Bit of sharp practice by Garmin?

Jon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I have a 2610 with v8 and upgrade to v9.

I decide to unlock my 2nd v8 code onto a 2nd gps and keep the 2nd v9 handy.

Won't let me unlock v8, but will let me unlock v9.

I talk to someone at Garmin UK and bring this up and am told;

"We've taken v8 off the server as we didn't think it was fair to customers to allow them to purchase v8, when v9 was out".

Okay, says I, but what about people like me who've already purchased v8 some time ago and it's two unlock codes and want to make use of the 2nd unlock code I've already paid for.............

To cut a long conversation short, the answer is............."You can't"

Their system would appear to be set up so that people who already own v8 and haven't used both unlock codes can't unlock the 2nd one - it's not on their server anymore.

Cunning way of screwing you to unlock v9/make you upgrade if you haven't got it, or is it me?

Garmin have always done this.

Do you still have a second unlock code for CNE v9 ?

Hmmm, maybe. This may well not be your case, but if both V9's were upgraded from V8, then you do only have two current licences - both for V9. The V8s would have been rescinded.

Not sure if it applies to you though? :nenau

Mike

Garmin have alson discontinued the free unlock code for a second unit. Found this out when I tried to unlock v9 onto my quest as well as my 2610

Garmin have always done this.

Do you still have a second unlock code for CNE v9 ?

As I said, I used it when I couldn't unlock v8, so it would have been "yes". However, if I'd unlocked v8 before using v9, I would have had it unlocked twice and also and been able to use 2x v9 when I got it too.........

Hmmm, maybe. This may well not be your case, but if both V9's were upgraded from V8, then you do only have two current licences - both for V9. The V8s would have been rescinded.

Not sure if it applies to you though? :nenau

Mike

I struggling to see see how they can rescind a licence for a product you've bought and paid for..........

The way this is reading to me is, if I was to buy v9, use 1 unlock, then buy v10 when it comes out (ie not a free upgrade), I automatically lose half of what I've paid for...........

How it works is,well in my case anyway was:
I bought a Quest with CS v6 after cnv8 had been released so was entitled to a free update which I installed....I then went to use the second unlock code for csv6 on my gps map60c but could only install cnv8 as once an update has been performed on the first unit it cancells out the old version but only for the second unit.(I can use v6 or v8 in the Quest) One would not normally loose out by this proceedure as you get the second unit unlocked with the new maps but in my case I wanted the smaller maptiles from v6 on the second unit which has a smaller memory.

Dave

Tile sizes

Here's a comparison of coverage of the UK (incl Shetlands)

CS V6 124 Maps, 156.6 Megabytes
CN V8 19 Maps, 173.4 Megabytes
CN V9 54 Maps, 194.2 Megabytes

Here's a comparison of coverage of the UK (incl Shetlands)

CS V6 124 Maps, 156.6 Megabytes
CN V8 19 Maps, 173.4 Megabytes
CN V9 54 Maps, 194.2 Megabytes

Smaller but not realy small enough.

Thanks for the info,

Dave

Back
Top Bottom