What do you think of the New Bike Test?

Zafira

Reaction score
Hope i get to pass my test b4 this lot comes into action....

It's Coming!
The New DSA Motorcycle Test

Riders will need to:

ü Wheel the bike backwards

ü Perform a figure of eight

ü Perform a 50Kph "at speed" corner

ü Perform a 50 Kph Swerve

ü Perform a 50 Kph Emergency breaking exercise

ü Slow riding exercise (very slow)

The New DSA practical test is looming up for 2008. Involving 50kph swerve, 50kph emergency braking and slow ride, the test has to be conducted at purpose built multi million pound test centres.
The DSA are sweeping away all the "little" test centres that bikers currently use and have opted to build a small chain of vast, tarmaced, multi-vehicle testing centres for HGV, Busses and us Bikers!

What this means is that instead of the 120 test centres serving the UK, we will have just 12 by the start of 2008 and no more than 20 by the time the test fully kicks in - that’s for the whole of the UK!.
The new test will be far longer and involve using a large tarmac area to build the bike up to a minimum of 50kph before cornering, swerving and also braking. Checks on walking the bike backwards, figures of 8, slow riding and general control are made. Candidates failing to get up to 50kph or not completing the off road manoeuvres will not be able to go onto the rest of the on-road test and will forfeit their test fee.
Sadly the introduction of the new test is not going as well as the training industry would hope for and some cities have no test centre local too them! For example Cambridge customers will currently have to commute to Ipswich on test day unless the government can find land to build a test centre.

Anticipated costs for the test are estimated to rise from the current £60 to £140 - and allow a full day with an instructor accompanying you as this is a legal requirement for 500cc DAS testing.
Our advice - book now before the law changes and prices rise. Motorcycle Rider Training Association members across the UK are stating that as of February prices will have to rise from the £700 region for a novice rider course to over £1100, in order to cope with the huge relocation costs, retraining and fees charged to trainers to provide customers with training and test. The government will require all Approved Training Bodies to either rent, purchase or otherwise provide access to 1 acre of road grade tarmac for new riders to practice their mock tests before presenting on the actual test day – as you can imagine that’s not going to be cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

The New Avoidance test or as it is sometimes known the “Moose Test” was brought in as part of European Union testing harmonisation. Non biking bureaucrats in Brussels dreamt up the idea that each nation should have its most stringent part of local testing added to a new Super Euro Test for bikers. A kind of homogenisation of each states best bits.

Scandinavian drivers can face the perils of grazing moose taking a nibble of moss or even a nap in the middle of their northernmost roads – and hence all drivers and riders are required to demonstrate the ability to dodge dozing lichen nibblers.
Somewhere along the line the thin grip on reality was lost, as Nation States agreed that all countries bikers needed this to be tested off road, and thus came up with ever increasingly delirious ways of spending our taxes.
The UK’s trump card was to scrap our local test centres that are close to where people live and work – and instead ask for £500,000,000 to build a handful of rural mega centres. We can all rest assure that the Elk, Moose and Caribou are breathing a collective sigh of relief, freed from the threat of being flattened by British bikers, straying untested in swerving ability, into their grazing grounds.

Have been trying to convince anyone who has spoken to me about going through their test to do it now. Have shown them the new test as portrayed in bike magazines and sure enough its put them off as many were thinking of doing it next year. Cant really argue as it seems proposterous that the new tests will involve all the new manouevres and will ultimately make test day and learning a whole lot more expensive as explained in previous post. In my humble opinion I do not think riders will come out of the new test any better prepared than at present for the perils that lie ahead on the open road. I mean FFS a cheaper alternative would be to have an OAP in a Volvo employed somewhere on the test route to pull out on you. Its certainly more realistic!! As with learning to drive and pass your test. You only really learn about the open road and all the obstacles and half wits in their cars once you are out there on your own once you have passed the test.
If I was learning to ride now I would much rather do the test as it presently is and be restricted to two years on a smaller bike to gain my experience. I know modern bikes are all capable of doing silly speeds but restricted bikes as at present is in my opinion a far better course of action than what is presently coming into place. This new test will put lots of people off learning to ride a bike due to cost alone.
FFS it should be car drivers that they should be more bothered about and stiffening up their test. Once read an article where it was proposed that in order to pass your car test you had to also spend a day doing CBT and road riding on a bike to enable people to be made more aware of how vulnerable bikers are on the road. Makes sense to me. But what do I know!!! Just glad it isnt me who has to do this new test.

Scandinavian drivers can face the perils of grazing moose taking a nibble of moss or even a nap in the middle of their northernmost roads – and hence all drivers and riders are required to demonstrate the ability to dodge dozing lichen nibblers.
Can come in extremely handy in Wales:thumb2

Attachments

• _1311143_sheeppa.jpg
    _1311143_sheeppa.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 397
It will do nothing to improve motorcycle safety at all and is designed to make motorcycling less accessible. If improvements in motorcycle safety are sought then they should be revamping the car driving test as well, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

The DSA should be concentrating their efforts on the dodgy training bodies out there who are dishing out CBT's without following the syllabus properly if they really want to make a difference.

It will do nothing to improve motorcycle safety at all and is designed to make motorcycling less accessible. If improvements in motorcycle safety are sought then they should be revamping the car driving test as well, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

The DSA should be concentrating their efforts on the dodgy training bodies out there who are dishing out CBT's without following the syllabus properly if they really want to make a difference.

Hear Hear! i second that!!!!!!!!!

If this is a UK based bike test, how come the speeds are all KPH?:confused: or are we going to be converted from MPH to KPH on the 1st of Jan 2008?

Does anyone know the proposed start date for the new test?

regards bisbee

Does anyone know the proposed start date for the new test?

regards bisbee

It all goes live on the 1st October 2008!!!

