eye on your tank range, and leave yourself a good margin.
If you've got a 1150 GSA tank range won't be a big issue, but fill it up to the brim whenever you can. The only hassle I've had in France is getting petrol - it seems that the majority of stations are unmanned (especially on Sundays) and for some reason they won't accept my British card. :mad:

If you're really stuck, you can always plan a route that takes you partly along a motorway service station or ask a local to charge it to their card and just give them the Euros. Just don't ask how I know. :eek:

I don't like leaving the bike overnight anywhere where it can be seen by Joe Public (but in fairness, this applies to every country, not just France). We did this once ouside a city centre hotel in Caen and some scrote snapped a key in my brothers ignition barrel. Caused loads of grief.

Few weeks ago it accepted my Visa card no problem. Which is just as well as my GSA only has a small tank. I always take a few "emergency" litres. Strapped to pannier :augie See pic.
I used a piece of ribbon tied to my mirror. Slight flutter to catch my eye and remind me which side I should be on. Swapped on the ferry on the way home, after a few 000 miles you need to remember to go back to the right side, which of course is the left side, I think. See that’s why I needed the ribbon. :D
219604920-S.jpg

For cheap and clean accommodation look for the Formule 1 range of motels. These tend to be situated in out-of-town industrial estates, hence the bargain basement prices but there's usually a shopping mall with eateries within walking distance.

Unless you are in a hurry, keep off the toll roads and stay on the 'N' roads which are superb and have less traffic. These will take you through towns and villages so you'll see more of the 'real' France.

The only time I've ever had problems with riding on the wrong side is first thing in the morning or leaving a gas station, just when you're not concentrating completely. Other than that, it's fine. Sometimes I have a memory lapse after returning to the UK.:eek:

As has been said above, never wait until a Sunday to fill up as most garages are closed. Petrol can always be found on autoroute service stations though, but you're staying off those aren't you?

France is three times the size of the UK but with the same population. Superb for riding.

Greg
I've just done a quick search on Google and you're right - in late 2006 France had a population of 60,742,000 and in 2007 the United Kingdom had a population of 60,776,238. So 34,238 out, sorry.:duno

The other western channel operator to bear in mind is LD Lines (www.ldlines.co.uk). They operate out of Portsmouth and Newhaven to Le Havre. The vessels and facilities may not be as new, or have the range of facilities, as the larger carriers but they do have the benefit of being considerably cheaper (particulalrly if booking well ahead as has been mentioned in an earlier post).

Approx 4 hours from Sheffield to Portsmouth, then sleep on the ferry and start your journey at 0800hrs in France.

Believe me, not the same population!

:eek:

i suspect Greg refers to the .... "cultural differences" / not the amount ;)

Vive Le Difference!
its Biking heaven over there :bounce1

oh - and i look for Logis De France hotels - always good food :thumb

Back
Top Bottom