Road Angel Adventurer?

REM

Reaction score
Does anyone have any expereince of the Road Angel Adventurer dual purpose GPS - street navigation plus off road navigation? IS it actuallly waterproof and rugged enough for motorcycle use. Any ideas as to what mounting options there might be?

Any info greately appreciated - thanks

Hadn't even heard of it :nenau

Here it is though :)

instant reaction....wouldn't touch it with a barge pole ;)

1) I've had dealings with Road angel over several years, originally professional then as a customer.....I wouldn't have any ever again by choice.

2) It ain't a Garmin.....and they have consistently been the best....backup, design, resilience, features..you name it, Garmin are always there at the front or thereabouts.

3) I hope I'm wrong...the more there are in the market, the cheaper they'll be and the faster it'll all develop...that's good for us.....

Still wouldn't touch them with a barge pole though ;)

Hadn't even heard of it :nenau

Here it is though :)

instant reaction....wouldn't touch it with a barge pole ;)

1) I've had dealings with Road angel over several years, originally professional then as a customer.....I wouldn't have any ever again by choice.

2) It ain't a Garmin.....and they have consistently been the best....backup, design, resilience, features..you name it, Garmin are always there at the front or thereabouts.

3) I hope I'm wrong...the more there are in the market, the cheaper they'll be and the faster it'll all develop...that's good for us.....

Still wouldn't touch them with a barge pole though ;)

Fanum - Thanks for that forthright review of Road Angel. Interestingly the only references to the so called Adventurer are to be found on third party web sites - Memory Map seems to be the partner/promoter.

That aside does Garmin do a combined road and off-road device? Cant readily identify one from their web site. Road Angel does the Adventurer and Magellan does the Crossover (UK topo maps dont seem so good though) so where does that leave Garmin - not exactly at the forefront IMHO?

It would be a brave (mad?) person to buy a Road Angel with just Fanum's review - anyone have any encouragement at all? Although my initial enthusiasm is dampened I am not totally put off yet! But thanks Fanum if I do proceed it will be with considerable caution.

I had a Road Angel Navigator for my car which I have since replaced with a Zumo 550 the only reason being that the Zumo is Bike and car mountable.
So far I would say that the basic routing for 'road' travel is somewhat better on the Road Angel, by wich I mean if you want to go from A to B with no fuss and no waypoints the R/Angel will take you there keeping to M-ways and A roads. I have found the Zumo prefers to take you the shortest way regardless of what you ask it to do, I have found this out by using it on routes that I know well with the unit intructed to use the fastest route and not the shortest and then Vice versa. I haven't yet sat down and uploaded a route into the Zumo which I do know will overcome that. The Road Angel speed camera data base is excellent , and the units give a much clearer warning on approach to the camera sites.
The Zumo is by far and away a better made product than any of the Road Angels I've seen for motorcycle and off road use, and Garmin don't rip you off with the price of their maps, and are more user friendly with more functions, my Road Angel (£350) two years ago came with UK only and it was another £150 for european map, and it could be a pain in the proverbial trying to enter some destinations.

Edit
Always found the Road Angel support team to be pretty good, not an 0800 number but not an 0870 or 0845 either.

.... routing for 'road' travel is somewhat better on the Road Angel,.... The Road Angel speed camera data base is excellent , and the units give a much clearer warning on approach to the camera sites.
....it was another £150 for european map

So it sounds as though it is an OK routing device if you want to use it in the UK - expensive if you want to go elsewhere.

From what RAM-MAN is saying it can be mounted onto a bike but with some drilling.

Has anyone actually used one on a bike to test its ruggedness and weatherproofing?

I bought a Navigator 7000 from a reseller on eBay about 6 months ago. I've fitted it to the bike handlebars by cutting down a spare car mounting cradle. I used it for a trip around Europe this summer, including some attrocious weather in northern Spain, and it performed perfectly. It is marketed as being waterproof.
By regularly linking to the Road Angel website, the unit is updated to warn of fixed and mobile speed camera locations.
The included routable mapping is by Tele-Atlas and covers the UK only. European mapping (inc. the East) is available for about £100, I think.
The other side of the device uses Memory-Map OS maps. This is excellent for trail riding as it shows field boundaries, streams, contour lines, rights-of-way etc. Just what is needed to explain to the bobble-hats that you are in fact on a vehicular right-of-way.
Memory-Map also produce a digitised Philips road atlas of Europe. I used this for my trip to the HU Portugal meet and the HUMM in preference to the Tele-Atlas mapping. This, like the OS mapping, shows landmarks that the T.A maps do not. I think that the official prices may be a bit steep, but as always, there are bargains to be found on eBay.
It's not so user friendly as most others when on the bike as some data has to be input using a small stylus or a pen. But this is only usually during set-up for the day, after that the map just scrolls as I ride.
Shortly after buying this, I came across a 60CX on eBay for the right money. It is still in its box.
I'm not sure that 3rd party maps of eg, Morocco by Smellybiker & others would work with this unit, which may mean using the 60CX afterall.
It comes with a music player and photo viewer, so I use a 2gb card, rather than the smaller original.
I phoned Road Angel twice before buying, and both times the phone was answered almost instantly. Compare that to some others.......

So it sounds as though it is an OK routing device if you want to use it in the UK - expensive if you want to go elsewhere.

From what RAM-MAN is saying it can be mounted onto a bike but with some drilling.

Has anyone actually used one on a bike to test its ruggedness and weatherproofing?

I bought one on EBAY and then purchased a bicycle mount for it later, whis is permanently fastened to me handle bars. The cradle can be left on the bike, or detached with the unit itself. I have hardwired to the battery, with a switch to turn off the LED in the power reg unit...works well...:thumb

I'm hoping to have some OS maps of France by the time I leave for Europe next week...they are a very slow download, and very large amount of Data...about 2000% larger than complete UK MM set!

Not got the Euro road altlas thing yet...expensive at £99, but looking for a downlaod...anyone got one :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom