Suggestions for a cheap but good first dirt bike?

SpyInTheCamp

Reaction score
Looking for ideas for a lightweight dirt machine for local fun. Needs to be road legal to get there and back with a 'reasonable' tank range.

Possibly a 250. Certainly a 4 stroke.

I've done a bit of dirt stuff - did the BWM Level 1 last year - but not that much.

I'm after something 'reasonably priced', but also worth keeping for a bit and reliable too.

No money at present so I'm not looking for bikes just now. Just an idea of what to be aiming for when I come into some cash.

Any other (sensible) suggestions welcome too.

TVM

Kai

I'm no expert but having just bought my first dirt bike my criteria were;

Cheap(ish)

• 4 Stroke
  • Not tooooo big
  • Electric start
  • Reliable/common/cheap bits

Ended up with a lovely DRZ400, needing minimal work to make road legal, for just over a grand :thumb2

Having said that, wasn't there a mint(ish) TTR250 going on here for that kind of money?

Andres

DR350, even cheaper than the 400 :thumb2

The danger here being that before you know it you've got an ex-army ammo box on the back, a poncho, a big bag of pasta, some dodgy overalls and hey presto..... Mondo Enduro 2 :)

Agree, BUT.....it is also a bast*rd to start when its hot.

My vote would be the DRZ400, electric start, loads about to choose from, cheap as chips too. :thumb2

Never had any probs with my XR's (even @ Rosedale this year:augie)

You can't be man enough for a kickstart, Alan...........:D

The danger here being that before you know it you've got an ex-army ammo box on the back, a poncho, a big bag of pasta, some dodgy overalls and hey presto..... Mondo Enduro 2 :)

go the other way get an HP, forget the poncho ride naked and eat rice!

I'd go for the ttr250 is spot one not too big not too small and there's lots of bits available.

My 1st dirt bike was a DT 125...

Pish easy to kick start, weighed little more than a pushbike and when derestricted, went like stink for such a wee thing...:D

It let me make mistakes without killing myself and kept coming back for more

Best £500 I ever spent ...:D

I know you preferably want a 4 banger, but have you considered a Honda CRM 250?, i`m on my second one now (an AR model) cannot really fault them, just abuse it, wash it, and put it away, and being a Honda it requires minimal maintanence.

There is a reason why the DRZ is so popular. ;)

I'm planning to do a big post once my Safari gear arrives from AU. I will have the ultimate DRZ setup then. :thumb2

TTR250
DR350SET,V,W
Serow225
KLX250 or 300
All cheap and cheerful bikes, available for £750 to £1000-ish.:thumb2
Try to steer clear of 'enduro' bikes until you have some experience.
Electric start is a must as you will be having to pick it up and re-start it, this can be energy sapping at the best of times.

Timpo.

Harder to find around now, and its a 2-smoke, but the CRM250 is a cracking first bike with decent road manners, easy to start incl when hot and relatively reliable.

I bought a cheap chinese honda copy from these people for messing about in the dirthttp://www.playoffroad.co.uk

regards bisbee

I considered the cheap Chinese option but I am really glad that I bought a used Jap bike, an electric start KLX250 in my case.
If you are going to ride green lanes then the bike will take a lot of punishment Having a good look at one of the Chinese bikes I doubt if they would stand up to the pounding for very long and you would be left unable to tackle the more interesting trails for fear of the bike collapsing.
SpyInTheCamp Just go out and buy one you know it makes sense:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom