Garmisch... The Long Way Round Version 2 (with photos)

Blowzorn

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having been to the BMW biker meet 3 years running now we thought we'd try something different this year.
There’s only so much bratwurst and umpaa music a man can take so rather than spend 2/3 days walking round the same old stands and events we decided (that is PBerrey and myself) to just call in at Garmisch and pick up a T-shirt and use the rest of the time seeing a bit more of Europe and having a good old play in the Alps.

Day One Wednesday 4th July
Maidenhead to Millau
690 miles

Today started very early up at 03:30 on the road by 04:00, to catch the 05:40 Euro-tunnel crossing.
Euro07_01.jpg

Euro07_02.jpg

Euro07_03.jpg

We couldn’t have chosen a worse day to travel with the rain and wind lashing down. Our only consolation and the thought that kept us driving on was it was bound to get brighter and warmer the further south we got.
Euro07_04.jpg

There were pockets of sunshine on route but sure as eggs is eggs the foul weather would return. It wasn’t until we got the first glimpse of the bridge about 15 km north of Millau that the sun finally came out for good.
Euro07_05.jpg

Quality bit of wiring
Euro07_09.jpg

Found a cracking campsite on the banks of the river Tarn right by the town centre and that was us done for the day.
Euro07_13.jpg

Euro07_14.jpg

No body move, my contacts just here
Euro07_15.jpg

Euro07_18.jpg

Euro07_20.jpg

Highlight of the day had to be the périphérique. What a crazy road that is. Thought we were filtering fast but the locals made us look like pussies. Loads of room to filter though and car drivers that are so bike aware made it a blast.

Day Two Thursday 5th July
Millau to Genoa
425 miles
The day started brilliantly, with a blast down the A75 to Montpellier. This has to be one of the greatest stretches of motorway in the world. You descend about 1500m over a 30km stretch with some blinding bends.
Euro07_30.jpg

By the time we took our first break near Arles the temperature had risen 15 degrees and it was a beautiful day to hit the Cote d’azur. Next stop Nice and a dip in the sea.
Euro07_31.jpg

Euro07_33.jpg

Now you’re probably all expecting loads of topless shots of bronzed bathing goddesses along the promenade d’anglais. Well I’m sorry to disappoint.
Don’t know what it is about Thursday afternoons in Nice but all the bathers were well over 60 and the only tits I saw were like wet pitta breads.
Euro07_34.jpg

Euro07_40.jpg

No time to rest The glitz of Monaco awaits and my first altercation with the European Police.
Euro07_42.jpg

Euro07_43.jpg

Sorry Miss, so I’m not supposed to stray across that solid white line. Smarm, charm, smarm. “My, My your just the prettiest thing I’ve ever seen in a uniform.”

Got away without the 150euro on the spot fine. Close shave.
The A8 along the coast of Italy is another sublime road, an engineering masterpiece of tunnels and viaducts. What a stonker.

Day 3 Friday 6th July
Genoa to Garmisch
390 miles

This was the day we’d most been looking forward to. A quick blast north to the top of lake Como then into the alps to play in some passes.
Pass 1 Maloja Pass
Euro07_51.jpg

This runs from Chiavenna in Italy to St Moritz in Switzerland and what can you say, it’s twisty and turny like a great big twisty turny thing.
Euro07_55.jpg

Euro07_56.jpg

Euro07_57.jpg

Pass 2 Bernina Pass 2800m
Euro07_63.jpg

Euro07_65.jpg

The highest pass of the day. We started this from the top so it was all downhill for lunch in San Roco.
Euro07_67.jpg

Lets thank Paul B for all the photos
Euro07_69.jpg

Pass 3 Stelvio Pass 2760m
Euro07_71.jpg

The Stelvio is hard work, especially if your trying to chase down a 990KTM adv. All credit to the rider but those things don’t half shift and look incredibly nimble.. It’s all stop start 1st gear corners but worth it to get ripped off for the most expensive cap badge in the World once you’ve got to the top.
Euro07_73.jpg

Pass 4 Timmelsjoch Pass 2509m
Euro07_76.jpg

This was the most rewarding pass but unforgettable for one of the lowest points of the trip.
Never been up here before but truly loved it. This road flows so much better than the Stelvio, long bends that follow the contour of the mountain with corners that link and flow.
Euro07_77.jpg

Got to the top of here at 19:30 everything was shut and it was getting a bit nippy so decided to put on a jumper. Took of the one piece Spidi Admiral suit, comes to put it back on again and the single collar to ankle zip failed. Took us the best part of an hour to get the zip to work lubing it up with olive oil and inching the zipper along bit by bit. This became the norm for the rest of the trip spending 40 mins each day to get the thing fastened then staying in it all day for fear of the zip failing again if I got out. (the suits back with Spidi being checked).
Euro07_81.jpg

Euro07_82.jpg

The pass was actually closed – barriers across the road - by the time we descended. We crashed these coz there was no way we we’re going back.
True to form we rolled in to Garmisch about 22:00 tent up and straight to the beer tent for a Steiner or two.
Euro07_84.jpg

Day 4
Garmisch – Heidelburg (Via Lichtenstein)
270 miles
Got the T-shirt time to leave.
Euro07_85.jpg

Euro07_87.jpg

Who wants a set of these
Euro07_88.jpg

Euro07_89.jpg

After a leisurely camp breakfast we were off. This was a lazy day in the saddle, with us looking forward to a nice hotel and comfy bed for our last night on the continent.
Heidelberg is a fantastic place, what a party town. Forgot to eat, lost my camera (the other low point of the trip), fell over – standard operational procedure then.

Day 5
Heidelberg – Home (Maidenhead)
525 miles
So nothing like making it easy for ourselves. 500 miles with a cloudy head.
The trip to Calais was uneventful and passed without problem.
Euro07_90.jpg

But what a welcome home to find traffic jams on the M20, M26 and M25 and all at tea time on a Sunday. Filtered over 80 miles to junction 10 (Chertsey) on the M25 by which time we’d had enough. So blasted the last few miles across country via Ascot.

What a grand trip.
5 days.
2300 miles
10 countries:- England, France, Monaco, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Lichtenstein, Netherlands and Belgium. (Could have got San Remo and Luxemburg, Hey ho. We’ll save them for next year).

Time of your live hey kid.
Attached Images

Attachments

• Euromap.jpg
    Euromap.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 617
Awesome photos, looks a better choice than the same old thing year in year out.

Regards
SF

Top report Uncle Al :thumb2

Were you walking like a dressage pony in Heidelberg ;)

:beerjug:

Great report, it's a real pity there wasn't a meeting point for all the UKGSers that made it, sounds like there was quite a few and would have liked to say hello:thumb

Great report, it's a real pity there wasn't a meeting point for all the UKGSers that made it, sounds like there was quite a few and would have liked to say hello:thumb

Looks like they were camped about 50 metres from us Ned......ye what a shame!

Great report and great photos :thumb2

This one reminded me of you finding your tent in Glen Clova :D

Euro07_15.jpg

The Thursday on the med.. was that the same thursday we had 4 hours of Rain and wind between Baden Baden and Garmisch ? :)

Looks like you were on a different planet!

Nice photos :thumb2

The difference either side of the alps last week was amazing, we rode from Geneve where it was pouring with rain and about 16 deg over the St Bernard pass snowing and 3 deg down to Aosta where it was 33 deg and blazing sunshine.

I'm in your photo!!!

Thats me in the photo at the top of stelvio. I'm about to cross the road infront of the KTM and the other bike.

What a great report Uncle Alan , i felt like i was with you, . Just like a World of BMW tour :D .

Now thats the way to do Garmish. :thumb

Role on Instanbul :augie

Back
Top Bottom