Any one gone from a GSA12 to a KTM 990EFI?

Robbo1200ADV

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Man o Man have got a loan bike KTM 990 EFI Adventure while my 950SM is being serviced and a few recall bits and pieces (starter +rear brake) And I LOVE IT!!!!!Its such a Fantastic Bike great to HOON around on ,Fast Slim comfortable ,Its like having an Affair!! feck what am I going to say to my GSA?:eek: :eek: :eek: This could get serious HEEEEEEEEEEELPPPPPPPP:bow

Man o Man have got a loan bike KTM 990 EFI Adventure while my 950SM is being serviced and a few recall bits and pieces (starter +rear brake) And I LOVE IT!!!!!Its such a Fantastic Bike great to HOON around on ,Fast Slim comfortable ,Its like having an Affair!! feck what am I going to say to my GSA?:eek: :eek: :eek: This could get serious HEEEEEEEEEEELPPPPPPPP:bow

Treat it like any affair, use, maybe even abuse a bit, then send it back dirty to its rightful owner.

Shep

Slim sexy KTM :D or big fat ugly GS :(

I'm selling my GS 1200 and replacing it with a KTM 950 / 990 not sure which one yet .

How did you find the 990 ? theres a lot of talk about surging and throttle snatch at low speeds ...

There appears to be surging and snatching.

Surging is poor speed stability on a steady throttle at, say 20mph.

Snatch is a jerk when you get back on the throttle after its closed when, for example, starting to go round a bend.

06 990s seem to suffer from snatch quite a lot - the one I test rode did - but 07s suffer far less (though some say it's still not great).

06 990s can also suffer from surge but the one I rode didn't. It can be fixed, it is said, by starting the engine, running it for 15 minutes then switching off, leaving the throttle alone throughout. You only have to do this once. Some say good injector balance is important here also.

For 06s, snatch can be cured (worked-around, really) by fitting an eccentric cam to the throttle which moves the throttle cable less for a given grip movement at low openings then compensates back at higher openings. BMW do a similar thing on the R1200S, I think.

The reason for surge appears to be poor setup. The reason for snatch is probably the ignition/fuelling map. It seems that it's been improved in 07 but I don't know if it can be applied to an 06 bike.

My 07 990 doesn't suffer surge at all and the snatch is bearable but it is a bit harder to ride on twisty, slippery roads compared with the GS.

Carburetted 950s are generally snatch and surge free.

Snatch is a jerk when you get back on the throttle after its closed when, for example, starting to go round a bend.

06 990s seem to suffer from snatch quite a lot - the one I test rode did - but 07s suffer far less (though some say it's still not great).

06 990s can also suffer from surge but the one I rode didn't. It can be fixed, it is said, by starting the engine, running it for 15 minutes then switching off, leaving the throttle alone throughout. You only have to do this once. Some say good injector balance is important here also.

For 06s, snatch can be cured (worked-around, really) by fitting an eccentric cam to the throttle which moves the throttle cable less for a given grip movement at low openings then compensates back at higher openings. BMW do a similar thing on the R1200S, I think.

The reason for surge appears to be poor setup. The reason for snatch is probably the ignition/fuelling map. It seems that it's been improved in 07 but I don't know if it can be applied to an 06 bike.

My 07 990 doesn't suffer surge at all and the snatch is bearable but it is a bit harder to ride on twisty, slippery roads compared with the GS.

There is a cheap fix for the throttle about sixty quid I seem to recall .

as for the faithful bit .

have your fill of fun with the slim sexy one then creep back to your lard arse wife (and I do mean the GSA before any women read this ) :augie

futures bright ;)

Slim sexy KTM :D or big fat ugly GS :(

I'm selling my GS 1200 and replacing it with a KTM 950 / 990 not sure which one yet .

How did you find the 990 ? theres a lot of talk about surging and throttle snatch at low speeds ...

Its there but not bad,if you keep it Nailed there is no problem.around town its snatchy at low speed but I could get over that it really is a very usable tool,and I have been impressed .I had a Go on an 05 bike a couple of years ago and this is more comfortable ,seat that is.If I had the money I'd get one but I like the SM and the GSA too much...................at the moment:eek: :nenau

Thanks for above info very helpfull :thumb2

I was in Nottingham last month and popped into Leisure trail UK on way back home ...They've got a couple of 990s in the the showroom it was love at first sight :D

I've got a couple of 950s to look at this weekend then its make your mind up time....Apart from fuel injection , ABS , and a face lift are there any other differences between the 950 and the 990 ?

