KTM 690

Steve,I know of a bloke who had one,he was so impressed with it,he traded it against a 950 SM before he'd used his 2nd tank of petrol.I heard he might be having an Aprilia Tuono next week.:augie :augie

The 640 has gone in to get the pipe and carb fitted.The workshop where PJGoose69 did his bike is doing the work and PJ is giving a hand.They tried to talk me into BIG Big-Bore kit (700cc ish) but the finances won't allow. . .Yet !

I had a go on the 690SM yesterday, while the 950adv was being serviced.

First ride on any SM (KTM or otherwise) to be honest, so I'm not really qualified to say how it compares to the 640 or any similar bikes. FWIW, my initial thoughts:
- More civilised than expected, not exactly a bimbling bike but certainly capable of trickling along in town if needed. (Bike I rode was brand new, so I'd expect engine to be even more flexible when run in.)
- Seat rock hard!
- Most at home on smaller A-roads/bigger B-roads (so quite a narrow band then :rolleyes: ), zipping along between 40 and :augie mph. Motorways and dual carriageways do-able but no fun.
- Brakes awesome :eek:
- Very light and flickable, feels like there's almost nothing to it
- Sharp throttle response, but suits character of the bike

As with everything else I've read about SM's, it's a great toy but can't see myself using it for anything other than (short) sunny Sunday/evening blasts, so difficult to justify for me.

Haven't tried or seen adventure version (if there is such a thing yet :nenau ) but I assume they will replace 640 at some point. If/when they do and the 800GS comes out, the comparison could be interesting..... :D

Steve,I know of a bloke who had one,he was so impressed with it,he traded it against a 950 SM before he'd used his 2nd tank of petrol.I heard he might be having an Aprilia Tuono next week.:augie :augie

The 640 has gone in to get the pipe and carb fitted.The workshop where PJGoose69 did his bike is doing the work and PJ is giving a hand.They tried to talk me into BIG Big-Bore kit (700cc ish) but the finances won't allow. . .Yet !

H,mmmmmmmmm wonder who that bloke might be,,,, drums fingers !!!!!!!
Good luck with the 640, oh by the way i got a brand new KTM chain and oil filter kit for the 640 if you know anyone wants it.£65 delivered.
steve.

Back
Top Bottom