New Garmin Rino with Micro SD card

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ooooooo...shiny shiny new toys!!! :cool:

I've just been on to a chap in Merica to order a pair of Garmin Rinos......and they have a new model out that might be really useful for us tossers :)

The old ones (520, 530 etc) had a rather limited internal only memory......56mb in fact.
That's more than enough to hold Morocco Topo maps and local maps for at home, but certainly no good for a European tour.

The new ones (ending HCx) have a micro Sd card slot....and a 2gb sandisk card with a reader is £14 :D

So for less than the price of a Quest, you get a fully routable GPS with all the trimmings.....
(the ones you need I mean, not silly MP3 players or bluetooth rubbish that doesn't work :rolleyes: ) plus you get a very powerful walkie talky with VOX function etc..highly illegal (and probably irresponsible as it may interfere with existing users) to use in the UK and Europe, but a very good walkie talkie none the less....14 miles on the flat will do us nicely in Morocco :thumb

The Rinos come with American mapping but if you get a second device unlock code, you can use your existing CN or whatever software....I'm about to call Garmin UK to make sure I can get one then I'm going to order a pair of 520HCX's I think :)

(The 530HCx has a digital compass and altimeter, but the HCX models have high sensitivity GPS sensors anyway so the altitude is likely to be pretty spot on, and a digital compass is only of use if you can't move a few metres to establish your direction, so I'm going for the 520model)

cf-lg.jpg

RINO SERIES LINKY

Ooooooooo don't know what I'd use it for but I want one! :D

It's waterproof so you could use it in the bath .

It has a vibrate function too :)

Plus you'll be one of the first kids on the block to have a SIRF III Gps unit ;)

Will it send your exact location via the magic of wireless radio waves to someone else with another one of these?

Will it send your exact location via the magic of wireless radio waves to someone else with another one of these?

Yes......(but it's going to be seriously illegal to use on of these in the UK.)

Find Your Friends
Like the rest of the Rino series, Rino 530HCx offers a unique Position Reporting feature. Position Reporting lets you send your exact location to other Rino users in your group so that everyone can see your position on the map page. And, because Rino is a standard FRS/GMRS radio, you can use it to communicate with any other conventional FRS/GMRS radio around.

Yep....that's eggzakkerly what it does ...I believe you can have up to 50 other Rino users in your 'group' and it'll poll them so you can effectively track their exact movements. They can have a lesser spec rino and it works:)

It's also got a 10,000 point tracklog, holds 50 routes, 20 tracks. 500 WP's and full auto routing just like any other GPS....battery life 14 hours so a full day's riding no problem.

They claim 14 mile range for the communication :thumb2

There is a 530 unit, the only difference is a digi compass and altimeter...but with the SirfIII chips you won't need either as far as I can see...you only have to move a few feet and it'll show you which direction you're moving in :)

Just found this......
What are the American FRS / GMRS frequencies?

FRS has 14 channels, numbered 1-14 below. GMRS uses the same channels as FRS 1-7, and then adds a further 7 channels numbered 15-22 below. There are many "combination" FRS/GMRS walkie-talkies on the market that have all 22 of the channels listed below.

1. 462.5625
2. 462.5875
3. 462.6125
4. 462.6375
5. 462.6625
6. 462.6875
7. 462.7125
8. 467.5625
9. 467.5875
10. 467.6125
11. 467.6375
12. 467.6625
13. 467.6875
14. 467.7125
15. 462.550
16. 462.575
17. 462.600
18. 462.625
19. 462.650
20. 462.675
21. 462.700
22. 462.725

If I used American FRS / GMRS radios in the UK, who might I interfere with?

In many cases, given the short range of walkie-talkies, you may not interfere with anyone. But: the 462MHz FRS channels 1-7 are used for some emergency service radios, and interefering with these is very illegal and potentially dangerous.

The higher FRS / GMRS channels on 467MHz are used by licensed private users such as TV outside broadcasts, special event organisers etc. They They will have paid for the right to use those channels and could complain if they get interference.

*Gulp*

Well I've just ordered two of these from Ebay- total price inc shipping £513, plus I'm getting a couple of copies of the latest Europe Metroguides as well, and a UK TOPO DVD which will be very handy for greenlaning over here.

Seems to me that at £235 +£25 shipping for one unit, it's a very good unit, even if you don't use the Vox walkie talkie (Illegal over here)....it's a SIRF III chipped unit (so it's fast and has a good satellite lock capability) it's fully routable, has excellent tracklog functions and it's totally waterproof (IP7)

With two of them, for use abroad with the (up to) 14 mile range and the function to find another user, I reckon they're perfect for what I need.:thumb2

I'll post up when I receive them and have had a play :)

having just bought a similar GPSmap60Csx i've been delving into map solutions myself.

garmin will give me a second unlock code for my CN v8, but not for v9 when it appears. i have to pay for 2 upgrades :(

a kind chap from this forum (roddy) has been bringing me up to speed on frigging metroguide to route on the gps with metrowizz. so that's another option :)

check it out here also tells you how to put a euro basemap on a merkin unit.

just need the gps delivered now. getting all exited :bounce1

You’ll get Metroguide with routing on to your GPS much easier with Metrowizz Gold, for the little it costs.

However, the frequencies on which they operate are allocated to maritime use.....

http://popularwireless.com/gmrs575.html

Agree, AFAIK .. both Rino newer and original are illegal to use in UK, so neither are offered by Garmin Europe to UK resellers.

FWIW and just in case you want to mount on the bike, look at RAM-HOL-GA20 cradle and *not* RAM-HOL-GA8 as its not suitable.

Back
Top Bottom