How sexy is that?

Rob Farmer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just got the final version of my gearbox shimming tool back. there's something really sexy about precision made bits of kit (it's an age thing :D)

How nice is this?

Attachments

• Plate.jpg
    Plate.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,563
This is what i use....
It was a broken end cover
It doesent look sexy but it works a treat
and you know all the holes are in the correct place cuz it's made by BMW :augie

Attachments

• box3 (Medium).JPG
    box3 (Medium).JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,247
A thing of beauty, but............................

Please confirm that you left it on the kitchen table last night, and didn't take it to bed :nenau

That would be so-o-o wrong :nono

Al:clap

A thing of beauty, but............................

Please confirm that you left it on the kitchen table last night, and didn't take it to bed :nenau

That would be so-o-o wrong :nono

Al:clap

How else was a going to give it a squeeze before I went to sleep :nenau

and you know all the holes are in the correct place cuz it's made by BMW :augie

Mine was made by the guys who make the tooling and surface measurement gauging for all the major automotive companies. spot on to within half a micron apparently :p

It's a shimming plate for measuring the end float on airhead gearboxes. you can then determine the correct shims to use.
Most people just swap the bearings and use the original shims without checking the clearances.

It means you can rebuild the gearboxes properly yourself instead of having to pay a small fortune for somebody else to do it.

Here's one in action - you can almost feel the concentration, everybody is holding their breaths at this stage until the final reading is taken and the result announced, fascinating stuff. You can see how this chap became the world champion - (don't worry it's an airhead thing :D)

So.....let me get this straight...... the guy in the picture is trying to balance the tall upright thing until it stands up on its own. The person who makes it stand up the longest without falling over is the winner ............right? So its a bit like a sort Jenga for engineering nerds:p

So.....let me get this straight...... the guy in the picture is trying to balance the tall upright thing until it stands up on its own. The person who makes it stand up the longest without falling over is the winner ............right? So its a bit like a sort Jenga for engineering nerds:p

Yeah. And there's even a little handle on the side for winding it up. :)

Very much like what we're doing to Rob.
:augie

Here's one in action - you can almost feel the concentration, everybody is holding their breaths at this stage until the final reading is taken and the result announced, fascinating stuff. You can see how this chap became the world champion - (don't worry it's an airhead thing :D)

Why isn't he doing it properly and using a depth guage ??

thought that was a depth gauge? :nenau

Attachments

• Vernier_Depth_Gauge.jpg
    Vernier_Depth_Gauge.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 455
It is..and a vernier one at that...these southern boys have some funny ideas. I think Neil means why isn't he using a depth micrometer :D

It is..and a vernier one at that...these southern boys have some funny ideas. I think Neil means why isn't he using a depth micrometer :D

You had a plate made to within a micron :augie
And use that glorified ruler :bow

I would not give that room in the workshop
Use a Depth Micrometer far more accurate and easyer to use

Attachments

• b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 437

Back
Top Bottom