Friendly Speedo Needle

B Murr

Reaction score
The speedo needle on my R100GS gets a bit distracted from it's primary purpose of indicating a precise speed and gets all excited and starts waving up and down an increment of about 10kph when it reaches over speeds of about 50kph. Now I'm happy enough to live with this friendly speedo but I wonder whats it's motivation, anyone got ideas? I did do a little bit of fault finding by powering the cable with a drill set in reverse, it gave nice precise readings with the needle staying in strict obeyance. Could it be somthing in the speedo that is a bit susceptible to vibration when it gets worn? I haven't taken the bike for a run since I powered it wth the drill, so can't be sure about whether there was a loose connection which is now fixed by my undoing/redoing the connection. Has anyone had this problem and if so what is the fix???

ive got an ishomitter aswell was thinking it could be a kink in the cable but havnt got around to checking it yet :blast hope its not cogs in the meter

Top speed on my R80 g/s is 115mph, I'm not complaining!!!! Accaleration and deceleration to 75mph is immense but it's really smooth too :rolleyes:

Just a little tip. My speedometer broke where the cable fits into the plastic housing, it was beyond repair. A new speedometer was fitted, but I have now fitted a large tyerap either side of the headlamp cowl. This stiffens up the cable when turing lock to lock.

I put my 2610 on the bike, as I have a KPH speedo that does exactly the same. 200 KPH equates to 113 MPH flat out (on a rolling road :) )

You would think for £170, BMW could sort out the problem............I've never seen a jap bike do it.

Rob

I think I will just have to live with this one for a while, probably not worth the hassle of dismantling it while is still working in some vague fashion. I might try rigging up my bicycle digital computer to see what readings I get, If the middle of the oscillation on the needle is way off mark I might make the effort to get it sorted then.:thumb

...so, i'm not the only one then:D.

fwiw;
i got a loan of a GPS, fitted a bicycle speedo and calibrated it using the GPS.
very accurate up to at least 120kmh. far more actual use than the madly fluttering needle on the BWM unit:rolleyes:

mind you - heres an odd one - one time, just after powerwashing the bike (a rare thing) - my speedo behaved perfectly.... for about a week:confused:

theres got to be a simple cure for this - FFS - there really must be!:nenau

Back
Top Bottom