HP2 v DRz ... gentleman ... place your bets, we have a challange..

mrTickle

Reaction score
Following on from last nights fun between snoopy & I, we have a challange:-

snoopys post

You shouldn't tempt me to a challenge.

Here's my thoughts:

Any off-road you want, of any level.
Route must include highways with 4hrs non-stop travelling (other than for fills).
No back-up vans or cars of any type. What you bring you carry.
Serious mud and/or bog type conditions.

Let's start a new thread - the challenge is on!

A fair challenge and I accept. Using snoopy's route criteria above maybe someone from here could set up an independent route for us to ride. We'll finally be able to see if the HP2 is really reliable enough to last a day without breaking down and if the lighter DRz is better off-road. I could be eating humble pie here!

However my money is on this challenge ending with the same result as the KTM Super Enduro 950R challenge that I did. A resounding victory to the HP2, finally silencing the KTM brigade with the cold hard truth - the HP2 kicked its arse :D. I love my HP2, yes I do :thumb2

Bring it on :thumb

Not sure who to support though; I've got a DRZ and a GS.................:nenau

Oh well, may the best bike win :clap

Andres

Obviously this will have to be points based on different categories, and two of those have to be: price & fuel economy, so I'd get points for them (let's base it on a ratio). You'd get points for power.

After that we'll time the different activities and work out a point scoring system for each one.

For the highway - the more time you stop, the more points you loose.
Off-road - quicker is better.

I'm in Newcastle and not sure where in the world you live in but I'm up for most routes (if it's not as far as lands end).

PS) I expect your bike to either break down, run out of fuel, or sink. :p

Obviously this will have to be points based on different categories, and two of those have to be: price & fuel economy, so I'd get points for them (let's base it on a ratio). You'd get points for power.

After that we'll time the different activities and work out a point scoring system for each one.

Nah, far too complicated. Just have a race between point A and point B with tricky/dirty/fast/slow stuff in between. That should do it. :aidan

I thought Snoopy's DRZ couldn't go 4 hours without falling apart and bits flying off everywhere?

Or does that only happen on the continent?

considering the things you've fecked up and broke/lost/damaged off your bike you it might have been cheaper just buying an HP2 in the first place:D

Bring it on :thumb

Not sure who to support though; I've got a DRZ and a GS.................:nenau

Oh well, may the best bike win :clap

Andres

You could always flip a coin - they're both good bikes ( truth be told I also use a 400 for my off-road fun :D )

I know some of these posts may come across and look rather competitive, but they're just a bit of fun really. It's difficult to replicate the pub environment from a keyboard ( and at 9.45am :p )

considering the things you've fecked up and broke/lost/damaged off your bike you it might have been cheaper just buying an HP2 in the first place:D

Yeah, and all are my doing - I don't just pop it into the BMW garage for a service I fix things myself. So.. :monkeypiz

PS) Might = bollocks. I've spent 3.5k total.

I'm in Newcastle and not sure where in the world you live in but I'm up for most routes (if it's not as far as lands end).

PS) I expect your bike to either break down, run out of fuel, or sink. :p

You'll have to wait until I get my front forks replaced under warranty. It's going in tomorrow :D

My pleasure.....

Using snoopy's route criteria above maybe someone from here could set up an independent route for us to ride.

This could be fun........:hide
How are you for riding on The Motorway for a couple of miles?:green gri
I'd be able to sell ringside seats for this.
T.

I thought Snoopy's DRZ couldn't go 4 hours without falling apart and bits flying off everywhere?

Or does that only happen on the continent?

That was the continental problem and it was my doing. Do not use that as your judgement.

I can do 80mph without problem and I can't see the HP2 doing any more than that off-road (I rarely go over 60 on tracks). Acceleration the DRZ is capable upto 30 'cause it's light. It's going to be tight, but my aim will be to prove that a 12k flawed "superbike" is not really much better than a simple cheap hack costing ~1/3 the price.

This could be fun........:hide
How are you for riding on The Motorway for a couple of miles?:green gri
I'd be able to sell ringside seats for this.
T.

Last month I did Calais to Algeciras in 3 days, worked out at 500mile per day. :thumb2

HP2 v DRz
WTF that about :nenau

Is this not the HP2 forum :nenau

Stuff like this

is what makes for great camera shots!
Andy, make sure you take yours so that we can see the HP2 sink in this stuff :D
I'm sure you'll find a good route where there is some :augie

Attachments

• mud.jpg
    mud.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 689
It's tempting to say i've got an Airhead that'll show the both who's the daddy however we're dealing with Mr Tickle here.

Sub 9 mins on the Ring... I've been there and got knowhere near that so that's the road ride in the bag for him
And from what i remember he's not a little guy (and Snoopy is an undernurished Northerner!) so lets review bike weight to rider weight ratio's ?

My guess is that although the DRZ is lighter as a percentage of body/strenght weight Mr Tickle will again have the advantage.

This challange needs a factor that will give Snoopy an advantage

is what makes for great camera shots!
Andy, make sure you take yours so that we can see the HP2 sink in this stuff :D
I'm sure you'll find a good route where there is some :augie

HP2s are fine in bog like conditions, honest (and trust me, it was one hell of a bog, just out of shot).

It's the rider (me) that's the problem :D

hp2small.jpg

Andres

bikes or riders

Me thinks this may turn out to be more about the Riders than the Bikes to be honest....

Will I havn't ridden with Snoopy I have ridden with MrTickle (remember the HP2 experience with Pavey in Wales? :D) a number of times (must do it again soon) and it doesn't seem to matter what he's riding it's gona take quite a bit to catch him... Good luck Snoop but my money's on the Tickle:thumb

Jarv...

P.S. the above has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I own an HP2, honest:augie

Snoopy, you've got f*ck all chance of catching an HP2 on road or off-road, the only time you'll ever get near it is in *extreme* off-road conditions where it's weight would tell in a bog.

Last weekend, Garry H did back to back comparisons up and down a huge bomb-hole between his HP2 and my X-Challenge. Garry is a brilliant rider. Both were quick but the HP2 was noticeable quicker uphill than even the 650 which is 30kg lighter.

The HP2 will do you for power wherever it's usable and it's suspension will outperform you on anything vaguely bumpy. That's what you pay your money for.

However my money is on this challenge ending with the same result as the KTM Super Enduro 950R challenge that I did. A resounding victory to the HP2, finally silencing the KTM brigade with the cold hard truth - the HP2 kicked its arse :D. I love my HP2, yes I do :thumb2

Did I miss something here? When was this and what happened? Any linky links on here?

Back
Top Bottom