advice req please?

Pauly S

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We are planning next years swagger across the channel, with a visit to France, then over the hills of switzerland(stelvio pass a must do), and down to italy and on to rome and pisa.
Q. we are thinking of going on the alps at the end of may, will the snow have gone ????making all the roads nice and passable.
Family committments and a crappy job dictate the time of year when i must go.
any help most appreciated.
regards
PAul

Some are open by late May, most by mid June. I came over the Petit St Bernard in the 3rd week of June for example. Temperature was about -2C at the top but in glorious sunshine.

However, with current climate conditions who knows.

Best bet is to look at http://www.alpineroads.com/passstatus.php near your departure date and plan your route based on their predictions. The site also has links to live weather and traffic news (run them through Google's translator if the French or German is alien to you).

If you are pre-booking accommodation just make sure you have a contingency route should a snow shower block your intended route.

alps

Lovely thaks for that, ill be giving my gaucho a good test then, and my balenos and my leathers, guess ill look like michelin man.:jibberregards Paul

alps

ive been for the last three years at this time and its a gamble many of the high passes in switzerland and austria could be closed, last year i took my daughter to garmisch and it snowed for three days:blast. the french alps around grenoble could be a better bet:nenau either way hope it stays fine for ya.

Lovely thaks for that, ill be giving my gaucho a good test then, and my balenos and my leathers, guess ill look like michelin man.:jibberregards Paul

The problem I've found in the Alps is that the weather can be 30 degrees at the bottom of one side of a pass, fresher on top, then bloody freezing in the fog-filled valley on the other side. To cater for everything you'll need three different kinds of gloves, removable linings, ventilation zips, thermals and waterproofs. Or just wear your leathers and grin and bear the heat, and cold and rain... Dress like a Michelin man and you'll sweat well when the sun comes out. Layers are your friend.

The highest passes will be a bit iffy in May, though.

The Route des Grandes Alpes should be more hopeful, especially the Southern half. Look here - there's an English page.

I've been to the Alps a few times and while the high, named passes are fun and should be done if you can, there's a lot of fun to be had on other roads in the "foothills" that woudl count as serious mountains here. If the high passes are closed, just find somewhere different to go.

Black Forest roads will be open by May. If the weather forecast for the Alps looks dodgy a week before you go, you could always spend some time there then blast through the Alps using main roads and tunnels.

Wherever you go, enjoy it! :thumb

Just the job

Hi Robin, just checked out the website you gave, what can can i say??? brilliant, just what i was looking for!!!
thankyou very much
regards Paul

If you think the website's good, wait until you ride the Col de Vars, the Izoard and the Bonnette in an afternoon! :thumb

Where in Kent are you?

Hi Robin, im up near the m25 near to junction 3 , swanley.Ill have to look up those places you speak of, more homework!!!
regards
PAul

We are planning next years swagger across the channel, with a visit to France, then over the hills of switzerland(stelvio pass a must do), and down to italy and on to rome and pisa.
Q. we are thinking of going on the alps at the end of may, will the snow have gone ????making all the roads nice and passable.
Family committments and a crappy job dictate the time of year when i must go.
any help most appreciated.
regards
PAul

Paul,
a couple of hints, Get through France as quick as possible and head for Annecy and on to the French Alps, i'm just back and they are fantastic.
Don't go to Switzerland in May to the Stevlio pass for 2 reasons... firstly its in Italy just outside Bormio not Switzerland :Dand secondly it opens June 1st each year. I went a few years back in May and there were still a few passes closed but to be honest most were open. We got caught in a major snow storm outside Davos in Switzerland which was a complete white out.

You will have a ball, the Dolomites are nice in May with not to many people about.

Have Fun

AndyT:cool:

Back
Top Bottom