Route des Grandes Alpes

Yorkie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is anyone doing the Route des Grandes Alpes this year?

Peter

I did the southern half of it a couple of weeks ago (from Briancon down to Sospel). If the weather is kind to you (and it was to us) it's great.

Inhindsight, we planned too many miles for a day - We rode from Grenoble to Briancon (taking slight detours to do the Alpe d'Huez road then the Galibier), then down to Sospel, although we took the Bonnette road which probably added some more time. We left at 9:00 am, got to Sospel at 9:00 pm absolutely knackered, and could really have done with more time for photos and enjoying the scenery. There were some bits I would have liked to have gone back and ridden again!

Have you looked at this website ?

Hi Robin,
We did it last year and I loved it. The reason for posting was to try to find someone who was going to do it this year who might do me a small favour.
Regards,
Peter

Too late I read it :nenau sorry. I just arrived back at 0200 h today from the top down to Grenoble, cut it short cos one of us suffered severe vertigo :eek: :eek: As a matter of interest what was the favour si vous plais ?

Three of us started doing long trips 2 yrs ago. On the first one (Santiago de Compostela), one of the group bought us all tacky souvenir stickers to put on the bike panniers (the sort you see all over caravan windows, etc). Last year we did the Route des Grandes Alpes and I meant to get some stickers at a souvenir shop at the top of one of the high passes but got so excited doing the ride that I forgot. We came back up Route Napoleon so we got ones of the Gorge de Verdon but I would have liked to get hold of some (3) Grandes Alpes ones if anyone is passing that way.

Cost of stickers, postage and a couple of beers for anyone who can oblige.

Peter

Well it probably will be at some point - might do it south to north next time just for a change. This year we are doing the southern Pyrenees - N260 etc.
Peter

Three of us started doing long trips 2 yrs ago. On the first one (Santiago de Compostela), one of the group bought us all tacky souvenir stickers to put on the bike panniers (the sort you see all over caravan windows, etc). Last year we did the Route des Grandes Alpes and I meant to get some stickers at a souvenir shop at the top of one of the high passes but got so excited doing the ride that I forgot. We came back up Route Napoleon so we got ones of the Gorge de Verdon but I would have liked to get hold of some (3) Grandes Alpes ones if anyone is passing that way.

Cost of stickers, postage and a couple of beers for anyone who can oblige.

Peter

Going in October... let me know if you haven't got any by end of Sept:thumb

You, Sir, are a gentleman. I will let you know if I have not succeeded by then.

Thanks for the offer.
Peter

Col d'Iseran closed!!!!

Proper snow in Val d'Isere NOW!!!

Col d'Iseran is presently closed. Has to be earliest start ever.

Changes existing plans for anyone doing Route Grandes Alpes, but damn good news for booked skiing holiday!

stay safe.

Proper snow in Val d'Isere NOW!!!

Col d'Iseran is presently closed. Has to be earliest start ever.

Changes existing plans for anyone doing Route Grandes Alpes, but damn good news for booked skiing holiday!

stay safe.

Was up there last week... no snow on any of the passes on the Route des Grandes Alpes. Plenty of glorious weather (cold) and no traffic... perfect :thumb2

Attachments

• Brian 100.jpg
    Brian 100.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 449

Back
Top Bottom