rattle at 3500 rpm

roddy

Reaction score
Hi Folks

can anybody shed some light on this, my 04 1150GSA has developed a rattle from the LHS (sounds more like a loose piece of metal sheeting vibratiing about a mounting bolt) in all gears at 3500rpm it doesn't do it when in neutral and I don't feel it through the foot pegs.

If checked all crash bars and bash plate, side & centre stand, exhaust, y-piece, cylinder heads, alternator belt cover, foot pegs are secure

I checked the front forks and rear wheel (both 3-9 & 12-6 positions) for movement both okay

I was out for a scoot the other night and it did involve some slow, clutch slipping stuff, and I'm sure I could smell my clutch burning, however my mates bike same model but a 55 plate seemed to be okay with no burning smells. could I have done some damage ?

anybody any ideas, I'm a wee bit concerned it might be something terminal and about to go bang

cheers for any advice or ideas

right I've check a few other things, by running up/down the street and using a metal rod to try and localise the sound.

it's not the LHS cam chain tensioner, it sounds like it's coming from or under the tank, once the bikes cooled off I'll get the tank off and have a look see,

found it :thedummy

the adventure crash bars have fractured at the join where they meet the bike frame on the front RHS :thedummy

bugger and I also found a fractured quick release on one of the fuel lines as well.

and the real F:eek: :spitfire king pisser it's it's just out of warrenty by about 4 weeks.

what do you think of my chances of going to Motorad central and getting the bits done under warrenty :nenau

on the assumtion they laugh me out the door, I assume moto-bins or sherlocks is the best place to get the quick release connectors ? and are they any better ones out there or are the one's fitted the only choice ?

crash bars I can see along night checking the search for the best type, I know the adventure ones don't have a particularly good reputation, so any suggestions from first hand experience ?

Was going to offer some spurious advice. If it rattles at 3500 rpm, just ride it at 4000 rpm. solved.

found it :thedummy

the adventure crash bars have fractured at the join where they meet the bike frame on the front RHS :thedummy

bugger and I also found a fractured quick release on one of the fuel lines as well.

and the real F:eek: :spitfire king pisser it's it's just out of warrenty by about 4 weeks.

what do you think of my chances of going to Motorad central and getting the bits done under warrenty :nenau

on the assumtion they laugh me out the door, I assume moto-bins or sherlocks is the best place to get the quick release connectors ? and are they any better ones out there or are the one's fitted the only choice ?

crash bars I can see along night checking the search for the best type, I know the adventure ones don't have a particularly good reputation, so any suggestions from first hand experience ?

Why not ask them.
You never know;they may play ball with some good will.
What i would consider though.
Did you buy the bike through them?.
Do they do all the servicing on it?.
Are the crash bars the BWM ones fitted by BWM or the dealer and has the bike fallen on them?.
The BWM quick connects are about £14-15 per half i believe.

well I popped into Motorad Central and even though I'm out of warrenty, the engine bars wouldn't have been covered anyway,

However they offered I could buy the replacement section for cost, which I thought was a generous offer all things considered, but at £116 for that one section, I politely declined considering I can buy a complete set of H&B bars for about the same price.

So I'm going to see about getting that section that broke welded up. and maybe invest in some of Steptoes head guards ?

cheers Roddy

Back
Top Bottom