How can I get my 8.5yr old involved with riding off road?

Jeremy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The young lad wants to start dirt riding. Given we live in Kingston-upon-Thames which isn't known for its numbers of enduro parks, I wondered if anyone could advise on how to get him started.

Jeremy

Take up Trials Riding.......they positively encourage youngsters and most clubs have riding facilities

Slow speed = relatively safe too

The young lad wants to start dirt riding. Given we live in Kingston-upon-Thames which isn't known for its numbers of enduro parks, I wondered if anyone could advise on how to get him started.

Jeremy
There's one right next door to Tolworth Bus Garage, don't know whether your son will need an ASBO before he can use it though :nenau

Dirt riding

Get along to motocross meeting, most bike events are listed in MCN it's a good day out. Get talking to a steward organiser etc most will have a good idea of the local clubs venues etc. Canada heights at swanley is reasonably close to you and have a web site http://www.sidcupmotorcycleclub.co.uk/
They should be able to point you in the right direction motox, enduro, trials etc.:)

Thx guys. James and I are off to see Paul Butler at the British Schools Motorcross Assoc in Gloucester on Friday for a 2hr 1x1 tuition. You can imagine the grin on my son's face.

I've just brought a 125 cc trials bike used my myself and my 13 and 16 year olds, you could get an 80cc for your lad.

There's a practice ground at J20 the M25 that's not to far from you.

If you're interested in following up on the trials suggestion you might be interested in Surrey Schoolboys Trials Club http://www.surreysb.co.uk/index.html

My son learnt and competed with them and they run regular trials specifically for kids. Don't know what they are like now but well worth a contact.

Now don't you wish you started biking earlier. We had two hours with Paul Butler who leads Suzuki's Team Relentless Motocross team. Top guy and strongly recommended as a teacher.
6914.jpg

The training continues. Lessons yesterday at the Jubilee Way Motorcycle Project at Tolworth just off the A3 and a mere few miles down the road. Proper track, gear, quality instructors. More lessons booked!
6959.jpg

6960.jpg

6961.jpg

I can recommend the surrey school boys club - my son (8 years) is a newish member. cheap ralexed atmosphere and seems about a safe as a motorbike is ever going to be.
Next event on the 13th Oct (calender. I'll be there, so drop me a PM if you want to meet up. He's welcome to have a go on our PW50. I can't recall this venue, but most have plenty of room around the car park for young ones to have a go.

They also to dads and lads events, which I want to try, when my boy is a bit more self-sufficient.

My son did a hour session with the tolworth people. to be fair the usual chap was off with a broken ankle, but the lesson was utter SH*T - the instructor had no idea :spitfire.

Attachments

• J.jpg
    J.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 108
What a great thread this is ....

Those lads of yours really look as though theyre enjoying themselves :)

Top stuff, top marks to the dads :thumb2

Living our dreams through our kids. Wonder what age I can stick him in the Dakar..................

Back
Top Bottom