How to download files ?

manofgresley

Hi Out there.

I'm a bit of a Techno Luddite, i've just Purchased a Garmin Zumo 550, looks the dogs, when i connect the unit to my PC it appears in Windows Explorer as "Garmin" Click on this and several folders appear, which folder do i download the waypoint files to, that i can get on this forum ? :confused:

Just use MapSource. It will put things in the right place.

Yes, you can fiddle with the internal files of your zumo.
I will not be the one helping you to rebuild it.

Hi Out there.

I'm a bit of a Techno Luddite, i've just Purchased a Garmin Zumo 550, looks the dogs, when i connect the unit to my PC it appears in Windows Explorer as "Garmin" Click on this and several folders appear, which folder do i download the waypoint files to, that i can get on this forum ? :confused:

I, like you, am a complete PC eeedjit.

I guess what you are asking is how you transfer a route file from this site onto your Zumo. Something like this: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112301 #2

Simply click on the link in thread #2. You will see a folder. Click on the folder. You may well get a message saying, Do you want to open this folder. Hit the Yes button.

In it is a Garmin file. Click on it. You may well get a message saying, Do you want to open this file. Hit the Yes button.

Mapsource will open for you. You can then save the file - if you want to - (File, save or save as) and / or download it to your Zumo. Mapsource will save it to your PC in the Maopsource 'area' sorry I don't know the right word, or you can chose where to file it, just like any other file. You will probably be able to find later it in My Documents or by clicking on the yellow 'Open' button in Mpapsource and then working through the levels. I find it's a good idea to create little folders, with different routes in each, making it easier to find things later. For instance, I have a years, Europe and UK with them broken down in countries and areas.

I do not have a Zumo but I guess it's similar, simply click the 'Send to device' button (looks a bit like a radio with an arrow) on the top of the Mapsource screen. The programme will hunt for your Zumo (assuming you ahve connected it) and the transfer will then be very quick. You will get a message when it's complete. You will then find the route file on your Zumo. Simply touch it and it will run on your device.

Hope I got your question right. If not, sorry.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I downloaded to my PC the latest POI downloader from the GARMIN site, this programme is placed in the same folder as the waypoint files, for example, say i wish to download the position of all ASDA stores, you simply run the POI loader , connect the Sat Nav to the PC via a mini USB connection and follow the instructions, simple, yes it is, i've just tried it, worked first time.

Back
Top Bottom