Yamaha 660SZR Tenere'

Kenny

Trustworthy Scouser AND
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Toxteth scouser, made good ..now hiding on the W
Ok...need a little advice re my new toy which I pick up tomorrow...
Yamaha 660szr Tenere'

Usually service the bikes myself..so just need a general pointer ( or website ) as to service requirements etc etc

Anyone able to help ?

11,500 miles on the clock..P reg :)

Not seen one on this site before !!

What is it you have?
SZR 660 is a single sports bike
Tenere 660 is a single trail bike

Thanks Harry..it is a XTZ660 tenere' not a SZR like he said :rolleyes: My apologies.

Just been googling away and noticed the difference ( never even heard of a SZR before ). Guess quick call to Carole Nash in the morning ( they're going to be impressed eh? :() to get cover note changed !!!

i had an MZ baghira which had the same lump in it. Halfords sell oil filters and spark plugs for them, doing the tappets (screw and locknut) is a nightmare as there are 5 of them and the radiators get in the way of the front ones. however mine never moved in 23000 miles. I'm trying to remember the clearances but cant.... 0.1mm rings a bell

There is no Haynes manual so your stuck with tracking down a workshop manual.

Most done today, just oil and filter etc to do tomorrow. So, an oil drain plug at the base of the engine..and a frame oil drain plug right in the front. Any gauze filter anywhere I should know of? Is oil checked about 2 mins after switching off?

Other than the above, she just needs a new air filter.

Oh...do I remove the forks and turn 'em upside down to drain oil...and if anyone knows how much goes back in ?

Thanks guys

I will visit Eblag for the CD !!

On the MZ you removed a bolt in the bottom of the frame down tube which had a mesh filter and a union to the return from the gearbox. The other end of this tube had to be unbolted from the gearbox as well as a drain plug on the gear box (all of this was on the nearside). You were also supposed to bleed the oil filter housing. there is a small screw just above the cover. the MZ manual advises slowly unscrewing it until air then oil came out. In reality as soon as you were down to the last thread the considerable oil pressure blew the screw out and sprayed oil everywhere.... I always did it though as an airlock in the oil filter housing could cause a problem

I had the Super Tenere version in early 90's. Done me good going up and down motorway every day. B'ham to Manchester. 90 miles each way. Used to cost me £7 a day petrol then.Big tank on iot there was. Did that journey for about 6 months just to keep a job.

Only trouble I had with it was a busted chain doing about 60.

Pat

Thanks guys for the advice...she is a cracking bike and spent all today servicing her ( just awaiting a new air filter ). Genuine Yamaha oil filter only £6. Put 3.2 litres of 10/40 oil in..hope that is the right amount !!
Brakes bled etc etc...just fork oil ( my knees gave out :eek ) and the valves ( at a later date ) to do.
Runs really well now..oh and increased the 10 lbs psi to 28 and 30 rear :rolleyes:

Library pic of my bike

PS Nipped outside to bleed the oil filter chamber..all OK :thumb

Attachments

• XTZ_660-97-farb-gr.jpg
    XTZ_660-97-farb-gr.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 243
I had a brand spanking, and faster coloured one, when they first came out. Stonking bike, unlike my choice of clothing :augie AND when I had hair :eek:

Attachments

• Picture 091 (Small).jpg
    Picture 091 (Small).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 193
Nice one Noddy...hey, I'm still dressing like that !!!:D

PS...That model had a...erm...what are they called...er....oh that's it....that model had a thing called a KICK START didn't it?:D I've got the womans version.....with a little red push button !!

Back
Top Bottom