Help with Green lanes in France

Sparky GS'r

Hello,

Is it possible to get some green laning in, in France?

I've heard rumour of some good off-roading to be had, I've searched the interweb and failed to find anything other than 4x4 courses, who aren't up for hepling me:( , so any advice will be welcomed. :nod

Cheers Stu
Ride Safe & Rock HARD!:guitarist

Hello,

Is it possible to get some green laning in, in France?

I've heard rumour of some good off-roading to be had, I've searched the interweb and failed to find anything other than 4x4 courses, who aren't up for hepling me:( , so any advice will be welcomed. :nod

Cheers Stu
Ride Safe & Rock HARD!:guitarist

There are a few companies that offer guided off road tours in France and elsewhere.....best adverts found in Trail Bike Magazine (TBM)
most seem to rely on you having your own bike and getting it out there by van I suppose!
A bloke who writes for them Chris Evans apparently has abusiness doing this..
try www.sport-adventure.com
local leaders he says means no aggro from the locals:rolleyes:
another one is ww.enduroholidays.com...rides in alps
or www.trailridingfrance.co.uk for south west france

if you give it a go maybe you can post a trip report so the rest of us can learn from your experience?
good luck:thumb

there's what they call agricultural roads these mainly compacted graded I went on a couple a few years ago (10-15+ years) right down the bottom. Tolouse bad spelling oops. was okay road where well maintained with locals buzzing about on vellocetes. Nice in sunshine someone I spoke said you could go the length of france on these roads/ tracks but they take abit of imagination to string together

Thanks chaps. I have heard of these agricultural "routes". I shall get investigating and will report back with any good news.:thumb

By the way, did you know there's a two loos cafe in Aylesbury? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Stu
Ride safe & Rock HARD! .:guitarist

Paris-Roubaix? :) Seriously, it might be worth looking up some of the cycle race routes, not sure where you would look them up, but might be worth a search on tinternet.

They started passing a law here, forbidding all green lane riding. It got successfully blocked by French Angry Biker Association, but.... it's still difficult.

North France is the most difficult. The law has become murky. I've been stopped by cops on a hiking path, but talked myself out of it, since they were not to sure about the law themselves.

There are several areas in the North you can ride off road, through forests etc, but there aren't that many.

Down South there are far more official trails you can take. There are off road schools (none up here), and tours organized.

Don't know about green lanes here in the south, but there are plenty of rough roads. The one to my house is quite rough. See this youtube video and see what I mean. The wife and I manage it on our R1100S's but only just. There are thousands of roads like this here and they are classified as roads so anyone can use them. This is the only one that we can use, but there are others that I would need an off road bike for!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TNNAzzZhLI

Hi,

Not sure where in France you wish to go but several friends have done the Chris Evans trips and rave about them. A few of us from Sidcup &DMCC recently went across to Lille in Northern France for a days riding with the Azimut Enduro Club. I'm not sure how rigidly they stuck to the letter of the law, but I was amazed at the places that we did ride :clap How about the platform of a rural railway station having approached from the rail bed, or , up the embankement of an autoroute !

Azimut have a good web site I believe, the guys were really friendly but you would probably need to be on an enduro bike to get the best from it.

If you are on the BMW club site there is a guy called Stephen Dunne (Dunney) who lives (part time) just off the A20 at Corezze who has loads of info for green lanes in that area, he reckons that about 90% of what looks rideable is. He rides with a couple of local guys who have extensive knowledge and history.

Good luck

Barry

Back
Top Bottom