All people thinking about it (and there are a few) should get in quick, training schools will be very busy in 2008 leading up to the change. When Direct Access came about in 1997 the year leading up to it marked a 300% increase in people taking their test.

further details can be found on my site: www.art-mc.co.uk or on the DSA site: www.dsa.gov.uk

It all goes live on the 1st October 2008!!!

All people thinking about it (and there are a few) should get in quick, training schools will be very busy in 2008 leading up to the change. When Direct Access came about in 1997 the year leading up to it marked a 300% increase in people taking their test.

further details can be found on my site: www.art-mc.co.uk or on the DSA site: www.dsa.gov.uk

You'd better train me well then Ian:D
If it takes me one or more tests i'm gonna do it b4 oct 2008 then:D
(how many tests could i possibly take in that time?:mmmm:))

All my customers receive the very best training :thumb2

Because of the unique way I teach my students, everyone is trained in accordance to their individual needs. Strengths and weaknesses are observed throughout the course and my teaching is adjusted to promote the strengths and eliminate the weaknesses.

I have no recriminations in not presenting a customer for their test when it is obvious that they are not ready. It is far safer to continue training and take the test at a later date.

Above all else, the course is detailed, practical and FUN!!!!! :thumb2

All my customers receive the very best training :thumb2

Because of the unique way I teach my students, everyone is trained in accordance to their individual needs. Strengths and weaknesses are observed throughout the course and my teaching is adjusted to promote the strengths and eliminate the weaknesses.

I have no recriminations in not presenting a customer for their test when it is obvious that they are not ready. It is far safer to continue training and take the test at a later date.

Above all else, the course is detailed, practical and FUN!!!!! :thumb2

Sounds good to me:)
I'm sure you will do your best to get me through it:thumb
Just hope i don't wind you up too much with repeated silly mistakes:mmmm:D

Cornering, swerving and braking from 30mph? wow thats really difficult! Why do we need multi million pound test centres to do that off road when most training schemes teach that on the road as part of rider training. And where are the equivalent tests for car drivers - an increasing number of car drivers don't know how to drive round a corner properly and yet this isn't tested in the car test. I agree with the above, they are just trying to put people off. The new test also still makes it possible for a complete novice to do a 1 week intensive course and get a full license which enables them to ride a 170 hp sports bike. This is what is causing accidents (as well as idiots in cars) and it appears no one is doing anything about it.

Glad I took my test when I did - no CBT just a half hour riding round cones.

And where are the equivalent tests for car drivers - an increasing number of car drivers don't know how to drive round a corner properly and yet this isn't tested in the car test. I agree with the above, they are just trying to put people off. The new test also still makes it possible for a complete novice to do a 1 week intensive course and get a full license which enables them to ride a 170 hp sports bike. This is what is causing accidents (as well as idiots in cars) and it appears no one is doing anything about it.

Glad I took my test when I did - no CBT just a half hour riding round cones.

I disagree quote...'complete novice to do a 1 week intensive course and get a full license which enables them to ride a 170 hp sports bike. This is what is causing accidents'

the training schools i think do a very good job at teaching(cant remember much of that being around yrs ago?), its not the intensive course, its the individual who thinks wahey!- they got or can get a fast bike and perhaps go tearing around like theres no tomorrow?....

and i think its more aimed at the younger ones as they are putting the age up for Direct access too later on, i think (my own opinion) 'younger' riders and drivers have too much confidence and go for it as such and then arent capable of controlling the performance of the vehicle/bike

also where i am they have put a lot of 'think bike' signs up which i think is good as cars are not always watchful or 'see' bikes

So in a sense( i am doing the Direct Access intensive as such) youre saying that i am going to cause accidents??:blast i dont think so!

I have car driving experience too, which i think helps and yes if and when i pass i will go for a bigger bike, but that does not mean i am going to cause any accidents, if anything i think i would be MORE carefull and observant than in a car!

i dont think theres a lot of difference from yrs ago well, maybe it was worse then you could just get your provisional and go off and ride no training or nothing:mmmm

and i agree they should do something 'harder' for car drivers too:)

its only when you pass your test that you actually start to learn to ride a bike..........they only teach you enough to get you through the test.....they don't really go into road position, cornering, thats something that you learn with experience......its only then that you know what gear to be in for what speed your doin..........but the main thing is to enjoy the experience...
Passing me test was liberating for me....gave me a new goal in life.....:thumb2

I think the big issue with any driving test is that the pupil is mainly learning what is required to pass the driving test.

The good trainers will add quite a bit to that training, but I'm still of the belief that it takes many thousands of miles before driving becomes "automatic". That's not automatic in the you don't have to think about what to do, but automatic in that you don't need to think how to do it.

You're bimbling down a country lane and there's a junction from the left. The experienced rider has noticed the changing shadows on the hedge, has eased off, checked behind, moved into the crown in the road and has fingers on the brake well before Mr Magoo even pokes the front of his car out.

Etc, etc, etc.

It may be draconian, but I'd favour a speed/capacity restriction for a set period of time after passing a test - just to give people enough time to gain that man-and-machine-in-perfect-harmony. (That's man as in human, not as in blokes. ;) )

Just my 2c.

I agree Janie:)
It all comes with experience , same with driving a car- yes you pass your test but its only after time you get more experience and know how to handle situations and the vehicle better

as for the speed restriction Yoda....same could be said for cars too- with speed restrictions...?

On the whole- you get the training, are safe enough to pass the test, and with continued riding /driving you gain more experience and control, its just the odd few the mess it up for the rest

I hope i will be one of those who are safe enough to ride and be very observant and have an accident free riding and driving life:)

When out on the road i try to consider everyone else to be dangerous

Back
Top Bottom