Another forum incomer!

Obadiah

Hello All,

Just a few lines to introduce meself. I've been a biker for over 40 years now ( :rob Jesus, where does the time go?) and owned a fair selection including old Brit iron, Italian twins and Japans finest.
Some years ago I became bored with the endless quest for speed that seems to dominate biking these days and the Gixer 1100 went. That bike was actually boring at 125mph and felt like you could light a tab up and read a book at that speed. I tried Guzzis, great bikes but flawed, then the latest Aprilias, which are incredible motors, with some character, but again chasing the speed thing. Somewhere along the line I've lost the buzz that biking used to give and gained a very sore ar*e from all those skinny seats.

Hours of net searching, talking to others and magazine articles has led me to believe the GS, may well fill the void ! I'm actively looking for one right now, which leads me on to a few questions, that you may be able to help with.

I'm really looking for an 1100 or an 1150. The early 12's, which are the only ones I could afford, are too suspect from all I've heard and really put me off.
What about the 850's out there? Are they worthwhile - do they come near? I've seen a few for sale, but the book suggests they're near 1100/1150 levels.

Something else that has struck me, is during recent searching, I've seen a number of private sellers asking what seems to be inflated prices. Usually way over book price ( Parkers and the Green book). In many cases, private prices (with no come back at all) are more than dealer prices, where you at least have some sort of come back and usually a warranty of some sort. I've not seen this so much, with any other make. Any suggestions why that would be? I know some have a lot of aftermarket gear, but that doesnt justify the sort of prices I've seen, and it doesn't work with most other bikes or cars.

Anyway - hello once again and is anyone out there selling? Preferably with luggage?

Hello Mother.

Hiya fella :thumb2

What about the 850's out there? Are they worthwhile - do they come near? .

There`s not too many of them here because there was no Insurance benefit in having an 850 compared to an 1100 but they have a loyal following and from what I`ve heard they`re very sweet and nicely balanced bikes to ride.

.Something else that has struck me, is during recent searching, I've seen a number of private sellers asking what seems to be inflated prices. Usually way over book price ( Parkers and the Green book). In many cases, private prices (with no come back at all) are more than dealer prices, where you at least have some sort of come back and usually a warranty of some sort. I've not seen this so much, with any other make. Any suggestions why that would be? I know some have a lot of aftermarket gear, but that doesnt justify the sort of prices I've seen, and it doesn't work with most other bikes or cars.

Don`t confuse book price with street price.

The book price means feck all if a bike is highly sought after.

Welcome to the site feller.
Most folk have come to the same conlusion as you as to the type of riding you do everyday.Some sooner,some later.
The 850s are relatively rare (same costs and only 70bhp).
Too many of the 1200s have "issues" shall we say.
Of the 1100,the best ones are the 98/99 year models.
There are plenty of 1150s around and at sensible prices.
Easy to service yourself and a good supply of 2nd hand bits.Avoid nasty servo brakes though IMO.

Back
Top Bottom