just got back 3300 miles France and Spain

hodge1150

Reaction score
Hope this doesnt bore you but I have just returned from my hols on my 2001 GS 1150 and have some recommendations for places to stay in Frogland and Northern Spain. Ive put a couple of websites at the end of this diatribe

Day 1 Trek down to Dover then Calais from Holmfirth in W Yorks. Mileage when starting 70654, then on to Alencon in Northern France stayed in decent F1 there ( 27 euros) (580 ish miles).

Day 2 Alencon - Le mans- Saumur-Poitiers-Limoges-Brive-Soillac - Gordoun and stayed at Motocamp Dordogne (for bikers and friends) this place is run by Dutch and is really friendly, camp away from the bar, it doesnt seem to close until the early hours but I would really recommend this, great swimming pool too.

Day 3 swam in pool and got pissed. People here recommended I go to another Motocamp at Lunas (near Millau).

Day 4 set off through Figeac-Rodez- over Millau bridge then first turn off to St Affrique-Camares-Fayat-le Bousquet d oro to Motocamp at Lunas (bikers only) great place incredible f****ing roads.

Day 5 swam in pool and got pissed with Dutch, Belgian loony, French loony and his girlfriend etc. Heluva good time. (92 euros for 2 nights, inc evening meals and bar bill, bargain)

Day 7 set off in Barcelona direction with plans to stay at Sitges south of Barcelona (recommended by this site)(my wife was flying out to meet me in Barcelona in a couple of days).

Day 8 Autoroute bbbboring missed Sitges and found by accident a campsite in Cunit (really) just north of Calafel. Its a family site and was full of jabbering spanish, owner put me in a quiet spot next to the bar !!!!!in the middle of the Germans at the other side of the site, 10 yards from the beach. GO THERE its great, a day later all the Germans went home and I had the place to myself (and miles of beach) just sat on beach drinking vino collapso watching bikini babes, it was hell.

Day 9 got pissed watched jiggly women:Motomartin:beer::beer:

Day 10 fetched wifey from Barcelona airport, back to campsite.

Day 11 explained wot a shit time I had had so far without her:augie:augie

Day 12 was gonna go south but too hot so popped up the coast to see friends at Loret de Mar, stayed night there

Day 13 plans to go to Pyranees were dashed by weather, bloody hell it rained, stayed in Loret d Mar.

Day 14 went to Andorra good roads C63 thro Vidreres-Angles-Olot-Ripoli then MAD F***G ROADS on N152 then up to St Juliet de Loria Hotel 56 Euros inc crap Brekky.

Day 15 was told Picos are nice so set off in general direction past Adrall on N260, great roads rained a bit so headed south on C134 from la Pobla de Segur, had a rest at Talarn (go there nice place) then, as we were tired I took a shortcut, the C1311. THIS IS THE BEST ROAD IN THE WORLD, when in area go on the C1311, remember it the C1311, got that, it doesnt look much but shit :bow:bow there is a god and he rides bikes.
then on N230 to Benobare-Barbastro-Huesca A132 to Ayerbe, right at Santa Maria de la Penga on A1205 to a campsite recommended to me by a guy in a motocamp site. Shit road to motocamping Anzanigo.
owner used to race Ducatis and there is a shrine to Ducati in the bar, if in the area GO there, great place friendly but few speak english. Be warned the cookings awful but the atmosphere is such a laff.

Day 16 toured area (if you want a scary day go to the Monasterio de la Juan de la Pena, dont do it with a hangover, roads are nuts)

Day 17 went to Riglos to look at a big rock and to Aquero to look at a bigger one

Day 18 A132 -N240 toPamplona-Vitoria-Gasteiz-Mirandade Ebro to lake town at Reinosa(great lake, bugger all in town)

Day 19 N611 to Toralevega then E70 in oviodo direction, thro San Vicente de la Barquera to a campsite in Pechon (found by accident 3 miles away) highly recommended great view of sea, you can camp, safely, on the mountainside overlooking the sea.

Day 20 chilled and got pissed

Day 21 to Panes-Riano and back in a loop round the Picos de Europa (its been said before but you HAVE to do this)

Day 22 rested (I needed it, so will you)

Day 23 looked like rain so went into San Vicente de la Barquera, hotels were expensive and (as luck would have it) we were shown to a 15th century Hermitage converted into a Hostal (31 euros a night) overlooking the bay WOW, 2 days sat on a balcony geting pissed and having our photos taken by tourists.
Day 25 back to Santander (a very nice place, dont overlook it on your quest to go inland)
Day 26 home, pissing down, cold, shit drivers 73974 miles so 3320 miles in total, used no oil. Had a great time.
Thoroughly recommend Motocamps but take earplugs and a sense of humour, find a dutch person to translate

www.campinglasarenas.com
www.anzanigo.com

Attachments

• North Spain 036.jpg
    North Spain 036.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 666
  • North Spain 352.jpg
    North Spain 352.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 660
  • North Spain 248.jpg
    North Spain 248.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 668
  • North Spain 141.jpg
    North Spain 141.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 690
good report!

thanks for that am leaving for nothern spain on Sunday have already found the C1311 on the map will Definitely check it out! :beerjug:

Good reading:thumb2
I always involve her in doors, but her indoors wont do campsites. Did you go alone?
Best colour GS too:D

Day 19 N611 to Toralevega then E70 in oviodo direction, thro San Vicente de la Barquera to a campsite in Pechon (found by accident 3 miles away) highly recommended great view of sea, you can camp, safely, on the mountainside overlooking the sea.

Day 23 looked like rain so went into San Vicente de la Barquera, hotels were expensive and (as luck would have it) we were shown to a 15th century Hermitage converted into a Hostal (31 euros a night) overlooking the bay WOW, 2 days sat on a balcony geting pissed and having our photos taken by tourists.
Day 25 back to Santander (a very nice place, dont overlook it on your quest to go inland)
www.campinglasarenas.com
www.anzanigo.com
Great write up....know that area very very well....my ex still lives there.
You missed a good road from Torrelavega to Burgos...the N-623....Did you go to Santillana del Mar?A medieval village.Did you go to Potes?Great road there too.........i want to go back on my bike.....my bloody ex is still there...sod it!

Just remembered a bloody great road into Spain past Andorra from France..the N-152 comes out over the border on the Spanish side...you gotta take the left turn before you get to the "Tunel del Cadi"which is the E-9 sign posted for Barcelona.The N-152 will take you to Olot then head south towards Vic....awfully nice

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom