Quest 'v' Street Pilot 3

macvisual

Hi

I'm about to buy a Garmin Sat Nav. Need your knowledge/help please! Is the Garmin Quest better or worse than a Garmin Street Pilot 3..? It will mainly be used on my motorcycle. :confused:

Thanks in advance...

Garmin Quest?

Regards the Quest which you state is the one to go for, can the Quest be loaded with version 9 (the most up to date map)? A new Garmin Quest can be bought for £189, any good?

Thanks v.much! :thumb

Regards the Quest which you state is the one to go for, can the Quest be loaded with version 9 (the most up to date map)? A new Garmin Quest can be bought for £189, any good?
GPSW has them for £179 but currently showing as out of stock, might be worth giving them a ring though. They do several bundle deals including the RAM mounting hardware and power/audio out options, see the links on the page above.

Should come with City Nav. v9, if not you'll qualify for an FOC upgrade if buying new or factory re-con.

Thanks Bumpkin! Is a new Quest better than going for a s/hand Street Pilot 3 would you know? A s/hand Street Pilot 3 is around £135 ish...
I'm not up to date with Garmin models....sorry.

Regards

Is a new Quest better than going for a s/hand Street Pilot 3 would you know? A s/hand Street Pilot 3 is around £135 ish... I'm not up to date with Garmin models....sorry.
Why consider an SPIII when you can buy an used Garmin StreetPilot 2610 for just over £100. :thumb2

Over the last 3 years I've had both and although the SPIII was very good, my current 2610 is excellent.

The SP3 is old technology so even though the price may be attractive you would be better served by paying the extra and getting a Quest 1 (NOT a Quest 2 which is more expensive anyway) or perhaps a secondhand 2610.

A mate of mine bought one of the last SP3's and whilst he was initially happy with it he has since sold it on as he found it slow to update.

I've had a Quest 1 and thought it was very good indeed & would recommend one to anyone.

Personally, after a nasty experience with a couple of Quest 2's I now use a 2610 which I think is great :thumb2

In case you hadn't realised: The big advantage of the 2610 over the Quest is that it has removable/user upgradeable memory in the form of Compact Flash. Large CF cards are dirt cheap now which enables you to fit the whole of Europe onto a 2GB card. It's screen is bigger and I think its processor a little more powerful but other than that there's not a great deal in it.

The European model of the Quest 1 has 256MB of internal memory which is soldered to the main board, this is definitely not upgradeable in any way (the American version of the Quest 1 only has 128MB so be cautious if buying used). Of the 256MB 243MB is available for you to upload mapping data to, this will comfortably fit the whole of the UK and a chunk of the North French coast. When touring abroad you will need to load suitable mapping for your trip from your PC overwriting your UK mapping which you will then need to reload on your return. Due to limited and fixed memory ambitious tours on the continent may see you not having enough space to load all of your trip to the Quest. You can do Spain and back but any circular tour, say getting there by the west coast of France and then back via Austria will be too much.

I have a Quest and am more that happy with it (purchased on eBay for £130 over a year ago). With a young family, busy job and next to no disposable income my prospects of big Euro touring are limited to nowt so it suits my purposes very well.

Thanks to Bumkins assistance I have now purchased a new Quest1 - there was another place selling them for £175 but not sure if it has V8 or V9

I paid £179 post free + £49 for a garmin mount.

So far I am impressed, the picture view of the maping is a bit basic compared to top line car satnav but it still finds the way just as effectively.

Having buttons instead of a touch screen make operation easier in my opinion.

No post code search is not as bad as expected, takes a little longer but much - if you are in one area for a day it remembers this and speeds up the searching.

Loaded all of UK and Ireland plus fringes of france - took around 200Mb of the 256. Not tried it but you can just load the mapping around a route to extend coverage.

PC based software is inspiring when making a tour route.

Glad you're happy with your purchase squid, assume you got it from GPSW? :)

the picture view of the maping is a bit basic compared to top line car satnav but it still finds the way just as effectively.
The 2610 has the same 'top down' view, albeit a bit bigger, whereas later models such as the 2720, 2810 and Zumo range have the option of 'top down' or 'pseudo 3D' but then you're paying considerably more for those. In essence it does the same job but just presents it slightly differently.

but not sure if it has V8 or V9
Check which version you have. If it's version 8 and you bought it new, you may be entitled to a free upgrade to version 9. Garmin UK can advise if you ring them (be patient, can take a while but they're very helpful).

Garmin Quest/SP3...

Hey guys

Your info is very helpful, really appreciate your opions... I will now probably look for a s/hand Garmin 2610. Thank you. :)

Best wishes

Macvisual - Ireland

Why consider an SPIII when you can buy an used Garmin StreetPilot 2610 for just over £100.
I can see the reason why that unit went for such a low price. Judging by what's included and the sellers response to questions I would steer well clear. To my eye it looks like stolen property, not saying that it is but given the indicators I wouldn't be bidding. 2610s with all the kit that came in the box (you need those vital unlock codes) currently seem to sell for £150 and above.

Hi

I'm about to buy a Garmin Sat Nav. Need your knowledge/help please! Is the Garmin Quest better or worse than a Garmin Street Pilot 3..? It will mainly be used on my motorcycle. :confused:

Thanks in advance...

Ive had a Quest for sometime now and find its versatility unquestionable.
Its been used in hire cars, on foot in south london on my Caponord and finally on my GSA.
It goes with out saying it would be a Quest 2 if i had to replace it which is the upgraded version.

It goes with out saying it would be a Quest 2 if i had to replace it which is the upgraded version.
I'd put my tin hat on if I were you, and stand by for any 'incoming.' :mcgun The Quest 2 has dissapointed many GSers. Try a search if you don't believe me.

Seriously, though, the Quest 1 is a brilliant bit of kit, one that I use a lot even though I also own a 2610. But I wouldn't buy a Quest 2 ;)

in my veiw, a zumo, is such a big advance on the quest, if you can afford the zumo, buy that, if not then the quest is a great unit, but not as good as the 2610:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom