data card

They are unique to Garmin. A dealer will charge you loads of £££s

Try ebay.

Greg

I believe they are about half the price in the USA, if you know anyone going there - do a Google search. Why do you want a second card? - just curious.....

Mike:)

and why not?

on my last tour we went through ireland ,scotland, wales, england, france, switizerland, italy, corsica, sardinia.

generally the destination is not fully decided and i would like to cover myslef for most possibilities.
last year the tour included ; ireland, scotland, wales , england , holland, germany, austria, slovenia, croatia, bosnia, italy, switizerland, france.
rarley do we return the way we came.

In fairness i did find the 128 meg card very commodious. It did hold quite a lot of countryside. but i would like more. a 256 mb card would be good.

Re: 2nd card

roadrider said:
2nd card Why?

Because one is not enough if you want to do a PROPER tour down through France and into Spain and doing a good circuit and coming back a different way when using City Navigator mapping.

I did see an alternative and cheaper card at www.adventure-motorcycling.co.uk/products/?category=2 recently £109.95 against £125 for the Garmin card.
Cycoactive in the USA list a 128MB card at $189. So not a lot of difference.

Home made card

One of the list members was looking into opening up the original card (a cheap 8Meg one), and replacing the memory chip which was a Samsung chip available relatively cheaply. How did you get on with it as it could save us pounds and make you pounds...!!;)

AndyT:cool:

Re: Home made card

AndyT said:
One of the list members was looking into opening up the original card (a cheap 8Meg one), and replacing the memory chip which was a Samsung chip available relatively cheaply. How did you get on with it as it could save us pounds and make you pounds...!!;)

AndyT:cool:

Saw a web site many months ago which doubled the memory on the cards but think they used the Samsung chip and did not go above 64mb doubling - assume all they do was split the card and replace the chip.

Mike O said:
I believe they are about half the price in the USA, if you know anyone going there - do a Google search. Why do you want a second card? - just curious.....

I went to Graz in Austria earlier in the year. The outward route and the return route were via different cities in Germany.

Even just loading the tiles for the route corridors, I couldn't get it all onto 128Mb. A second card would have been useful.

Nb I bought a new CF 128Mb card last week for £17.99 from the Digital Depot in Stevenage. Perhaps CF is a good reason for looking at the 2610!

Greg

I cut the Gordian knot on the memory problem & took my laptop with me - allows you to re-plan on the hoof, keep your journal, download digi-pics etc. Works for me.

Even if you buy the new kit, the lack of batteries means that you'll have to sit out on your bike to do the re-calc etc (I guess it'll only be a matter of time before someone produces a mains power cable for it...). I'm not 'anti' the 2610, just 'pro' the SPIII - it's got weaknesses, but generally it's done exactly what I have wanted it to do over the past year and 25k miles.

Back
Top Bottom