Mapsource Europe V9

mickskelly

new to this...

I got a garmin mapsource with streetpilot III colourmap the other day.

I installed Europe V6 and want to get the latest version. I downloaded Europe V9 tried to unlock it I think I've done it, but now it's asking me for an extra $75.00 + Vat. Is that right, do we have to pay for each update to the maps ? Also if I did pay the money for it, do I have to unlock these maps again (and pay more) when coping them to my gps?

On an aside: There is a ridiculous amount of codes and bullshit that has to be put into the software and on the garmin website to get this to work. I'm a computer programmer and this is the trickiest software I've ever had to setup and that's only the installation I haven't even gotten to use it yet... unit serial numbers/unlock codes/registration codes/a master something-or-other code/a personal reg code (that was suppost to be emailed to me but wasn't).

ps: just got a 1150 gsa '05 a few weeks ago. And got the touratech bracket to mount the gps to the bars. Is there an adapter I can buy to get the gps to power off the bike ?

Totaly unsure. But maybe you need to have V7 V8 before you can use V9. I don't mean you have to pay to unlock them but that they should be installed. As its an update.

Agree about Garmin being a PITA btw. I have V7 which is just about bearable here in the South West. V9 would be much better. But I will buy a new GPS one day rather than pay for the updates.

Good Luck.

v6 to v9 on my Quest this week, straight through.........
Just need the unlock codes for v9 and you're away

$75 if you're not entitled to a free upgrade, luckily I was:D

Just needed Judge to walk me through as a GPS noob:augie

You do have to pay for the updates, you only get a free update once after you've registered your new unit for the first time and then only if a new version has been released just before/after you 'bought' your GPSR.

Given your Streetpilot III is about 5 years old this is unlikely.

As to the rest of the unlocking malarkey, yes it is a PITA but you'll be amazed the lengths people will go to to avoid paying for software, Garmin are merely trying to protect themselves from the creative types. :augie

They aren't a completely fautless company but their after-sales support (call waiting times aside) is about the best I've ever experienced in a company.

As JB says you don't need to go up in incremental steps, and for me stepping up from v6-v9 was well worth the £40, plenty of map updates that was making the v6 seem old.

Hi Andy,

Now that is very interesting news. Any how I would like to get V9 simply as its much better in Ireland than previous versions. Maybe one of these days I will give it a go. So far I am using V7 with the second unlock code of a friends 2610. I don't suppose that that makes any difference. And does your 40£ get you one or two unlocks as maybe I could repay the favour, as it were. PS have you been over this year?

What is the tile size of Southern Ireland????

I bought a Zumo and it has V8 installed, can I get V9 for free? I was told Garmin have changed their update policy and you no longer get a free map update, if so it's really taking the piss as I've only had the Zumo a few weeeks. In fact I haven't registered it yet so maybe I can register it now and get a free update:nenau

Hi Andy,

Now that is very interesting news. Any how I would like to get V9 simply as its much better in Ireland than previous versions. Maybe one of these days I will give it a go. So far I am using V7 with the second unlock code of a friends 2610. I don't suppose that that makes any difference. And does your 40£ get you one or two unlocks as maybe I could repay the favour, as it were. PS have you been over this year?

What is the tile size of Southern Ireland????

As far as I understand it each map product can be unlocked to two GPSR's. It will be your friend who orders, pays and unlocks the upgrade through their myGarmin account.

My version 6 came with my 2610 which I upgraded to v9 and unlocked for my 2610 and GPSmap60CS.

Map tiles that cover Southern Ireland (there's 8 of them, 2 trangress the border) 24.9MB

Back
Top Bottom