Apart from fuel injection, ABS, and a face lift are there any other differences between the 950 and the 990 ?
Probably the biggest one is the seat. On the 950s it's like a plank. I sat on a parked one last year and it was uncomfortable even then.

The 990s are fine. I reckon as comfortable as a GS; different as they're narrower but as comfortable. If you're buying a 950 from a dealer, insist on a 990 seat (not the lowered gel seat but the seat from a 990 - I can look up the P/N).

Being injected, the 990 loses a bit of fuel capacity (1l?) to the 950 as the fuel pump's in the tank (the left one).

The 990 loses the underseat helmet locking hook (but bizarrely the Aurel cable is still in the tool kit).

I'm struggling now...

07 990s get an accessory socket as standard but it can easily be retrofitted to any 9x0.

Heh! Given your experience with KTM, would you go for the 950 carb or 990 FI version?

I've seen reports of snatching and surging etc with the FI models. Whaddayareckon?

How many miles can you get from fully fueled?

(oh and yes, missus has given me permission to convert to the orange side...)
:thumb2

Heh! Given your experience with KTM, would you go for the 950 carb or 990 FI version?

I've seen reports of snatching and surging etc with the FI models. Whaddayareckon?

How many miles can you get from fully fueled?

(oh and yes, missus has given me permission to convert to the orange side...)
:thumb2

I had one of the first KTM 950 ADV Ss in 2004.

It was a brilliant bike and I wish now that I had kept it.

When I was thinking about a GSA12 last year,I tried an 06 KTM 990 Adv but didn't like it at all.

It felt so small after my 950 S-the old standard 950 Adv was as tall as the new 990 S.

I know that KTM are catering more for the masses and all the short arses but it's a shame they diluted a great bike-they also fitted it with a shit gel seat which feels fine for short distances but is too soft over a long journey.

Also,as mentioned on numerous posts here,the 06 990s had crap FI.

BUT last week I rode my mates/local dealer demo 07 990 Adv as he wanted a blat on my SD and it is MUCH improved over the old 06 model in the FI department-still too small though.

I would be seriously tempted to trade my GSA12 in next year for an 990 ADV S if it wasn't for the likelihood of KTM bringing out an all new 1150 ADV/ADV S in 2009 using the motor from the 2008 RC8 sportsbike.

If that happens it will be a stunning machine and I think the GSA will have to go.

Cheers muchly!

Any other known faults etc, things I should be looking out for when I come to buy?

What are they like for servicing etc?

The 950s were slightly prone to head gaskets failing.

I did some long trips down to Spain etc and it never left me stranded.

Servicing is very easy-I take it to the dealer and he calls me when the service is complete.

:D

Cheers muchly!

Any other known faults etc, things I should be looking out for when I come to buy?

What are they like for servicing etc?

I've had the 12GS and 12GSA. This KTM is lot more fun:aidan

Not having a go at the beemers as the GSA was fantastic and I was gutted to see it go but the KTM really makes me smile. Been going the "long way home" every night.:thumb2

Seems well built enough and with the touring screen on it I would happily tour Europe. The standard screen gave me whiplash!!

You are more than welcome to come and take a butchers/throw your leg over mine if you want?

Get one:D:D:D

Lol its like that is it?

Well as it happens I can happily decline the offer of a test ride, as I skillfully avoided signing up for a spanking new 990, in favour of a 950s for £5400, complete with roll cage, gps holder, alarm, and the go faster blue/orange colour.

I wasnt too impressed when i jumped on the 990 and found the seat height lower than that of my gs!

In all honestly, I dont mind which I go for, but the dude in the shop said that valves need to be checked each and every service (4k interval?) and that the cost would be about £250.

Sound about right?

In all honestly, I dont mind which I go for, but the dude in the shop said that valves need to be checked each and every service (4k interval?) and that the cost would be about £250.

Sound about right?

The valves are checked every other service.

Back
Top Bottom